PDA

View Full Version : Vista start up issues?

nekrosoft13
02-03-07, 11:34 AM
I been having start up problems with vista, when computer boots, first i get the post, then the green lines going across. After that sometimes i just get a black screen and nothing happens, no sound, no HDD activity just sits there.

Anyone else is getting that?

Remi
02-03-07, 02:33 PM
I been having start up problems with vista, when computer boots, first i get the post, then the green lines going across. After that sometimes i just get a black screen and nothing happens, no sound, no HDD activity just sits there.

Anyone else is getting that?
If you have a USB storage peripheral (disk, key, memory card, etc.) pluged-in, try to unplug it, as this behavior might happen with a few unsupported ones.

nekrosoft13
02-03-07, 04:24 PM
interesting, i wonder what could be causing it, i have quite a few usb devices

mouse
keyboard
gamepad
hdd
webcam
printer
scanner

Remi
02-05-07, 11:17 AM
I'm going to share my experience here, in case it could help.

My USB drive, which I used with XP, never worked under Vista x64. If I remember correctly, I also had a few problems with my pair of USB keys too, but that was with pre-RTM Vistas.

Yesterday evening, I connected my machine in order to apply loads of updates (it's usually disconnected), for Vista and mostly XP. I was also, for something different, reformating my USB key under XP with the "format X: /fs:fat /v:VolumeName /backup /force" command (if you try that one, that's at your own risk!). At one point I rebooted under Vista and noticed that my usb keys were perfectly working.

Hmm... Maybe reformating would help? I rebooted with XP, pluged my USB disk, saved the files on it, reformated it with NTFS, put the files back on it, rebooted under Vista, and now it works perfectly fine with Vista! :cool:

Maybe it was the updates, maybe it was reformating it, but now everything works.

If you had the same problem and if that actually worked for you, thanks for letting me know and posting your result here!