PDA

View Full Version : When are new XP drivers coming out?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tranceaddict
02-02-07, 04:08 AM
All I see is new Nvidia Vista drivers, we need a new set for XP which fixes the host of problems with the 8800 series cards. I hate the fact that I have a 600+ dollar card and I can't play Call of Duty 1 properly.

Evil_Homer
02-02-07, 06:36 AM
I am wondering the same thing. I know that it has been said that Forceware X will be coming out for XP in late January or so. There are quite a few bugs that are still out there that need to be fixed. I understand that they need Vista drivers out there to save face and all...but come on Nvidia....99% of people have XP, not Vista.

Trox
02-02-07, 11:00 AM
why pay that much for a high end card to play CoD 1 hehe

Anyway they should be devoting 100% of their time to develop a vista driver.

The one they have just now is as good as a chocolate fire guard :cool:

nekrosoft13
02-02-07, 11:19 AM
they need to spend more time on vista

Riptide
02-02-07, 11:56 AM
They need to support the vast majority of their user base, which is not on Vista.

Ideally, they need to do both at the same time.

nekrosoft13
02-02-07, 12:00 PM
xp has a good driver with minor issues

vista has a craptastic driver

Riptide
02-02-07, 12:06 PM
vista has a craptastic driver
What are you talking about? I thought Nvidia was "Vista Ready"?

lol (lee63)

Eliminator
02-02-07, 12:10 PM
the last 7 series driver for xp is 93.81 and it's very buggy... i think they forgot 99% of the people are still on 6/7 series and xp

rewt
02-02-07, 12:10 PM
Agreed. I've still got some pretty major issues with their XP drivers.

hasta la vista..

Tranceaddict
02-02-07, 01:33 PM

I play a lot of the modern games; COD2, F.E.A.R., Oblivion, Medieval 2, COH, etc., but I still love COD: United Offensive.

Hapatingjaky
02-02-07, 01:55 PM
In the past with new OS's Nvidia has usually cut driver support to older OS's pretty drastically, I expect the same thing here. I don't see XP getting as much attention as it has in the past. Vista is here and Nvidia will probably focus on Vista instead.

This is the way I see it, when it comes to support Nvidia is like Creative. They release a product and then come up with excuses as to why it dosen't work and support is pretty much poor.

8800 was launched 3 months ago and there has yet to be a decent XP driver release. It came with the nice Vista ready sticker yet it did not work with Vista. On January 30th Vista is release and Nvidia releases the same garbage beta driver they had given the public, only differentce is the version number... January 31st Nvidia releases another beta driver to enable wonky SLI support for just the 8800 series, basically leaving all the older 7xxx, 6xxx, 5xxx users out in the cold. This hasn't been the first time they've done this with support for a product when a new product has been launched, example Nforce 2,3 and 4 issue after each has been released.

Definatley I'm selling my 8800GTX when the AMD X2900XTX arrives. I'm tired of having to deal with 64bit support and lack of driver releases to address issues.

Riksa
02-02-07, 03:04 PM

Many people seem to say this. Why shouldn't you be allowed to play older games too?
I play lots of other games than just CoDUO - for example Company of Heroes - but still no WWII FPS game can beat CoDUO and I always find myself playing it. CoD2 under a thick layer of dust in shelf. :D

If I buy a new DVD player for my home theatre, I want that I can also watch films made in 90's. ;)

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-02-07, 04:20 PM
i tryed yesterday COH with all in game settings on max and Nvidias CP like aa af

and no stuttering went fine to play it

Tranceaddict
02-02-07, 09:45 PM
i tryed yesterday COH with all in game settings on max and Nvidias CP like aa af

and no stuttering went fine to play it

COH plays fine but COD:UO stutters like a mofo.

kevJ420
02-05-07, 06:10 PM

Anyway they should be devoting 100% of their time to develop a vista driver.

The one they have just now is as good as a chocolate fire guard :cool:
i hate how most people hate backward compatibility. why the **** don't people care about being able to play all games on their newest hardware, working perfectly and with new features, improvements, and enhancements? some games from a few years ago or more would look a lot better than most games today, if you could do **** like globally disable texture comp. from the driver, and enable 4x RGSS + quality mode which would double the number of supersamples for alpha-tested textures, w/o multi sampling and w/o color compression and optional, not forced gammaAA and disable the distance fog or choose a better type globally thru the driver. why do people accept what they're given/accept not getting something that's easy as **** to implement and w/o any penalty to anyone whatsoever? they (i.e., ati even moreso than nvidia. i really miss 3dfx, but they no longer exist which makes me cry.) act like all of the stuff that happened to marv on home alone 2 will happen to them if they give acceptable image quality and options.

Hapatingjaky
02-05-07, 08:30 PM
i hate how most people hate backward compatibility. why the **** don't people care about being able to play all games on their newest hardware, working perfectly and with new features, improvements, and enhancements? some games from a few years ago or more would look a lot better than most games today, if you could do **** like globally disable texture comp. from the driver, and enable 4x RGSS + quality mode which would double the number of supersamples for alpha-tested textures, w/o multi sampling and w/o color compression and optional, not forced gammaAA and disable the distance fog or choose a better type globally thru the driver. why do people accept what they're given/accept not getting something that's easy as **** to implement and w/o any penalty to anyone whatsoever? they (i.e., ati even moreso than nvidia. i really miss 3dfx, but they no longer exist which makes me cry.) act like all of the stuff that happened to marv on home alone 2 will happen to them if they give acceptable image quality and options.

