PDA

View Full Version : What system drivers to install with Vista?

MaXThReAT
02-02-07, 11:14 AM
So I'll be installing Vista-Ult tonight and I'm wondering what kind of system drivers need to be installed. Like the AMD dual core optimizer or nForce drivers.
I'm ready with the obvious stuff like 8800 drivers, X-Fi and whatnot but what ells have you guys needed to install. Asus doesn’t have a single Vista driver for my board as far as I can tell. Are all these pre loaded in to vista for easy use?

ArrowMk84
02-02-07, 11:23 AM
So I'll be installing Vista-Ult tonight and I'm wondering what kind of system drivers need to be installed. Like the AMD dual core optimizer or nForce drivers.
I'm ready with the obvious stuff like 8800 drivers, X-Fi and whatnot but what ells have you guys needed to install. Asus doesn’t have a single Vista driver for my board as far as I can tell. Are all these pre loaded in to vista for easy use?

Vista has generic motherboard drivers, but they do cause hard locks and BSODs with nForce chipsets, at least as far as the 680i is concerned. Nzone.com has some old RC1 beta drivers for the older nForce boards, so you might be able to use those. As for AMD, I have no idea.

nekrosoft13
02-02-07, 11:27 AM
don't use the old nforce drivers

i e-mailed amd in 3 different counties asking about the driver and optimizer, so far no one answered.

MaXThReAT
02-02-07, 12:10 PM
So far I haven't found much. AMDTI has a page for Downloads & Support for AMD and Windows Vista here: http://microsoft.amd.com/us-en/Home-Page/Downloads---Support.aspx
That page just links to all their standard drivers. I guess I'll find out tonight how compatible the nForce4 SLI X16 chipsets is with vista.

rHy0
02-02-07, 01:26 PM
Yes please let us know it goes. I have a similar board and i'm considering vista...

Mr_LoL
02-02-07, 01:41 PM
I need drivers for my Ethernet on my Nforce4 board. I hope Bvidia come out with new drivers soon.

$n][pErMan
02-02-07, 03:20 PM
IM getting ready to install Vista Business as a duel boot as we speak. Im waiting till March to upgrade... so I hope my stuff has enough driver support for vista even though its outdated :p

nekrosoft13
02-02-07, 03:24 PM
I need drivers for my Ethernet on my Nforce4 board. I hope Bvidia come out with new drivers soon.

what? nforce nic is already included in vista

DRen72
02-02-07, 04:28 PM
See my signature for specs, but my rig is running fine on Vista Ultimate using the standard motherboard drivers on the Vista DVD. I've not had one BSOD yet and things are running fine so far. I'll tackle games with Vista this weekend. I'll start with Oblivion and SC-Double Agent.

a_big_burger
02-02-07, 06:40 PM
I get very confused here. Sorry for the following newbie question:

Do I need to insert the old nForce motherboard driver CD comming with my old PC and reinstall drivers after I finish Vista installation? Or Vista installation comes with the drivers ... or .. I need go to the Asus site and find Vista compatible drivers?

My MB is Asus A8n SLI Deluxe ...

Thanks!

Mr_LoL
02-03-07, 02:23 AM
what? nforce nic is already included in vista
Its not installing for me. I tried the xp ones but they didnt work. My next stop is the marvell site.

jAkUp
02-03-07, 02:28 AM
Vista has generic motherboard drivers, but they do cause hard locks and BSODs with nForce chipsets, at least as far as the 680i is concerned. Nzone.com has some old RC1 beta drivers for the older nForce boards, so you might be able to use those. As for AMD, I have no idea.

No problems with the 680i here. Vista has the drivers already for most boards, so in most cases no driver installation is necessary.

Bman212121
02-03-07, 02:56 AM
I can vouch for the Nforce4 / AMD users here. I just checked device manager and everything is installed properly. The only driver I loaded was the forceware 100.59 for the graphics card. No BSODs yet, but I did manage to make COH mad enough I had to reboot to get it to open again. Has been working fine since.

ArrowMk84
02-03-07, 09:39 AM
No problems with the 680i here. Vista has the drivers already for most boards, so in most cases no driver installation is necessary.

Is that going to be the official response as well? I'm asking because I was getting some snap-crack-pop sounds when I was trying to run Oblivion in SLI. The 0802 BIOS solved that problem under XP, so I'm thinking the generic drivers have reintroduced that bug. Could easily be the video drivers or sound drivers, though.

I think I've found the source of the my hardlocks - I was running Fraps, Aero and SLI when they happened, just surfing the net. So something in that combo is bad (probably Fraps, since I think its been updated for Vista yet).

And I haven't had any more BSODs since I disabled SLI.

CaptNKILL
02-03-07, 10:10 AM
I only had to install my 8800GTX and X-Fi drivers, everything else works fine right after install.

piper1
02-03-07, 12:19 PM
650i works out of the box with Vista as well. Updated the sound (Realtek Vista drivers from ASUS) and video drivers (100.54 for 7950GT), and my system is running great.

ArrowMk84
02-03-07, 01:46 PM
Yup, I turned on SLI, and I get BSODs again. I also did a driver reinstall just to make sure. Medieval 2 BSOD'ed with "Process has pages locked" when I was exiting a battle (not to mention other SLI glitches, such as running slower than a single card and battle minimap corruption). And then BSOD'ed again right after boot up, with the generic "computer has encountered a problem" error; I guess the cards are getting to some semi-persistent instable state when SLI is enabled.

I guess I can stop bitching about 680i drivers now :)

MaXThReAT
02-03-07, 09:09 PM
Well i got vista installed yesterday. It took about an hour and 1/2 for more. I didn't install any motherboard drivers, everything was picked up by the windows update. Even my onboard ethernet port is working now, it didn't work in windows XP for some reason. I'm using the speech recognition right now to write this post. I had to train it a few times but it's catching everything pretty well now. Lets try out a smiley with the mousegrid(nana2), nice. My external eATA port still isn't working but I think it's a problem with the external enclosure. The aero interfaces is running with all the special effects, looks pretty good. 100.59 I'm going to go install some games now and a few benchmarks. This voice recognition is too dope, I'm never typing again, seriously... never. Dual booting for a little while though.