PDA

View Full Version : First custom rig. Having problems. =(

Pages : [1] 2

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-01-07, 10:34 PM
Hello, im new to the forums as you all can see, but ive been looking around thse forums for a bit now. I finally got all of the parts that i ordered for my new system, and put it all together. I turned it on for the first time and it ran good, i installed the OS and got to the log in as the user, and play with a few of the stuff. Decided to turn it off and back on, but after i turned it off, and tried to turn it back on, it would turn on for about 1-3 seconds, then immediately turn back off. I dont know what the problem is, there is a green light on the motherboard, even though the system is off.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but if anybody can help me, itd be appreciated. :(

stevemedes
02-01-07, 10:44 PM
Hello, im new to the forums as you all can see, but ive been looking around thse forums for a bit now. I finally got all of the parts that i ordered for my new system, and put it all together. I turned it on for the first time and it ran good, i installed the OS and got to the log in as the user, and play with a few of the stuff. Decided to turn it off and back on, but after i turned it off, and tried to turn it back on, it would turn on for about 1-3 seconds, then immediately turn back off. I dont know what the problem is, there is a green light on the motherboard, even though the system is off.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but if anybody can help me, itd be appreciated. :(

Hey man, welcome to the forums!

Firstly, can you post your full system specs?

Also, are you overclocking it?

nrs421
02-01-07, 10:45 PM
how about some details about your setup?

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-01-07, 10:51 PM
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
HD 250G Western digital SATA 3.0Gb/S
DDR2800 1GB Corsair XMS2
A64 X2 4200+ AM2
XFX 7600GT 256MB

Oh, and i am NOT overclocking it. this is my first build

stevemedes
02-01-07, 11:03 PM
What kind of power supply does ur PC have?

First u want to eliminate things as possible culprits. Make sure all the power plugs, ram, video card, cpu and heatsink are all seated properly. Make sure all the connections are secure.

Also, if it wont power on, look in ur motherboard manual for how to reset the CMOS jumper. It will clear your BIOS to its defaults and hopefully might allow you to boot up again.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-01-07, 11:04 PM
OCZ Technology 600W GameXStream

SlieTheSecond
02-01-07, 11:46 PM
I have the exact same PSU, that shouldn't be a problem. Quad rail at 18A each.

Did you try reseting the bios yet? If that doesn't work. Make sure all power is plugged in. Not only the 24 pin but the 4pin too (near the cpu), and try reseating everything.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-01-07, 11:51 PM
please explain what quad rails are. im new to this building stuff. =/

yes, i reset bios. the system now turns on without turning off, but it requires a few pushes of the power button to actually turn on, same goes for turning off.

also, while it does now turn on, there is another problem, there is absolutely nothing appearing on my monitor. it stays blank.

the monitor is a 19" widescreen samsung syncmaster and my case is the antec P160

SLippe
02-02-07, 12:29 AM
Turn your system off. Flip the power switch on the back of the PSU off and unplug the power cord. Hit the power button on the front of the tower to clear all power. Plug the power cord back into the PSU and flip the switch back on. Power up the rig.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-02-07, 12:47 AM
ok ill try.

still the same. after i re-seated the heatsink and processor. it turns off within half a second - 1 second, instead of the slower 1-3 seconds, after i hit the power button.

Cinema4DXL
02-02-07, 01:03 AM
the cpu fan spinning? some boards may have a cpu fan detect and may shut off if the cpu fan isnt spinning.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-02-07, 01:03 AM
all fans are spinning. the cpu fan is a zalman 9700.

Lazaredz
02-02-07, 02:53 AM
Okay, first tear down everything; go back to ground zero. Reinstall the motherboard and only install the CPU and memory. Make the 20/24 pin connection and 4 pin connection from the PSU to the MB. ONLY connect the power button from the case to the MB at this time. Put the video card in and connect it to the monitor.

Once this is done, attempt to start the machine. It SHOULD get through a BIOS post and give some sort of keyboard/mouse/hard drive missing error.

Let us know what happens when you do this.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-02-07, 06:40 PM
I got it working, hehe. i just disconnected and reconnected all connections. but now, when i try to log on to a windows user, it says i have to activate windows. so i click next, and i agree to sign up over the internet. each time i try it says connection failed, and could connect to the server. the internet is hooked up properly.

SlieTheSecond
02-02-07, 07:45 PM
Router or fire wall blocking access to the program?

Lazaredz
02-02-07, 08:04 PM
Did you install the ethernet drivers? Should be with the motherboard CD.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-02-07, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys! =) Its working great now, hopefully for a long time to come.

Now I need help with cable management, hehe. Its looking like a big mess inside my case, and some of the PSU cables seem so stiff that im afraid to move them or bend them differently because of the force i have to apply, I would like for the computer to tidy'd up before i post any pictures of it anywhere. =/

Lazaredz
02-03-07, 01:02 AM
So was it a router issue or lack of drivers?

As far as cables go, bend/twist away, its not gonna hurt anything. Personally I start with the PSU cables, then work with fan headers, and lastly USB/Firewire/Case cables.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-03-07, 02:31 AM
nope, we just called microsoft and activated by phone. right now though, internet is reallly slow. our connection on DSL goes down like every 10-15 minutes for some reason, i dont know why. and downloads on the new computer are at 20-60 kb/s...

ever since we connected the new computer to the modem, the connection from dsl keeps going down about every 10-30 minutes, and its frustrating.

SLippe
02-03-07, 02:54 AM
The cable management thing takes some practice. Just take your time and don't be afraid to waste some zip-ties. :D Can't wait for the pics!

Redeemed
02-03-07, 07:58 AM
nope, we just called microsoft and activated by phone. right now though, internet is reallly slow. our connection on DSL goes down like every 10-15 minutes for some reason, i dont know why. and downloads on the new computer are at 20-60 kb/s...

ever since we connected the new computer to the modem, the connection from dsl keeps going down about every 10-30 minutes, and its frustrating.

Have you contacted your ISP about this? I'm racking my brain right now to think of something that might be causing this.

Any ideas guys? I'm kinda' stumped...

Dudes__Geof_
02-03-07, 11:10 AM
Reset your modem (and/or unplug the power from it for 15-20~ seconds), if that doesn't work.. phone your ISP.

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-03-07, 04:43 PM
Yea, we always contact our ISP about this, because this isn't the first time. Its like the 2000000000th time it has happened and everytime we call them, they tell us either its a problem that they are having with their servers or whatever, which is really unacceptable, since it affects me every 10-15 minutes and disconnects me from the internet.

Either that happens, or they tell us how to fix the problem, and it fixes it........and it stays fixed for maybe 3 days - 1 month, and then we have the same problem again. And the process repeats. This is really starting to annoy me. :(

nrdstrm
02-03-07, 04:55 PM
Who is your provider? I had HORRIBLE luck with Verizon DSL. After months of arguing with them, I left and got cable (wich was always great). I recently switched back to Verizon though for faster speeds (fiber - 15/2)...

dOuBLeEaGLe
02-03-07, 07:43 PM
we have sbc. yahoo. o.o

Btw, i tried my first cable management hehe. i think its really bad. Its the first time i've tried cable management, its also my very first custom built computer. And i've only been able to do it with the help of a friend over Xfire hehehe. How is it for a first build?

The WIRES!!! Ahhhhh, I couldnt find a spot for them to hide as well as the other computers i see. I can't figure out how to fit them behind the drive bay and psu and such. So right now, its a mess on the upper portion. :(

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2904/cased4uw1.gif