PDA

View Full Version : 60hz Bug Fixed in Vista?

Pages : [1] 2

Q
02-03-07, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know if the 60hz bug from W2k and XP has been fixed in Vista. I'm thinking it has been, but would just like to get it verified by some of you guys.

(The 60hz bug was when you'd have your desktop set to any refresh rate higher than 60. When launching a game it would default to 60hz unless you forced it with the NV driver panel, RefreshLock, or similar tool)

Q
02-03-07, 12:48 PM
Bump.

I know this used to be a big problem... does everyone have LCD's now?

DiscipleDOC
02-03-07, 01:03 PM
Bump.

I know this used to be a big problem... does everyone have LCD's now?
Everyone but YOU :p

I remember this problem, but I don't know if this is still an issue in vista.

Q
02-03-07, 01:10 PM
Everyone but YOU :p

I remember this problem, but I don't know if this is still an issue in vista.

Damn straight, everyone but me! ;)

Once they start making some decent 21-24 inch S-IPS panels so I don't have to look at donkey dung PVA and TN, I'll consider moving on! :p

My dual 19" Samsung CRT's still do the job quite nicely....

Minus the 60hz bug. Which I haven't noticed....yet.

Smokey
02-03-07, 01:24 PM
Damn straight, everyone but me! ;)

Once they start making some decent 21-24 inch S-IPS panels so I don't have to look at donkey dung PVA and TN, I'll consider moving on! :p

My dual 19" Samsung CRT's still do the job quite nicely....

Minus the 60hz bug. Which I haven't noticed....yet.

Have you taken a look at the monitor in my sig?

Q
02-03-07, 01:34 PM
Have you taken a look at the monitor in my sig?

That really is a great monitor. It's a little pricey, and I nearly put the money down for it a couple times now. There are a few things holding me back from it though.

I hate glossy LCD's. My girlfriends laptop is glossy and its horrible. Plus, I need a lot of light in my room so it would always be glaring.

No HDCP. I'd hate to put my money down and not be protected in the future.

Finally, no component or other hookups. I'd like to use it for the occasional console game, as well.

jAkUp
02-04-07, 12:27 AM
Couldn't you check the ingame refresh rate by using the monitor utility to see the current res/refresh check?

Most monitors I have used have physical dials on the front panel that allow you to see what the current settings are

CaptNKILL
02-04-07, 12:38 AM
I actually haven't had that bug in a long time in XP. Any time I play a game it runs at 85Hz, no matter what resolution I use. :)

Q
02-04-07, 01:33 AM
Couldn't you check the ingame refresh rate by using the monitor utility to see the current res/refresh check?

Most monitors I have used have physical dials on the front panel that allow you to see what the current settings are

Yeah, I know.

I can confirm that its NOT fixed. And there are no tools to fix it, as of right now.

crainger
02-04-07, 05:24 AM
I actually haven't had that bug in a long time in XP. Any time I play a game it runs at 85Hz, no matter what resolution I use. :)

Same here. I had a CRT on my rig for Syberia 1&2 as my LCD couldn't scale the game up from 800x600 well at all. I was thinking. Wasn't there a 60Hz bug I used to have? I checked and it was always defaulting to 85Hz.

npras42
02-04-07, 05:28 AM
I didn't realise this was a bug, I thought it was a standard setting. All monitors should be able to run all of their supported resolutions at 60Hz minimum, so when the resolution changes to go in to a game it just defaults to 60Hz because it knows that will work... I don't know how else i could possibly work.

If it changed from my desktop 1920.1200 to 1024.768 and satyed at 100Hz, then what would happen if my monitor didn't actually run 1024.768/100Hz?

crainger
02-04-07, 05:33 AM
That's what plug and play monitor support is for. So the OS knows what res and refresh rate is safe.

Burnt_Ram
02-04-07, 08:53 AM
i have Vista, and my desktop will run at 85hz, but games wont! 60hz for them, for now i guess :( tried Reforce but still no go ...

npras42
02-04-07, 05:41 PM
That's what plug and play monitor support is for. So the OS knows what res and refresh rate is safe.

I guess that is true, but I know that it does not always work. Often I try resolutions and refresh rates that show up as 'compatible' and they dont work. Maybe this is just a game developer safeguard. I really don't see how this is a Windows error - surely it is the game designers that decide this kind of stuff...

Well that's what I've always thought anyway. I guess if this is a known bug that many people have identified I could be always be wrong.

DRen72
02-05-07, 10:11 AM
i have Vista, and my desktop will run at 85hz, but games wont! 60hz for them, for now i guess :( tried Reforce but still no go ...

