PDA

View Full Version : Vista Success thread.

Pages : [1] 2

tweaked
02-02-07, 10:37 PM
Hardware:

Core 2 2.4 oc'd to 3.6. (orthos stable 24 hours)
Intel Badaxe(1)
2 gb corsair 5-5-5-12 at 800 mhz.
BFG 8800 GTS 620/1800 (bios OC) 100.59 drivers
2x WD 74gb raptor raided.
Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW
X-FI Elite Pro.
2x 20" Viewsonic LCD's.

Software:
Vista Business
BF2

it runs great, no weirdness, no blue screens, no crashes and no problems.
On the desktop everything loads and runs faster than XP.

only game i play with any regularity is BF2 and it is stuck firmly at 100 fps at 1600 x 1200 16x AF all settings maxed. 5.1 sound in game is all good.

I'm thrilled. (nana2)

Happy with vista? See people with Vista problems and don't understand why?

Post about what hardware and software is working for you.

Q
02-02-07, 10:40 PM
I've had way more than my fill of problems with Vista and the 8800, but this is such a great theme for a thead.

Biggest Vista Game Improvement:
Rayman Raving Rabbids ACTUALLY RUNS!!! It was completely broken under XP. Runs great under Vista, even if I can't force AA or Vsync!

ArrowMk84
02-02-07, 10:46 PM
If I turn off SLI, Medieval 2 and BF2142 run great. And Vista itself is pretty fricken stable (only problem is that Aero + SLI + FRAPS causes hardlocks).

jAkUp
02-02-07, 11:08 PM
Runs ok for me, performance is way below XP, but thats acceptable for a beta.

RAY16
02-02-07, 11:50 PM
The OS itself runs fine for me on the system in my sig. Totally smooth when doing things in the OS. Games definitely took a speed hit, but most are still totally playable, just noticeably slower than XP.

chiklit
02-03-07, 01:14 AM
Vista runs just fine for me. At times even faster than XP. 3dMark06 score is actually about 600 points higher than in XP. Haven't tried any actual games yet. Though with the new first-look version of SL I get an average of 50-70fps, on par with XP. For some reason, turning Aero off when running SL actually makes my fps go down by about 20fps.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if someone tried running pre-SP1 XP with the ForceWare 28.32 drivers and see how well all the games ran. :P

Bman212121
02-03-07, 02:01 AM
Vista runs just fine for me. At times even faster than XP. 3dMark06 score is actually about 600 points higher than in XP. Haven't tried any actual games yet. Though with the new first-look version of SL I get an average of 50-70fps, on par with XP. For some reason, turning Aero off when running SL actually makes my fps go down by about 20fps.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if someone tried running pre-SP1 XP with the ForceWare 28.32 drivers and see how well all the games ran. :P

Just dig around the archives at a few places and you can probably find out. :D

So far so good here on Vista Ultimate x32. Only a single GTX so performance is only a little under what it was in xp on what I've tested so far. No BSODs yet, crossing fingers. I'll find more stuff to break when I get a chance to play around with it. (nana2)

Greeno
02-03-07, 03:17 AM
Neverwinter Nights 2, FIFA 07 run better for me in Vista (1920x1600 and 1600x1200 - Dell 24").

Crisao23
02-03-07, 05:38 AM
Running x64 Ultimate here, no problems, but still waiting for better drivers and good overclocker helper ones.

Can't run Orthos or Prime 95 to check my overclocks

top3koms
02-03-07, 06:16 AM
I am very much enjoying my Vista Ultimate install upto this point.Quake4 is running just about on par with XP and so is 3DMark06.Most programs that I use are installed and running fine as well.

ginfest
02-03-07, 07:13 AM
Vista Ultimate here, 7950GT/100.59 drivers.
For general use I already prefer Vista/Office2k7 over XP/OfficeXP and have experienced no probs, just the usual getting used to navigating around the OS
For gaming, I current have Neverwinter2, EQ2, Company of Heroes, Medieval2 and Vanguard-all are running with no big probs, although I'm not a big fan of the sound API changes.
All in all, I'll stay with Vista

Princess_Frosty
02-03-07, 08:09 AM
Vista RTM Ultimate 32bit (with 1-2 services disabled)

I've played through (and completed if singleplayer):-

Company Of Heroes (1 crash after mission end)
Dark Messiah of might and Magic twice (2 crashes total)
HL2 mods, PVKII, synergy, Obsidian confilict etc (no crashes)
Theme Hospital (No crashes, this supprised me the most)
No issues with Steam at all
No issues with recording with fraps
No blue screens
Dual monitors (extended desktop) is working fine

Any crashes where sound locks up or 3d games freeze have all let me get back to task manager where I can close them, windows error reporting delt with everything brilliantly except for one COH multiplayer crash.

