PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX heat etc.

Pages : [1] 2

Orb
02-01-07, 03:29 AM
Hi there,

My GTX runs about 68C on idle at 59% fan speed, obviously i do increase the fan speed a little to make it go down to about 62C, but I want to install some new fans on my mobo to increase air ventilation. I've heard the GTX click occasionally when fan speed changes, or just during gameplay.. dunno what that is. :S

I'm not familiar with installing any new components but I've heard a lot of people use Zalman fans.. where do I install it on the mobo.. how etc.

I'll post a pic of the computer later.. specs:

C2D E6600
2gigs 900Mhz RAM
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Asus EN8800 GTX
Creative Xi-Fi Soundcard
Coolermaster Mystique 550W PSU

Thanks for the help!

Xion X2
02-01-07, 03:46 AM
Your best solution is something that is a little unorthodox. However, I have a good friend who has dropped idle temps on his GTX to ~52C by doing this so you can trust what I'm telling you.

Find two 120mm fans that put out at least 55-60cfm. Place them side by side so that they're touching on one end. Super-glue them together on that side that they touch, like this:

After you glue them together, figure out which way the airflow is going through the fans. You want to sit this "fan card" parallel underneath your graphics card so that it is blowing air up on it. This will force more air through the card's heat sink and fan and cause temps to drop by 10C or more. Like this--

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <<< Airflow

The only thing left to do is find a way to attach this card fan inside your case. This can be done using zip-ties or by taking one of the metal clips that fits on the back over your PCI slots and super-gluing that to the leftmost fan on your fan card, and then tightening that metal clip back down.

If you do this, and it doesn't seem to drop your temps much, then you may need to intake more fresh air from somewhere. A vent on the side panel would probably be the best solution. You can also mount an intake fan on the front of your case if there's a mesh. Also make sure that you have a strong exhaust fan on the back, as well.

That's it, you're done!

Orb
02-01-07, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the help so far..I will post some pics now ( they are pretty crappy quality, I hope they help, they probably won't though, I blame my crappy camera )

so it goes beneath the card?:D

First two: beneath card .Third is above.

Xion X2
02-01-07, 01:29 PM
Right, place the card fan underneath your graphics card blowing air up on it.

Roadhog
02-01-07, 02:40 PM
eh... I've tried that and it only made my gpu 5c hotter...

Xion X2
02-01-07, 02:50 PM
No offense, but you didn't do it right then. I've seen this repeatedly work wonders when done right. My friend's 8800GTX dropped from a 68C idle to 52C idle just by doing this simple mod. And he never loads over 58C.

It also worked the same way w/ a 1900XT that he had before. Dropped his load temps by about 20C.

One thing that is required, though, is that you have good airflow coming from somewhere. That's why I suggested the OP have a good intake fan set up somewhere. He'll need to supply air to those two fans underneath his card.

Roadhog
02-01-07, 02:52 PM
No offense, but you didn't do it right then. I've seen this repeatedly work wonders when done right. My friend's 8800GTX dropped from a 68C idle to 52C idle just by doing this simple mod. And he never loads over 58C.

It also worked the same way w/ a 1900XT that he had before. Dropped his load temps by about 20C.

One thing that is required, though, is that you have good airflow coming from somewhere. That's why I suggested the OP have a good intake fan set up somewhere. He'll need to supply air to those two fans underneath his card.

all it did is suck the hot air off my southbridge and whatever was stuffed under there too. :P I get awesome temps with even just one 30cfm intake fan.

hirantha
02-01-07, 02:56 PM
People use the Winter weather while you can! :p

loafer87gt
02-01-07, 05:43 PM
I installed a Thermaltake exhaust fan beneath my eVGA 8800 GTX which sucks the hot air out of the back of the case and it lowered my idle temps from 70C to 56C. Using Ntune to run my fans at 85% from the default of 59% lowers temps even further to 46C with little noticeable increase in volume. If you want me to snap some pics of my setup, let me know.

For what its worth, since I installed the extra fan card I haven't had one blue screen in almost two weeks. Prior to installing the fan slot cooler, I crashed about two to three times a day.

I am still tossing around RMA'ing the card as one shouldn't have to resort to third party cooling to have trouble free operation.

Orb
02-02-07, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

Loafer could you show some pictures of the set up please as well as stating the exact model of the thermaltake fan.

Cheers

loafer87gt
02-02-07, 12:39 PM
Here ya go. The part number is P/N A2375. I picked mine up for $8.00 Canadian.

http://jlvisuals.com/picture1.jpg

Orb
02-02-07, 02:46 PM
Okay.. that looks like the kinda thing I might just be capable of installing! :P So I will probably get that unless there are any other similar but better fans you recommend.. fan budget isnt really a problem unless it's over 25.

Btw, removing dust from the computer..GPU/CPU/fans too, what's the best method for that? Using a compressed air spray with an antistatic band thing? :D

Thanks

Roadhog
02-02-07, 03:14 PM
Okay.. that looks like the kinda thing I might just be capable of installing! :P So I will probably get that unless there are any other similar but better fans you recommend.. fan budget isnt really a problem unless it's over 25.

