PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Monitor EVER!

J-Mag
02-02-07, 05:17 PM
I don't think I have seen this posted before... Damn I want!

http://fastcompany.com/video/general/perceptivepixel.html

SlieTheSecond
02-02-07, 05:24 PM
They have been developing this technology for quite sometime now. There are many other demonstrations of it on the net. Forget where, been a while since I saw them. I'm sure if you look hard enough you would find them.

I want one too :)

Finally the nerds can get a workout playing a game :)

crainger
02-02-07, 06:29 PM
I told my sister to write one of her big uni papers on this last year. She did, perfect marks and was asked to join the uni's research team to do her PhD.

firehawk
02-02-07, 06:29 PM
think of the finger prints and greasy smudges.

kev13dd
02-02-07, 08:11 PM
Wow

Watching the video, it's easy to get caught up and think the monitor gets all the credit. Some of the stuff they were doing require a TON of CPU and GPU power. The monitor has some clever input, but the real horse pulling that cart must be a pretty darn powerful machine

K

Stoneyguy
02-02-07, 11:23 PM
touchable Pr0n?

Spartan 117
02-03-07, 02:20 PM
thats cool, ive seen that before, imagine RTS games with that, imgaine commanding armies with teh touch of your finger, that would be sick

stncttr908
02-03-07, 03:09 PM
think of the finger prints and greasy smudges.
Yeah, I can't stand fingerprints on my electronics. :barf:

stevemedes
02-03-07, 03:15 PM
reminds me of minority report

DiscipleDOC
02-03-07, 03:51 PM
Actually, I can see technology moving in this direction. Having a mouse and Keyboard is becoming very outdated.

Bman212121
02-03-07, 04:55 PM
Actually, I can see technology moving in this direction. Having a mouse and Keyboard is becoming very outdated.

QFT. Touchscreens can do a lot of things that a mouse cannot.

I've seen something like that, but it wasn't quite as nice as that. One of the schools I've been to has a whiteboard that is hooked up to a computer, and the computer display is cloned onto a projector. It is setup so that when you use the special pens, you can do the same thing and the board recognizes the changes, and displays them. It is probably a lot cheaper than a screen like that, but it was still pretty sweet. It also had difference color pens so that you could draw on the board, and it would show up on the computer.

buffbiff21
02-03-07, 05:27 PM

video games? what about typing? :D

i know what you guys are saying though. I think it would be cool if they had a touch-screen keyboard or sumthin. but still, i think wed all keep comin back to keyboards n mice for games. (or in my case, a controller)

Orsenfelt
02-03-07, 05:36 PM

I've seen something like that, but it wasn't quite as nice as that. One of the schools I've been to has a whiteboard that is hooked up to a computer, and the computer display is cloned onto a projector. It is setup so that when you use the special pens, you can do the same thing and the board recognizes the changes, and displays them. It is probably a lot cheaper than a screen like that, but it was still pretty sweet. It also had difference color pens so that you could draw on the board, and it would show up on the computer.

We use them everyday at college, Trust me.. They are not as impressive as they seem.

For a start, You have to set it up every time you want to use it. Ours have 4coloured pens and an eraser. you have to put everything down except what you are using, else it gets all screwy which is majorly annoying. The white surface is slightly reflective in order to protect whats behind it, So its can sometimes wash out and do odd things to the projection. Also, One slight bit of damage on it and its done, They don't work again lol. (We've had 3In the last 3months go..)

For what it gives you, Its not worth the hassle.

We are actually getting rid of ours, Its far more practical to just project the computers monitor onto a wall or the likes and sit at the computer drawing.

It's a good idea, It just doesn't work all that well in practice.

Bearclaw
02-03-07, 06:19 PM
I saw this a while back. Very cool!

Spartan 117
02-03-07, 08:17 PM
they do have a hologram keyboard, just need to make its way into the market :)

i think its called the i.Tech Virtual keyboard

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-images/virtualkeyboard.jpg