PDA

View Full Version : Need router expert help

Pages : [1] 2

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 02:36 PM
I have an Speedtouch 510 ADSL router.

Ever since I installed XP Pro SP2, I can no longer access its configuration page from IE, e.g. by typing "http://10.0.0.138".

I am sure it is SP2, it happened before, that's why I held back installing SP2 until now that I needed to install applications that require SP2.

There are 3 PCs connected to the router and sometimes 4 when I connect my laptop. 2 PCs have SP2 and 1 PC does not. Laptop has SP2.

Windows Firewall is turned off on all PCs and laptop.

When I try to access the config page on the non-SP2 PC, the config page (after entering username and password) loads part of the page and stops. It's like something is blocking it (I mean the IP 10.0.0.138).

uPnP is installed on all PCs, with which I used to access the config page.

When I access the config page on the SP2 PCs, nothing comes up at all.

I didn't try with the SP2 laptop yet.

Any ideas?

Xion X2
02-01-07, 02:54 PM
Well, let me go ahead and ask the obvious question. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the router software on the main computer yet?

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 03:10 PM
Well, let me go ahead and ask the obvious question. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the router software on the main computer yet?

Software? There is no software that I am aware of. Everything is configured by accessing 10.0.0.138 which is the IP of the router. I have DHCP enabled. BTW I have a dynamic IP for my adsl connection.

The computer I am using now is the main computer which I just re-formatted on 14 Jan 2007 with XP Pro SP2. touch the CD that came with the router.On another PC XP was originally SP1 which I installed SP2 from Windows Update.

I can still use the router like I am now, I just can't access the configuration page if I want to change my ADSL internet connection password, change NAPT entries, etc.

:(

[EDIT] okey, I looked for the Cd and installe this software called Dr. Speedtouch that came with it. It reset the router and I was able to access the config page. After I closed down IE to edit this post, and tried to access it again, I cannot. Quite erratic behaviour.

hirantha
02-01-07, 03:16 PM
yes i believe every router has problems accessing through browser sometimes..

i usually just type the 192.168.1.1 if that doesnt work i type routerlogin.net without WWW.. well then again all i ever had was netgear routers so dont know how others work.

saturnotaku
02-01-07, 03:38 PM
Do you have the latest firmware for your router?

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 03:41 PM
yup, that's what speedtouch website says.

Bman212121
02-01-07, 06:12 PM
Software? There is no software that I am aware of. Everything is configured by accessing 10.0.0.138 which is the IP of the router. I have DHCP enabled. BTW I have a dynamic IP for my adsl connection.

The computer I am using now is the main computer which I just re-formatted on 14 Jan 2007 with XP Pro SP2. touch the CD that came with the router.On another PC XP was originally SP1 which I installed SP2 from Windows Update.

I can still use the router like I am now, I just can't access the configuration page if I want to change my ADSL internet connection password, change NAPT entries, etc.

:(

[EDIT] okey, I looked for the Cd and installe this software called Dr. Speedtouch that came with it. It reset the router and I was able to access the config page. After I closed down IE to edit this post, and tried to access it again, I cannot. Quite erratic behaviour.

Are you using IE7 on any of these pcs? That or FF2.0 can cause issues when trying to load the page. I can't get into my trendnet using IE7, or FF2.0.

retsam
02-01-07, 06:33 PM
the next time you access the router turnoff upnp or universal plug and plag. sounds like that is whats causing this.

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 06:34 PM
I do not think it has anything to do IE7. I also have the same prolem when I had pre-IE7.

No FF.

retsam
02-01-07, 06:39 PM
now that im reading this again, can you please post your ipconfig output. i have a feeling your going to the wrong address.

Roadhog
02-01-07, 07:03 PM

lmao @ router software.

Xion X2
02-01-07, 09:16 PM
^What's so funny about that? I had the same problem this guy's having and a reinstall was what fixed it.

Roadhog
02-01-07, 09:27 PM
I didn't know routers have "software"

evilghost
02-01-07, 10:21 PM
Since you're DHCP your router will be the default route handed out in the lease information. Simply open a command-prompt and type "route print" (AFAIK for Win32) or "route" I can't remember. Find the default gateway and try to access that IP address via http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd like you would normally. My guess is your router's IP address has changed. AFAIK Speedstream uses the 192.168.254.0/24 IANA reserved range for the DHCP scope. AFAIK the router's IP address is also default configured to be 192.168.254.254.

