PDA

View Full Version : Dreamscene out yet?

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
02-01-07, 08:59 AM
If so, how does it look? I have a Vista Home Premium on its way to me in the mail. If Dreamscene looks really good, I might just sell my home premium copy and buy Vista Ultimate.

FastRedPonyCar
02-01-07, 09:44 AM
Looks pretty cool.. and from what I've read, zero performance hit.

I don't think it's worth the cost of having to upgrade though.. of all the features that Ultimate has, I think this is the only one that makes me consider ultimate. But the more I think about it, I hardly ever have my desktop exposed so this would be more along the lines of one of those novelty tricks that's cool for a few minutes and then back to work type things.

brady
02-01-07, 10:18 AM
If so, how does it look? I have a Vista Home Premium on its way to me in the mail. If Dreamscene looks really good, I might just sell my home premium copy and buy Vista Ultimate.

I would recommend going with ultimate for more reasons then dreamscene. In any case, I've been checking the ultimate extras since the 30th and havn't seen it yet. I tried out the leaked beta and I was impressed.

I think it's one of those things I would never use untill I knew I had a bunch of people coming over to my house and then I'd start it up just so they could all go "ohhhh is that windows vista" and then I could brag about how I've been using it for months prior to release...:D

einstein_314
02-01-07, 11:00 AM
I would recommend going with ultimate for more reasons then dreamscene. In any case, I've been checking the ultimate extras since the 30th and havn't seen it yet. I tried out the leaked beta and I was impressed.

I think it's one of those things I would never use untill I knew I had a bunch of people coming over to my house and then I'd start it up just so they could all go "ohhhh is that windows vista" and then I could brag about how I've been using it for months prior to release...:D
Haha, I've already had lots of people gawk at vista when they see I'm running it...makes me feel pretty good :D

Tygerwoody
02-01-07, 12:18 PM
I would recommend going with ultimate for more reasons then dreamscene.
Yes, like what?

I have made countless threads about why someone would want Ultimate over Home Premium. NOONE has an answer other than

1. Dreamscene

2. Ultimate is a cooler name than Home Premium

THATS IT. So please enlighten me. I haven't opened my copy of Home Premium yet, so let me know what is so great about Ultimate.

nekrosoft13
02-01-07, 12:29 PM
remote desktop
better network support
fax
game tweaker
bitlocker

brady
02-01-07, 12:33 PM
Actually I took your challenge and reviewed both installations and found that there isn't much difference for the home user. For example, ultimate does have enhanced security features and network features but these things are targeted more to business. I thought that ultimate only game with the game tweaker but it is now my understanding that home premium does too.

In other words, for the gamer there really isn't much in ultimate that would add to what you can already do with premium. I'd just open and install that premium that you have now. The only other things are the ultimate extras but I'm sure you can live without those.

CaptNKILL
02-01-07, 12:35 PM
Yes, like what?

I have made countless threads about why someone would want Ultimate over Home Premium. NOONE has an answer other than

1. Dreamscene

THATS IT. So please enlighten me. I haven't opened my copy of Home Premium yet, so let me know what is so great about Ultimate.

Well, I'd say Texas Hold'em is a good reason to get Ultimate but it doesn't seem to work with the video drivers I'm using... the text flashes. :p

Seriously though, I think Ultimate Extras will probably keep coming out for as long as the OS is supported. I'm sure someone will figure out some illegal hack to get them working in Premium though, so who knows.

If you really want to know the advantages of Ultimate over Premium, go to google or wikipedia or microsoft's website or something. :p

I personally don't know how significant the differences are... I got Vista through Technet direct so it doesn't matter which version I use, I have them all.

EDIT: Here are the current ultimate extras too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Ultimate_Extras

Q
02-01-07, 12:44 PM
Ultimate = Media Center + Domain/Advanced Networking

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 01:48 PM
Dreamscene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQ-SXkicjg&NR)

nekrosoft13
02-01-07, 02:10 PM
Ultimate = Media Center + Domain/Advanced Networking

+ fax
+ remote desktop

Q
02-01-07, 02:17 PM
+ fax
+ remote desktop

Wow. I knew about RD, but they didn't include Fax in the other versions??? Didn't they include faxing in Windows 98???

nekrosoft13
02-01-07, 02:29 PM
Wow. I knew about RD, but they didn't include Fax in the other versions??? Didn't they include faxing in Windows 98???

only business, enterprise and ultimate have Fax and Scan

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23834&stc=1&d=1170361734

Q
02-01-07, 02:36 PM
only business, enterprise and ultimate have Fax and Scan

What a rip. Wow... it makes sense due to the intended uses of each varient, but it seems kinda crappy to take away a feature that has been included since Windows 98.

EDIT...Kinda...

Actually, fax support was included in 95 but dropped for the rest of the 9x line. It returned in XP, Home version included.

einstein_314
02-01-07, 03:24 PM
For me, the reason i'm going to get ultimate is for the 2 $50 copies of Home Premium I can get. I'll save over $250 getting Ultimate + 2 Home Premium vs. getting 3 Home Premiums...And I'm going to sell one of the Home Premiums to my brother who's going to bootcamp it on his mac :D

hokeyplyr48
02-01-07, 03:35 PM
how are u getting two more copies of premium for $50?

Badboy_12345
02-01-07, 03:40 PM
Yes, like what?

1. Dreamscene

I think more and more extras will be coming out for the ultimate version down the road... Its how it seems now anyway..

Shamrock
02-01-07, 09:44 PM
Yes, like what?

1. Dreamscene

Ultimate, you also get 32 bit AND 64 bit

Tygerwoody
02-01-07, 10:55 PM
Ultimate, you also get 32 bit AND 64 bit
with home premium you get 32 bit and for only 10 bucks(for shipping) you can get the 64 bit version as well... so thats not really a big advantage to having ultimate...

shungokusatsu
02-04-07, 04:20 AM
No DS yet, according MS employer on other forums, it's coming mid-year :thumbdwn:

LycosV
02-04-07, 09:18 AM
For me, the reason i'm going to get ultimate is for the 2 $50 copies of Home Premium I can get. I'll save over $250 getting Ultimate + 2 Home Premium vs. getting 3 Home Premiums...And I'm going to sell one of the Home Premiums to my brother who's going to bootcamp it on his mac :D

We have a winner! That's the reason I got Ultimate too. If I didn't need three copies I would've gotten Home Premium without a doubt.
www.windowsvista.com/familyoffer
And before anyone asks, no you can't sell the extra licenses.

nippyjun
02-04-07, 10:10 AM
On the Neowin forums there was a post about the keys that some people received from MS for the home premium upgrade family offer. The keys didn't work. MS was going to send out replacement keys soon. I'm waiting until later this week to do this offer to make sure i get the right keys the first time around.

einstein_314
02-04-07, 02:32 PM
We have a winner! That's the reason I got Ultimate too. If I didn't need three copies I would've gotten Home Premium without a doubt.
www.windowsvista.com/familyoffer
And before anyone asks, no you can't sell the extra licenses.
Hmmm, so apparently the Home Premium licenses you get are only the Upgrade licenses...that kinda sucks. I was under the impression they were full versions...not that it really matters...I'm still going to be taking advantage of this...

LycosV
02-04-07, 04:27 PM
I did it early and got bad keys but they finally sent me the working keys the other day.

einstein_314
02-04-07, 09:12 PM
I did it early and got bad keys but they finally sent me the working keys the other day.
So they just give you keys and then you use the disc you have (ultimate upgrade or full) to install it? So the question is...can you do a clean install without needing to have XP installed first? Because if you have Ultimate Full you can do a clean install...but will it not let you if you put in a Home Premium Upgrade key? Hmmmm...