PDA

View Full Version : Just finished FarCry for the first time ...

Pages : [1] 2

Lazaredz
02-03-07, 10:06 PM
The last two levels ... F'ing NUTZ!!!

Seriously, were you SUPPOSED to be able to finish that without cheating???

Anywho, FUN game. Other FPS makers could learn ALOT by the design of the levels. I only wish there were MORE ways around the island and more oportunities for use of stealth vs. blowing the **** out of everything. A good stealth weapon would have been nice. Something were if you use it right, you can take out an entire camp 1 by 1 and none would be the wiser. Also, mines or remote bombs. This game SCREAMED "set a trap" but didn't really provide for it.

Hopefully they picked up those items in Crysis ... CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!

mojoman0
02-03-07, 10:36 PM
Haha arent the last few bits a bitch? I played on the 2nd to hardest difficulty when I beat it and the part with the little boss guy with the grenade launcher and 4 chronies took me at least 35 attempts. The big guys afterwards seemed a little easier. Isn't that game amazing though? Was the first fps I beat since jedi academy. I built my first pc a little while after it came out and I was just blown away with the scenery.

nutcrackr
02-03-07, 11:46 PM
I'm playing through it now and up to the Steam mission. It's a great game to play because even if I choose the same path rarely do the firefights go the same. The AI is still quite impressive at times too. Although I find it odd that the cutscenes probably look worse than the game itself :p

As I am going through it I am thinking about how Crysis has a full day night cycle and how awesome that would be in Far Cry.

Redeemed
02-03-07, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I love FarCry. I'm playing it again on the hardest difficulty with my two GTSs. This game looks simply amazing at 1920x1440, 16xAA, 16xAF, and all in-game options maxed. :p Really makes me anticipate Crysis even more. :D

mojoman0
02-04-07, 12:00 AM
have you guys tried the 64 bit edition? Its on my dvd but I dont have windows 64 bit...graphics were supposed to be a bit better

Redeemed
02-04-07, 12:12 AM
have you guys tried the 64 bit edition? Its on my dvd but I dont have windows 64 bit...graphics were supposed to be a bit better

Nope, never tried it. Don't have a 64-bit OS. But I'll be picking up a copy of Vista Ultimate here in a couple of weeks. Working on a new system build and I'll be getting Vista Ultimate after I'm done with the build. I'll be installing the 64-bit version of Ultimate so I'll probably give the 64-bit version of FarCry a try. :D

Mr_LoL
02-04-07, 01:29 AM
I cheated at the bit you get kicked out of the chopper. God mode and loads of bullets did the trick. This was after my 10th attempt amd I just got sick of dying.

ynnek
02-04-07, 01:49 AM
Its been a while.....

the chopper level and the volcano level was incredibly easy if you just run for it, and only fire back if absolutely necessary.

yea the last part with that guy with his rocket launcher? buddies was annoying.. You had to make your way up a relatively narrow walkway and those guys had the rocket launcher ready to instantly blow you away if you made the wrong move at the wrong time.. One thing I remember was thinking, man those guys are dedicated to their job, cause they would even blow both you and themselves up if you pop up right in front of their faces!

great game.. Totally one of the most underrated and unappreciated FPS games out there.

There's nothing like sitting in the bushes, tracking the enemies in front of you, then suddenly hear others you totally missed flanking behind you, and that flurry of chaos when you shoot at them, and start running around to find another safe spot in the jungle..

Darkoz
02-04-07, 02:06 AM

You don't need a 64bit system to use it, there is a 64bit conversion for 32 bit systems.
I had it loaded with my previous CPU, an Intel P4 670 and the main difference I noticed were more detailed textures, especially rocks and certain beaches had pebbles instead of sand.

It comes with a self installing .exe so no need to mess around with editing files.
Description:
This is a nice little installer that will convert the 64 bit to 32 bit for those of us that have not changed our systems yet.