Hope this helped.

evilghost
02-01-07, 10:23 PM
I didn't know routers have "software"

I'd call it software stored in firmware. My WHR-G54S is running Linux (OpenWRT) on a JFFS2 partition (using the flash ROM as RW not RO).

I think the guy is talking about accessing his router in bridge (or router) mode over USB though.

retsam
02-01-07, 10:28 PM
Since you're DHCP your router will be the default route handed out in the lease information. Simply open a command-prompt and type "route print" (AFAIK for Win32) or "route" I can't remember. Find the default gateway and try to access that IP address via http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd like you would normally. My guess is your router's IP address has changed. AFAIK Speedstream uses the 192.168.254.0/24 IANA reserved range for the DHCP scope. AFAIK the router's IP address is also default configured to be 192.168.254.254.

Hope this helped.
so i supposed your going to hand out a ccie to the guy with that information you just gave?:D

evilghost
02-01-07, 10:32 PM
so i supposed your going to hand out a ccie to the guy with that information you just gave?:D

Good point, didn't speak to the level of the audience...

Note that the partial page loads on his other machine is likely due to the content being served from cache and the IP address has actually changed.

Try http://192.168.254.254 as your router configuration page.

retsam
02-01-07, 11:41 PM
Good point, didn't speak to the level of the audience...

Note that the partial page loads on his other machine is likely due to the content being served from cache and the IP address has actually changed.

Try http://192.168.254.254 as your router configuration page.
heheh, thats why i asked for an ipconfig output from him..:D

nmdelrio
02-02-07, 03:48 AM
ipconfig.

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/8423/ipconfigqc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

btw, thanks guys for helping, but I am still :banghead:

retsam
02-02-07, 05:15 AM
just for ****s and giggles, try to plug your network cable into the other ethernet port. also, did you turnoff upnp on the router?

nmdelrio
02-02-07, 08:32 AM
just for ****s and giggles, try to plug your network cable into the other ethernet port. also, did you turnoff upnp on the router?

Uninstalled uPnP in Windows setup.

Uninstalled Dr. Speedtouch software as well. It's (drst.exe) having something like "memory write" problems.

retsam
02-02-07, 10:09 AM
Uninstalled uPnP in Windows setup.

Uninstalled Dr. Speedtouch software as well. It's (drst.exe) having something like "memory write" problems.
no, sorry i think i need to be more clear, you have to disable upnp on the router itself not on your windows box. you know (10.0.0.138).

nmdelrio
02-02-07, 10:24 AM
no, sorry i think i need to be more clear, you have to disable upnp on the router itself not on your windows box. you know (10.0.0.138).

well, that's my prob, I can't access the router's config page to disable uPnP.

I will try something... I will turn off all my Pcs and conenct my work laptop and see if I can access the router's config page. You see, we use exactly the same router in our office's lan for internet access. And I can access our office's router config page with my laptop.

Will update of the results.

[keeping my fingers crossed]

radekhulan
02-02-07, 03:54 PM
Reset the router to factory defaults (this usually means holding back RESET button for 5-10 seconds), connect your computer to LAN1 port, restart Windows, and try connecting. Make sure you don't have any proxy in internet settings, and/or some other proxy SW running. If you cannot connect, you have a faulty device.

Setup your internet connection again (static IP, ot whatever), DHCP server, etc., and enjoy.. No need to have UPNP on.

nmdelrio
02-02-07, 04:59 PM
Update:

Everything seems to be working fine now.

I can now access the router's config page.

What I did:

I shut down all desktop PCs. I did not reset or unplugged the router. I plugged in my laptop (which like I mentioned I use to successfully access our office router config page - exactly same as mine) and accessed the router's config page. I got in! I turned off uPnP. I turned on the desktops one by one, and each time accessed the router's config page successfully.

I do not exactly know what fixed the problem. (1) Maybe turning off uPnP? (2)Maybe shutting down and restarting all the desktops? (3) No idea.

I have a feeling it could be #1 above. #2, No, because yesterday when I came home all PCs were off because there could have been a power outage when we were away at work. I have configured all PCs to stay off during a power failure.

So whatever fixed the prob, I am happy now. :captnkill:

And most of all, thanks all! :thumbsup:

Case closed.