PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Lost Coast

glennalan
02-01-07, 05:23 PM
I bought Half Life 2 Game of the Year Edition and the box says that it comes with Half Life and Half Life 2 Deathmatch and Counter Strike source. In my game folder it also has Half Life 2 Lost Coast. I'm downloading that very slowly right now on dial-up.
Does this game actually include this? It doesn't say on the box that it does or is this like a free demo or just another small map? Whats up?

glennalan
02-01-07, 05:25 PM
Also can someone tell me if this game is worth the time to download? I've seen the trailer and it looked really fine.

tacos4me
02-01-07, 05:46 PM
It's just a Very short tech demo featuring HDR, nothing more. It's not really a game.

Redeemed
02-01-07, 05:50 PM
Lost Coast was a level of HL2 that had been removed. They introduced it mainly as a tech demo for HDR. It also supports HDR+AA if your GPU supports that. It has no real relevance to the HL2 story, which is why they cut it from the original game. But it does make for a nice HDR tech demo. ;)

I think you'll enjoy it- and yes it is free.

glennalan
02-01-07, 06:03 PM
The download says I'm conecting to a server. I played the Half-Life 2 demo
a little more than a year ago and it was actually very long. Are you sure this isn't an extra map to the game?

einstein_314
02-01-07, 06:06 PM
Lost Coast is exactly what redeemed said it was. A tech demo for HDR using the source engine...It was originally a level in HL2 but got cut out of the game. Then they changed it into a tech demo. That's all there is to it. It isn't an extra map for the game.

glennalan
02-01-07, 07:14 PM
O.K. I canceled it. Doesn't sound like it would be worth 15 hrs of download time to me. I probably seen it last year anyway when I had wi-fi and broadband.

crainger
02-01-07, 09:29 PM
It is worth it if you feel you would enjoy the Commentary. It's pretty insightful and explains why it was cut, the process behind creating games and the tech behind it.

Maybe leave it running over a few nights?

jAkUp
02-01-07, 10:12 PM
Yea the commentary was awesome.

crainger
02-01-07, 10:33 PM
I love how they explained the subtle ways they make 'you' the player do things, like making sure you don't wander off during plot explanations or miss watching something cool happen (Like the introduction to the Strider in the first game).

It's a fascinating science behind it all. Not just tech, but to do with human behavior.