There are new areas and a lot of new textures and the stones have bumbmapping now! The fps drop is normal, because of the new content.

Far Cry 64-Bit Additions/ Enhancements:
All Levels:
Improved terrain textures
Increased view distance
Offset bump mapping added for rock and stone objects
More insects and birds

On the Pier Level:
New beach road with additional vehicle
Barrel storage camp
Opened more space to explore

Pier and Boat:
New terrain textures with shader (next-gen technology)

Two New 64-bit only Multiplayer levels:
Stronghold
Gorge

Download here........http://farcry.filefront.com/file/FC_64ecu_to_32os_conversion;50861

Mr_LoL
02-04-07, 02:07 AM
Its been a while.....

the chopper level and the volcano level was incredibly easy if you just run for it, and only fire back if absolutely necessary.
Didnt you only have 10 bullets to fire back at them though?

ynnek
02-04-07, 02:40 AM
Didnt you only have 10 bullets to fire back at them though?

Yea, just keep running and avoiding. I did the helicopter part on my first try like that, since basically, I knew I had no chance to fight.

The volcano part, I tried to fight my way through, but I'd run out of ammo, even when I tried to make every single shot count.. then I realized, hell, you can just run past everyone and get to the other side..

nutcrackr
02-04-07, 04:42 AM
The helicopter part is relatively easy, just jump in the stream and swim for it since the trigens don't like the water :)

Redeemed
02-04-07, 05:33 AM
I cheated at the bit you get kicked out of the chopper. God mode and loads of bullets did the trick. This was after my 10th attempt amd I just got sick of dying.

I've never been able to get God mode to work. You wouldn't mind PM'ing me the secret, would you? :D

Its been a while.....

yea the last part with that guy with his rocket launcher? buddies was annoying.. You had to make your way up a relatively narrow walkway and those guys had the rocket launcher ready to instantly blow you away if you made the wrong move at the wrong time.. One thing I remember was thinking, man those guys are dedicated to their job, cause they would even blow both you and themselves up if you pop up right in front of their faces!

great game.. Totally one of the most underrated and unappreciated FPS games out there.

There's nothing like sitting in the bushes, tracking the enemies in front of you, then suddenly hear others you totally missed flanking behind you, and that flurry of chaos when you shoot at them, and start running around to find another safe spot in the jungle..

Good times man, good times.

I remember being in so many situations like the one you mentioned. I'd think I had scoped the area out appropriately, and went to make move to pick 'em all off one at a time- when before I could even pop my first shot three+ dudes come from behind me and start capping me! lol That was hard to get out of. :D Fun times man, fun times. :)

You don't need a 64bit system to use it, there is a 64bit conversion for 32 bit systems.
I had it loaded with my previous CPU, an Intel P4 670 and the main difference I noticed were more detailed textures, especially rocks and certain beaches had pebbles instead of sand.

It comes with a self installing .exe so no need to mess around with editing files.

Download here........http://farcry.filefront.com/file/FC_64ecu_to_32os_conversion;50861

Thanks for the link man, I'll try it now. :D

The helicopter part is relatively easy, just jump in the stream and swim for it since the trigens don't like the water :)

That is what I wound up doing. Towards the center there is that downed helicopter with the machine gun- I made my way towards that then just mowed all the trigens down. :D It usually worked. :p

Redeemed
02-04-07, 05:42 AM
Man, I need a faster internet connection! :lol:

I'm downloading that 64bit "patch" right now, and it's pegged at 150kb/s (my usual download speed). But for a file that large, this is gonna' take a while. :D

Toss3
02-04-07, 06:03 AM
Yep, it only took me two tries to get through. The volcano part was also very easy, you just have to make every single shot count. :) This was at medium difficulty, and I never tried the last two levels on the highest difficulty levels. (lee63)

CaptNKILL
02-04-07, 06:06 AM
Every time I read discussions about this game it makes me want to play it, but I've tried playing it 3 different times and I just get annoyed and bored. I really want to like it because its obviously a different kind of shooter than Doom 3 or FEAR.

