PDA

View Full Version : Unable to force AA or AF settings

Sectus
02-03-07, 11:34 AM
I'm using a 7800GT with the 93.71 (latest stable release) drivers. And no matter what I do, it's completely impossible for me to force any AA or AF settings. Games where I can enable AA or AF from the game itself works fine. But when I try to force the drivers themselves (global driver profile and application control ticked off) it has absolutely no effect.

I'm basically clueless why this isn't working.

Sectus
02-03-07, 11:46 AM
Just tried to reinstall drivers, no effect.

Sectus
02-03-07, 12:40 PM
Well, I found a solution for the problem. Just installed some ancient drivers (77.74) and I'm able to force AA and AF now. I guess newer drivers breaks some compability with older cards... although a 7800GT isn't that very old.

JaxMacFL
02-04-07, 08:54 AM
I'm using a 7800GT with the 93.71 (latest stable release) drivers. And no matter what I do, it's completely impossible for me to force any AA or AF settings. Games where I can enable AA or AF from the game itself works fine. But when I try to force the drivers themselves (global driver profile and application control ticked off) it has absolutely no effect.

I'm basically clueless why this isn't working.

I'm using using 97.92 drivers, but should work with 93.71 or 93.81 too. To force AA you have to go to the 'Program Settings' tab and if your games .exe is not listed then import it form the games directory. Then, with it selected in the top (1. Select a program to override), drop down to the bottom window (2. Specify settings for -----.exe) click on 'Antialiasing - Mode and select 'Override any application setting'. Pick your setting in the 'Antialiasing - Setting' below it. Click on 'Apply'. Make sure the AA option in the ingame setting is set to off.

GL

P.S. There is no force AF.

Drax
02-04-07, 04:07 PM
Can depend on the game too. In WoW if I have full screen bloom effect on I can only get FSAA by using the game's FSAA. And as is the case with every game, the game's FSAA produces horrible picture quality compared to using the windows control pannel FSAA. With WoW you loose alot of sharpness and it produces some major shimmering on the ground at a certain distance (happened both on my ATI as well as my new NVIDIA).

"Enhance the Application", doesn't seem to work if full screen bloom is on in WoW either, it's still only the game's own 2x 4x or 8x multisampling setting.

On my old ATI 800XT PE I couldn't get control pannel FSAA to work with Oblivion at all. Had to use in game.

...and again anyone who suggests using "Enhance the Application" on the 8800 cards or in game FSAA settings because it's more efficient or what not... you're loosing alot of image quality (granted it can be a nice speed boost). It's usualy more washed out and fuzzy looking. Half-Life 2 is a good one to see the difference with. ...I'm kinda surprised people don't tend to note the IQ loss.