Same here! :thumbdwn:

Burnt_Ram
02-05-07, 07:24 PM
Same here! :thumbdwn:sucks eh. i had to boot back into XP just now because my eye's where starting to bleed ;)

MaXThReAT
02-15-07, 07:57 PM
Has anyone found a tool to override refresh rate yet? I've been looking and looking and haven't found anything.

Q
02-15-07, 08:32 PM
Has anyone found a tool to override refresh rate yet? I've been looking and looking and haven't found anything.

So far I haven't found anything at all. It's really starting to piss me off.

DRen72
02-16-07, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by duncanthrax...
They (MS) removed the refresh rate fix option in DXDiag, but setting the registry key manually still works:

Add the DWORD key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw\ForceRefreshRat e"

and set it to your desired refresh rate (remember to use decimal input).

Guys, this tip from duncanthrax worked for me. I'm gaming at 85Hz now.

kurt454
02-20-07, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by duncanthrax...
They (MS) removed the refresh rate fix option in DXDiag, but setting the registry key manually still works:

Add the DWORD key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw\ForceRefreshRat e"

and set it to your desired refresh rate (remember to use decimal input).

Guys, this tip from duncanthrax worked for me. I'm gaming at 85Hz now.
Which will only work in DirectX games. OpenGL games are still stuck at 60 htz.

kurt454
02-22-07, 08:42 PM
As a follow up, RefreshLock 2.21 seems to work great with D3D and OpenGL games.

Burnt_Ram
03-03-07, 09:09 AM
As a follow up, RefreshLock 2.21 seems to work great with D3D and OpenGL games.cool, off to try it out. thx for the heads up!

GamblerFEXonlin
05-19-07, 01:04 PM
Anyone get 120hz to work? I wanto play quake 3 at 120hz, RefreshLock and Refresh force doesn't work.

Zenoth
06-04-07, 03:17 PM
Don't tell me I've un-installed my Vista for nothing please ?

I was very happy after installing it (Vista Ultimate, 32-Bit), but after I installed all the drivers and a few games I realized fast enough that my eyes started bleeding ... no seriously though, whenever I started a D3D or OGL application my Refresh Rate would change back to 60Hz.

However the issue wasn't limited to when launching a game. It also occurred in the Desktop itself. For example, I used ReForce (which was never meant to be used with Vista, but so far there seems to be no tools compatible with Vista focused on modifying/forcing Refresh Rates), and set my Desktop Refresh Rate to 100Hz for 1024x768, I apply, and then it works. Then, I change my resolution to 1280x960 (that's my preferred resolution for gaming), set it from its default of 60hz to 95hz (95hz being the maximum my monitor can do at that res, which is still quite good, and the higher the Refresh Rate the better for me). Now, here's the problem, I apply the 95hz setting for 1280x960, and it does work ... BUT as soon as I go back to 1024x768 for regular Desktop activities then the Refresh Rate resets back to 60hz !

Then I set on a crusade to seek for a tool capable of forcing Refresh Rates like ReForce has always done perfectly for me in XP, but I found nothing that worked. I found Power Strip and Direct Refresh, both of which are supposed to be compatible with Vista ... well, yes they are compatible per se, but their Refresh Rate forcing tweaks would never work properly, the best both did was to force a rate for Desktop activities, but it never worked for Direct3D and OpenGL.

SO ... after speaking and yelling out loud alone in my room looking like an idiot talking to my monitor saying "THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!" and "OMG WHAT IS THIS S---!" I calmed down and resigned. All I could do was to go back to Windows XP, and that's what I did, thinking that the issue would never be "fixable". Right now I believe that Windows Vista wasn't made with CRT's in mind. They (M$) must think that every single person won't care about 60hz since they all have LCD's ... WRONG ...

Anyways ...

But now that I've read this post, I see that there might be two solutions, the first being that registry tweak, and the second being Refresh Lock 2.21. I won't however risk an heart attack trying to re-install Vista and suffering the exact same issues even after trying one or both of those "solutions", that would literally make me loose my sanity instantly. I'm not patient with those kind of issues.

So I will let others test those two solutions and I will hope that one of you experiencing the same issues I've had with Vista and Refresh Rates in games will come here and tell me and others in the same boat that the problem can be fixed.

Radea
06-05-07, 04:45 PM
Anyone get 120hz to work? I wanto play quake 3 at 120hz, RefreshLock and Refresh force doesn't work.
You can just use the command r_displayRefresh in most id software-based games (anything based on q3, d3 engine) to set the refreshrate.

Valve-based games can use the -freq commandline switch.