F.E.A.R bechmark (from the menu) come out as:

Min 34
Avg 57
Max 123

This is with max settings except for softshadows in 1680 1050 with 0xAA and 4xAF.

However SLI doesn't work so these scores are on just ONE of the GPU's of my 7950GX2

I'm very happy with the frame rate, I get 30-40 FPS in Company Of Heroes and both my cores (E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz) are running at about 70% load and that in 1680 1050 with no AA but most settings between max and medium. it's fairly easy to see then, that my speeds in CoH are limited by the video card, but not by much, it would only need me to be running both cores of my 7950GX2 to require my CPU to be running at full speed (100%) in which case I'd be CPU limited with the fastest dual core CPU on the market. This really stresses how much CPU power Vista needs.

I think anyone getting frame rate issues in Vista probably has a fairly medium to low end CPU, it's the extra load on the CPU thats killing frame rates in most cases. Those with low end X2 4xxx CPU's seem to be especially effected from what I can see. Anyone with a high end core 2 duo seems to be getting speeds which are within only a few % of XP which seems reasonable.

bigjohns97
02-03-07, 10:07 AM
Thought i might as well post about my vista happiness. I started out with ultimate 32-bit and now i am 64-bit ultimate, I ordered another 2 gig of memory because this thing really wants it i believe.

I stopped a bunch of extra services that i don't use and i am around 500-600 megs upon boot. With my previous 32-bit build i would be much lower as i disabled even more in that build but i have decided to leave on all the vista bells and wistle's and get 4 gigs instead.

All of my games work just fine and are playable but i do notice a little slow down. But every one of my games are still completly playable.
cs:S
bf2
all easports games
flat-out
FEAR
COD2
Company of heros
NFS carbon

And BTW being able to set bitrate and freq for digital/analog seperatly is really nice and has improved my mp3's sound on my denon 6.1 reciever system 10-fold.

All in all i can't go back, and i won't.
The only issue i have i think has to do with the new overlay that microsoft has implemented, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before Nvidia master's that.

fatal1ty
02-03-07, 10:48 AM
GTA III (kinda)

Which doesn't work in XP because you get no text to select anything, works in Vista however at the start of the first real mission it freezes.

I was excited that it was working, until I couldn't get into the game more than 5 minutes.

tomb18
02-03-07, 11:35 AM
Works perfectly here. (has been since RC2)
Asus k8n-dl
2xopteron 854
4G ram
Vista ultimate x64
X-FI
evga 7950GX2 (only one proc at the moment)

Very responsive when multi tasking.
Oblivion runs great, fear OK, need for speed

Heck it even found my side winder!

Princess_Frosty
02-03-07, 11:44 AM
Heck it even found my side winder!

Dude, if it can play theme hospital then it can find your side winder, hehe.

verncat
02-03-07, 11:51 AM
Vista Ultimate 32bit here. Runs awesome. The only game I play right now is BF2142 online and it plays without issue. I really wanted to install the 64bit version, but I'm waiting for a few drivers to be released (mainly the Logitech G15 keyboard, Ideazon Fang). When they are, I'll be reinstalling fresh.

Right now I use the Belkin N52 Nostromo speedpad, which installs and works fine in Vista 32bit, but will not work at all in Vista 64bit. Belkin has said they haven't even begun work on Vista drivers, so I'll be hanging it up soon. Ideazon has publicly stated that Vista 32 and 64bit drivers for the Fang will be out on Feb 8th, so I'll be switching over then.

Oh yeah, HP sucks. No network printer drivers for my 2575 all-in-one network printer. But, I can print from my wife's laptop if I have to.

Other than that, I really enjoy Vista.

Shawn

chiklit
02-03-07, 12:13 PM
The Windows XP x64 drivers for the G15 will work in Vista. The media player plugin crashes, but the other's run fine.

fatal1ty
02-03-07, 03:12 PM
Is there any reason currently to use 64 Bit Vista over 32bit?

Q
02-03-07, 03:15 PM
Is there any reason currently to use 64 Bit Vista over 32bit?

That random memory thingy that protects against remote attacks.

64-bit WMP11. Handles large library's MUCH better than 32-bit.

Workstations that need more than 4GB of memory (really more than 3GB since that's about all 32-bit XP or Vista can handle) for CAD, etc.

Slightly faster performance in some limited scenarios

Warm fuzzy feeling

tweaked
02-03-07, 05:19 PM
Vista Ultimate 32bit here. Runs awesome. The only game I play right now is BF2142 online and it plays without issue. I really wanted to install the 64bit version, but I'm waiting for a few drivers to be released (mainly the Logitech G15 keyboard, Ideazon Fang). When they are, I'll be reinstalling fresh.

Right now I use the Belkin N52 Nostromo speedpad, which installs and works fine in Vista 32bit, but will not work at all in Vista 64bit. Belkin has said they haven't even begun work on Vista drivers, so I'll be hanging it up soon. Ideazon has publicly stated that Vista 32 and 64bit drivers for the Fang will be out on Feb 8th, so I'll be switching over then.

Oh yeah, HP sucks. No network printer drivers for my 2575 all-in-one network printer. But, I can print from my wife's laptop if I have to.

Other than that, I really enjoy Vista.

Shawn

I installed the XP drivers for my laserjet 3600dtn. They work fine. maybe the xp drivers will work for you as well.

jcrox
02-03-07, 05:34 PM
Vista Business 32-bit.

Currently I have the following programs installed:

Visio
Visual Studio 2005 professional
jEdit
Office XP
Quake 4
Oblivion

And all work fantastic. Performance is down a bit in gaming but everything else is great, Visual Studio actually seems to be a bit faster for me. I really like the look and feel of this OS. It should become really enjoyable once we get some more mature drivers out for it.

Still have to install:
Doom 3
Far Cry
CS:S
HL2
Fear

Hopefully they all run great too.

Lord Devil
02-04-07, 06:34 AM
Another success story:

System:
CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E6700 2.66 @ E6800 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: eVGA 680i
Graphics: eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 800Mhz DDRII
Harddisks: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB NCQ/16MB Cache
Sound: Creative Audigy 2

Installed within 25 mins, Vista ran perfectly I didn't have any crash. My first step after main configuration was installing HDTach and 3dMark2006 just to test performance drop!

My RAID-0 (Raptor drives) got an 5-8% increase!?

My 3DMark2006 score dropped from ~10800 to ~10500, but well I can live with that!

Programs which worked fine:
Guild Wars
HDTach
3dMark2006

Programs that didnt work was perfectdisk, dont know why as it calls itselve Vista ready, but Ill contacted support.

BTW I only installed 2 sets of driver and thats Nvidias latest official BETA drivers for Vista (100.59) and the Creative Sound card BETA driver.

Oh and the thing which doesnt work too is the energy saving mode... its shut down ok, but as soon as I try to recover from this state the monitor stays black and the pc does not recover.

Kind regards,
LD

RanCorX2
02-04-07, 08:05 AM
windows vista home premium (all working 100% perfectly)

Programs installed;

ashampoo burning studio 6
Acronis Disk Director + Trueimage
iTunes
QT
Firefox
Divx 6.5
Xvid
AC3 Filter
CoverXP
curerom
autocad
3dsmax 9
alcohol 120%
clamwin av
hp 2400 scanning software
vlc
mpc
wlm
flashfxp
dbpoweramp
fraps
quickpar
vista manager
office 2007 ultimate
nvtray
mirc
video fixer
mp3 repair tool
+more

Games installed;

Battlefield 2 + Special Forces + the bonus packs & v1.41
Battlefield 2142 v1.10
Company of Heros with latest patch
Farcry v1.4
Star Wars EAW + FOC v1.5 / v1.1
Steam/HL2/CSS/HL2DM/Goldeneye Source/Garrys Mod9/SDK + other mods
Serious Sam 2 latest patch
Rainbow Six Vegas v1.04
GRAW v1.3
Flatout 2 v1.2

MarcusTaz
02-04-07, 08:13 AM
Guys diskeeper has a trial out for defragging viata for 32 nd 64 bit and it helped me out bigtime!

http://downloads.diskeeper.com/trialware/Diskeeper2007-ProPremier-697.exe