I'll probably end up giving it another try some time. I'll download that 64bit\32bit patch though since that probably helps quite a bit with the graphics (which were sort of underwhelming last time I played it).

Redeemed
02-04-07, 06:21 AM
Every time I read discussions about this game it makes me want to play it, but I've tried playing it 3 different times and I just get annoyed and bored. I really want to like it because its obviously a different kind of shooter than Doom 3 or FEAR.

I'll probably end up giving it another try some time. I'll download that 64bit\32bit patch though since that probably helps quite a bit with the graphics (which were sort of underwhelming last time I played it).

Underwhelming? Okay, I know that is your opinion- but the graphics still impress me. In some places they are comparable to FEAR. Granted, such places are rare in FarCry, but still. The lighting is top notch and the texturing, well, not many games surpass it.

Over all the graphics are still considerably top-notch, except for characters- that plastic look gets kinda' old. :p

Redeemed
02-04-07, 06:22 AM
Oh, and the patch is still dl'ing. :p Only a few minutes left though. Just got done playing some FarCry. Might post some new screenies of it in the screenshot thread. ;)

crainger
02-04-07, 06:43 AM
I think the graphics are still impressive. Mainly due to the setting and the size of the levels. The beaches are a lot like the ones I visit everyday. Now I have this 64 bit content patch, all I need is to get HDR+AA working again.

Has anyone ever noticed. If you take a jeep and drive it into the scrub and wait for awhile, one of those wild pigs will hop in and drive it back to the road? That's an awesome and funny way for the developer to manage lost vehicles.

agentkay
02-04-07, 06:48 AM
^^ :rofl I donīt know what they put in your beer down there but it surely canīt be bad. :p

FarCry was an excellent game and FPS! Totally different gameplay and it surely made me realize how boring/limiting corridor FPS actually are.

CaptNKILL
02-04-07, 06:49 AM
Underwhelming? Okay, I know that is your opinion- but the graphics still impress me. In some places they are comparable to FEAR. Granted, such places are rare in FarCry, but still. The lighting is top notch and the texturing, well, not many games surpass it.

Over all the graphics are still considerably top-notch, except for characters- that plastic look gets kinda' old. :p
I think it was the rather extreme level of detail system on the textures that disappointed me. The textures were pretty detailed up close (good but nothing real amazing any more) but farther away they were seriously scaled down and looked pretty smudgy. It looked out of place considering how sharp everything else in the game was.

Not saying it looked bad. I just expected more after hearing all the hype.

Lazaredz
02-04-07, 06:52 AM
FarCry was an excellent game and FPS! Totally different gameplay and it surely made me realize how boring/limiting corridor FPS actually are.

QFT!

Redeemed
02-04-07, 07:46 AM
I think it was the rather extreme level of detail system on the textures that disappointed me. The textures were pretty detailed up close (good but nothing real amazing any more) but farther away they were seriously scaled down and looked pretty smudgy. It looked out of place considering how sharp everything else in the game was.

Not saying it looked bad. I just expected more after hearing all the hype.

Yeah, I can understand that. So far Crysis is looking to be everything FarCry wasn't and then some. :D

So there is hope! :p

SJA06
02-04-07, 08:27 AM
I been inspired to reinstall and play it again, esp as we won't be seeing Crysis any time soon.

The only cheat I used to finish the game was to save through the console on a couple of occasions, as I got fed up of replaying sections due to poorly placed save points. Having gone through the hell of the last levels, the end was a total letdown.

With or without the 64bit patch (tried the 32bit ver - and it worth trying) it's amazing that such an old game is still one of the best looking.

Dudes__Geof_
02-04-07, 11:08 AM
I'd like to play through it again, but I imagine I would get bored... With a lack of time I don't think it will happen.