Btw, removing dust from the computer..GPU/CPU/fans too, what's the best method for that? Using a compressed air spray with an antistatic band thing? :D

Thanks

Air compressor works best.

daforce
02-02-07, 07:22 PM
Im not sure why you chaps are too worried about heat with these cards.. 70-85 during full load is fine, mine idles at around 70-78c depending on room temp and I havnt had any problems.

When all the initial reviews were coming out they said card temps were around low 80s under full load.
If you just keen to lower over temps then so be it. but more fans = more noise, and arnt those slot coolers damn noisy?

SlieTheSecond
02-02-07, 07:40 PM
Some people are crashing with the higher temps.

And the obvious, lower the temperature is = longer the life.

daforce
02-02-07, 08:18 PM
Sounds more like a problem with faulty cards to me.. but hey if lowering temps fixes their problems then so be it :D

Again the lifetime isnt so much a problem, as most people I imagine would sell in a year or 2 anyway. And really these cards are design for around 80c so they will last for ages.

Orb
02-05-07, 03:26 PM
From looking at the pics on page 1, will the Antec Super Cyclone blower fit? It's dual PCI Slot.

loafer87gt
02-05-07, 03:43 PM
Just rebooted my machine and forgot to crank up my fan speed using N-Tune and had a BSOD. Nvidia should really set the fans speed higher by default if the cards are unable to run stably at their rated speeds. I emailed eVGA about the issue, and they said it is an Nvidia issue, not a problem with their cards.

Orb
02-05-07, 03:49 PM
That's strange, my GTX runs on idle at 67C with 59% fan speed, even though I have a completely gimped dual rail 550W PSU I get zero BSODs.

kevJ420
02-05-07, 08:58 PM
close all heating vents in your environment, get all sunon fans 90cfm or 108cfm (at frozen cpu and performance pcs respectively), put gpu fans speed at 90-95%, and most importantly underclock ram by 200-270MHz effective, and underclock the core to 455 MHz. stock speeds are so high they're rediculous like 3dfx would say. also, you might want to sell your regular version for the acs3 one or the ichill whenever it may come out. it will probably be a cold, icy, snowy day in hell before the ichill comes out though. if you've a 680i make sure you have the northbridge fan installed.

Spartan 117
02-05-07, 09:02 PM
my friend has heat issues as well, but what he does is not the smartest, but really effective, he puts on a sweater and opens his window cuz its winter, and his cards are about 40c but his room is cold as well :/

daforce
02-05-07, 10:09 PM
close all heating vents in your environment, get all sunon fans 90cfm or 108cfm (at frozen cpu and performance pcs respectively), put gpu fans speed at 90-95%, and most importantly underclock ram by 200-270MHz effective, and underclock the core to 455 MHz. stock speeds are so high they're rediculous like 3dfx would say. also, you might want to sell your regular version for the acs3 one or the ichill whenever it may come out. it will probably be a cold, icy, snowy day in hell before the ichill comes out though. if you've a 680i make sure you have the northbridge fan installed.

So basically you would have a slow noisy pc that doesnt crash. sounds like a great idea.... :thumbdwn:

If you are getting crashes because of heat there is eomething wrong with your card.. mine idles 75c and load is probably around low 80's... havnt changed the fan speed. And it doesnt crash at all.
This is basically normal for these cards and what all the reviewers were getting when they tested the release cards.

ynnek
02-06-07, 11:51 AM
This is why I'm sticking with known brands with supported lifetime warranties. (eg, BFG, EVGA)

Its also another reason why I don't buy ATI cards, because there are no brands that have lifetime warranties.

Also, its why I like the P180 case, because the hard drives are mounted away in a separate zone. Cause the components I worry about the most with the ambient heat are the HD's.. and the data on the HD's is the hardest to replace.

Finally ;) , its why I decided to move my computer case itself out of the room, and use long cables.. Vid cards these days pump out a lot of heat (summer time gaming sauna!), and cooling off with air at max loads is still going to be noisy(expensive air solutions can be used to quiet it down a bit), and water cooling is too expensive and annoying for me to be bother with it. With the door closed, even with all the fans screaming, the sounds outside my house are louder(kids playing, wind blowing through trees) and the heat is dumped outside of my room.

hirantha
02-06-07, 12:35 PM
And the obvious, lower the temperature is = longer the life.

Yeah Exactly! Lower your Temps if you want it to last longer.

Thudo
02-06-07, 01:09 PM
Edit -- Updated specs..

GPU Idle: ~55c
GPU Max Load: ~75c (running 3dmark06 benchmark at defaults)
Ambient In-Case Temp: ~22c (this is around above-front HDDs and back near top PSU)

GPU is OC'ed during 3d work @ 661.50/1008.00 and Shader Domain @ 1539.00

Picking and designing the internals of a case are quite the science. Best Christmas gift for a system's builder. :D

Ohhh and.. don't sacrifice your health for your computer (that is.. don't freeze to death for the sake of your comp) although SkyNet would be pleased. :rolleyes: