PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about an upgrade installation

Ninjaman09
02-01-07, 01:06 PM
I have the full retail software. However, I would rather avoid having to re-install several programs if at all possible (notably WoW which takes frickin forever to install) but I hate the idea of installing an update version rather than a clean install. Anyone have any input regarding this? My main concerns would be compatibility issues with certain hardware upon upgrading, carrying over registry junk or temp file junk, etc., or certain features not functioning as they would from a clean install. I have several hard drives so backing up files would be easy. I basically would only do the upgrade install if there is absolutely no difference between that and a clean one. Thanks!

saturnotaku
02-01-07, 01:11 PM
From what I understand, the actual upgrade over an existing install of XP is better than any previous version of Windows. Old Windows system files get put into a separate folder that won't interfere with Vista. Not sure about program files and such.

Ninjaman09
02-01-07, 01:39 PM
Making it sound tempting...I suppose it couldn't hurt to do an upgrade install just to see how it is, not like I can't just do a clean one right after if I don't like it. :)

john19055
02-01-07, 05:11 PM
There are a couple of loop holes to get the Upgrade version to work like a Retail at the momment ,but my worries is that when microsoft figures out what people are doing they will make it where you can not do them installs anymore.

Ninjaman09
02-01-07, 05:39 PM
I think you misunderstood...I bought the full install version, I was just trying to decide between an upgrade install and a clean install for convenience reasons and wanted to see peoples' experience with them so far.

john19055
02-01-07, 05:42 PM
It has always been best to do a clean install ,if you do a upgrade install it will save your old files in a seperate folder called old.windows.

LycosV
02-01-07, 05:46 PM
I say what the hey, give it a shot. Clean installing has always been the way to go but the only thing you have to loose is time as long as you back up anthing important first.

OWA
02-01-07, 06:58 PM
Like you know, it's better to do a clean install but with RC1, I did an upgrade b/c I didn't feel like reinstalling everything. It seemed to work fairly well but took a long time to complete.