When you purchase an 8800GTX your probably considering playing newer games. But in all truth yes I play UT2K4 ( 3 years old ) and I expect to be able to play the game on an 8800GTX although you can't with all the stuttering. The driver dosen't even support D3D9 64Bit code paths...

The 8800GTX is the cream of the crop for DX9 cards. Its up to the manufacturer to give legacy support. If Nvidia chooses not to support it then you have one option, go buy AMD.

Newer hardware will be designed for functionality on newer software.

grey_1
02-05-07, 09:26 PM
Everytime I read one of these threads I just have to smile at my trusty 7800GTs. 0 known problems with them and 93.81. Fwiw, I amazed they haven't been able to piece together a reasonable driver for you 8800 folks. Makes me sooo glad I haven't bought yet.

sammy sung
02-05-07, 09:56 PM
Everytime I read one of these threads I just have to smile at my trusty 7800GTs. 0 known problems with them and 93.81. Fwiw, I amazed they haven't been able to piece together a reasonable driver for you 8800 folks. Makes me sooo glad I haven't bought yet.

And the purpose of this post was exactly what ? To Gloat ? Seems pretty damn pointless,eventough i hate the fact that this card didnt run like a champ out of the box i also know this happens with most new gfx cards,especially when its a completly new design.It will get better as it always does .My ATI X850XT also works perfectly with a majority of games ,but its getting old ,tired and damn slow and since i also own a 8800gtx you'll have to excuse me if i do NOT smile and think of my old trusty crap when i read posts like yours ...

grey_1
02-05-07, 10:13 PM
And the purpose of this post was exactly what ? To Gloat ? Seems pretty damn pointless,eventough i hate the fact that this card didnt run like a champ out of the box i also know this happens with most new gfx cards,especially when its a completly new design.It will get better as it always does .My ATI X850XT also works perfectly with a majority of games ,but its getting old ,tired and damn slow and since i also own a 8800gtx you'll have to excuse me if i do NOT smile and think of my old trusty crap when i read posts like yours ...
Little over sensitive there sammy? The post was meant for the last statement, surprise that you guys are still waiting, and that's all. Sorry your having trouble with the available drivers, but don't read something into my post that isn't there. Now kindly get the F*** off my case.

sammy sung
02-05-07, 11:14 PM
Little over sensitive there sammy? The post was meant for the last statement, surprise that you guys are still waiting, and that's all. Sorry your having trouble with the available drivers, but don't read something into my post that isn't there. Now kindly get the F*** off my case.

KK,just getting sick and tired of people with the you made the bed now lie in it attitude " You bought into the hype,deal with it" and so on regarding these 8800 cards and just had another BSOD running Rainbow 6 vegas smiling wasnt the first thing i was thinking about...*holsters gun*

Mistook you for that category ,apology is in order.And youre right,i and most 8800 owners ARE sensetive,i was originally upgrading this coming summer and i wouldnt have had to deal with the teething problems of not only this gfx card but also a new chipset(wich for all intents and purposes are just as buggy as the 8800 drivers ) I jumped at a workrelated perk wich allowed me to upgrade far sooner than i thought,yay i'm sure happy about that now ;)

Don't even get me started on the 680i chipset,where none of the so called uniqe features work,tcp/ip optimizations,teaming,first packet.Theyre all part of the networkmanager wich when installed blocks usage of bittorrents,enabling teaming drops my connection,first packet makes UT2004 hang.linkboost that is supposed to work with this card hangs the pc during boot,nvidia gpu ex doesnt do jack **** in terms of performance..:thumbdwn:

Atm nvidia is not on my christmas list,had i know beforehand i would have bought a intelbased motherboard and saved me of atleast half the issues.Sorry again grey_1 ,i will count to 100 the next time and calm down first:D

Tranceaddict
02-06-07, 03:17 AM
It is coming upon a month since the 97.92s came out, I really hope another set comes out soon. Moreover, I hope most of the issues get ironed out, the 8800 series have been out now for quite some time. This is getting a little ridiculous.

OxfordDon
02-06-07, 04:03 AM
I've had so many problems with 8800 drivers (BSODs, fatal errors in WoW etc) that I've had to revert to the drivers that came on the installation CD. So far at least no more fatals or BSODs, but really the (lack of) driver situation is a disgrace :thumbdwn:

billos
02-06-07, 07:02 AM
I don't think we'll soon have updated XP drivers since i read somewhere that Nvidia has moved most of its ressources to the development of the WHQL Vista drivers (which don't exist yet)

Destroy
02-06-07, 10:42 AM
Yeah, depending on how fast it is, I'll most likely buy ATI/AMD soon as it comes out. Worst driver I've had in years with this 8800 card. :(

loafer87gt
02-06-07, 11:04 AM
If Nvidia doesn't have any decent XP drivers out by the end of the month I am putting my GTX up for sale. When running multiple OpenGL apps I still oaccasionally get system lockups, and a lot of my fav games currently have issues that were made mention of several months ago. Nvidia doesn't seem the least bit concerned about working out these existing problems, and instead is probably already at work on their next gen card. If there has been one thing I have learned from the 8800, its never to be an early adopter of new tech again.