PDA

View Full Version : More feed for the Creative haters

Lazaredz
02-02-07, 07:02 PM
http://xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070201141449.html

And we wonder why they just don't seem to give a damn.

Given those numbers, I doubt we'll see a new audio card from them period.

;p

CaptNKILL
02-02-07, 08:12 PM
Wow, I never realized the sound card market was so dead.

Thats probably part of the reason that hardware direct sound support was removed from vista. No one even uses it. :o

SlieTheSecond
02-02-07, 08:48 PM
I am one of those that have absolutely no need for a sound card. The Digital Optical out of the motherboard to my stereo works perfect :)

Might be a different story if I used pc speakers. But they don't sound nearly as good as home stereo speakers.

Rakeesh
02-02-07, 11:13 PM
I am one of those that have absolutely no need for a sound card. The Digital Optical out of the motherboard to my stereo works perfect :)

Might be a different story if I used pc speakers. But they don't sound nearly as good as home stereo speakers.

Pretty soon it is going to be common for motherboards to support ADAT with their optical ports. ADAT provides full 8 channel lossless digital surround, and there are no royalties to be paid whatsoever. I already have one such motherboard myself.

As soon as the amps start supporting ADAT, it will become pretty widespread, instantly rendering DDL and DTSi obsolete.

Riptide
02-02-07, 11:19 PM
I get some pretty nasty s/n ratio out of the onboard sound on my A8N32. If I jack the volume up much I can hear buzzing noise bad.

crainger
02-03-07, 12:03 AM
Pretty soon it is going to be common for motherboards to support ADAT with their optical ports. ADAT provides full 8 channel lossless digital surround, and there are no royalties to be paid whatsoever. I already have one such motherboard myself.

As soon as the amps start supporting ADAT, it will become pretty widespread, instantly rendering DDL and DTSi obsolete.

I like the sound of this ADAT. I hope Logitec release a set of speakers that will decode it.

Rakeesh
02-03-07, 12:25 AM
I like the sound of this ADAT. I hope Logitec release a set of speakers that will decode it.

The only disadvantage is that it maxes out at 48khz 24-bit 8ch. The frequency can be doubled to 96khz at 4 channels. But that is no problem for games as no game in existence uses anything higher than 48khz PCM audio for its sample sources.

For DVD's this is no big deal as they just use a dolby digital bitstream instead which can go to 192khz lossy over the lightpipe port just fine.

ADAT is actually a pretty old standard BTW, rather it is just now being applied to consumer sound cards whereas before only audiophiles and studio technicians used it.

stevemedes
02-03-07, 12:36 AM
I got my XFi for christmas, havent had a creative card since my old SB Live value. Drivers are a little poopy, sometimes they just close for no reason and reset my settings? :thumbdwn:

Bman212121
02-03-07, 12:51 AM
Not too suprising. If it wasn't for here, I wouldn't even have a X-FI card. I've been using the onboard as long as it has been there. For most people it won't make a difference with the $10 speakers that are on their desk anyway. I can easily tell the difference when hooking up my Z-5500's or the sennheisers to the X-FI. There is a big difference there, but it is still a niche market.

mullet
02-03-07, 09:33 AM

Ditto!!

firehawk
02-03-07, 01:14 PM
for plain old 2 channel stereo onboard sound is fine. i always laugh when i see a killer pc with an x-fi and a 2 speaker set up.

ynnek
02-03-07, 01:20 PM
Too bad, cause the latest EAX effects are really nice, its such a difference when a game supports it....

I guess if this trend continues, either the environmental effects will have to be done on CPU, or, most likely just not done at all...