PDA

View Full Version : ever do something so noob like

Saintster
02-04-07, 01:20 PM
you could just friggin rip your eyes out. well I did. Thurs night I installed a zalman cooler for my cpu no problem 10 minutes. Well I unplugged the dvd rom after the case was zipped up i went to play titan quest and no dvd rom, I open the sude of the case and WHY I HANO ****ING IDEA WHY I DID THIS!! I tried tp plug it in when my rig was on.I got a little spark and the comp shuts down and then burnt oder fills the room no smoke just odor of burnt pats. Well my hard drive is clunking and the bios doesnt pick up either. I smoked both hd. I felt sick and very stupid. mother board ate it also. The only good thing is that I got an asus sli 32 and a raptor and another hd. So i had enough patrs and built an amd 754 3000 rig with a evga 6800 ultra which im on now. Anyone else do something like this. I hope not. Well now i have a backup rig.

Dazz
02-04-07, 01:26 PM
Well maybe but not to the extreme like you just said.

SlieTheSecond
02-04-07, 02:07 PM
Well when I was a kid, around 8 years old, my brother was drunk and needed the cd rom hooked up. I forget what I did but I tried to hook it up. After the comp turned on there was a giant smoke cloud coming from the case and a bunch of wires melted together. In the end tho, there was no real damage to the computer.

I short circuited my old mobo a few time by accidentally touching live wires which gave off a nice blue spark. No damage ever resulted from it. (Don't ask what I was doing because I forget. It was around 8 years ago, i just remember the spark :p )

einstein_314
02-04-07, 02:50 PM
Hmm...I'll admit, I've plugged in many a hard drive while the system is on...I don't really understand how it would fry it...as long as you plug it in right. Maybe a crappy molex connector? Because you'd have to short it out to fry stuff.

And yes, I have done 1 stupid n00b like thing. When I built my HTPC a few months ago, the case I bought has a fan control knob on the front. And a header that the instruction manual claimed was to plug into the motherboard CPU fan header. There was also another plug off of it that goes to the actual cpu fan. But this one that plugs into the motherboard was a 4 pin connector. Kinda weird for a fan header. But whatever, the instructions say do it so I did. Even though I had to chop off a piece of the connector so that it would fit on the 3 pin connecter on the mobo. Hooked everything else up and turned on the computer. Doh! Big bang noise (like an electrical component exploding), a big spark of unknown origins, and nothing else...

Turns out the header I plugged into the mobo was feeding 12V back into the mobo...which blew the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control chip for the cpu fan...and unfortunately it also fried my old A64 3500+. luckily I had 2 3500+ laying around...Oh and it fried the onboard audio as well. So I ordered a new mobo, stuck in the other 3500+ and was good to go. about a month later I was moving some cardboard boxes around and went to grab the one the case for my HTPC came in and noticed a little envelope attached to the side. So, I opened it up and inside was a fan header converter and instructions. The converter was to convert the 4 pin connecter to 3pin for the fan and the instructions were an update to the ones in the box. So basically the ones in the box were not accurate...and they never bothered to open the box and replace them. Just stick new ones in an envelope on the outside of the box. WTF is up with that. Thanks.

Saintster
02-04-07, 07:16 PM
I wasn't clear on what I did I went to hook the cd rom to a molex pigtail and hit it unevenly and created a spark. i just didnt get a clean insert more off the mark. It suprised me. well it was a 424 dollar lesson.

vandalous
02-04-07, 07:29 PM
I fried a mobo by accidentally grounding with a loose screw that got caught between the mobo and the tray. Luckily I was able to RMA it and get it replaced. It was still lame though.

sammy sung
02-04-07, 10:02 PM
I borked a ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe,tried to install the cd2 original heatsink but it refused to snap in properly.And i was dumb enough to follow the install instructions in the manual and installed the mobo in the case first,during the attempted heatsink install the board flexed so much ,think i broke it cos it would only boot like 1 time out of 10.

The day after it wouldnt do more than briefly spin the fans up and then shut down.I then rma'd it as faulty and exchanged it for the board i have now,learned my lesson though and bought a zalman 9500 heatsink so i wouldnt have to install those damn pushpins again :)

ViN86
02-04-07, 10:53 PM
tbh, you might be able to RMA some of the parts or make home owners insurance cover them (if the deductable is less than the cost of the parts) as a power surge damaged item or something like that (some insurance agencies/plans cover that stuff)

anyways, my brother shorted out one of those CD audio cables that go to your CD ROM and he had smoke comin out of his case when he turned it on. he told me later that he thought it was dust and he said to himself "oh, cool" then when he smelled it he was like "OH ****!!!!"
:rofl :rofl :rofl

damn that was funny.

Saintster
02-05-07, 12:07 AM
Crazy stuff I tell ya. At least i know I'm not alone! ah **** happens. I coun't believe how bad it smelled for about an hour. It was kinda of cool that I had enough spare parts to just throw a rig together on the fly. Goes with spending thousands of dollars a year on upgrades. Ig i got some ram and cpu I could build another budget rig.

Bman212121
02-05-07, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure how you did that either. I've shutdown my pc before plugging in a cd-drive while the pc was one, and I'd assume that was all the more the PSU could take cause I've never had it to that before. I hook stuff up all the time live, because I have an IDE to usb cable, and just use the power from the pc to run the drives.

I can't say that I've ever done anything that bad yet *knocks on wood* but I have shorted out a mobo or two before. Once I got the short straightened out, everything was fine. You'd actually be suprised with how much components can stand up to, unless you nail it will an excessive amount of amps.

My instructor had some little electric generating device, that caused an arc between 2 points. We took an old video card and put it right in between the two points into the beam of electricity. He probably moved it back and forth between that thing for a minute as we heard it arc the whole time. Everyone thought for sure that card was gone. We plugged it in and suprisingly enough, it booted right up.

Bman212121
02-05-07, 12:12 AM
I borked a ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe,tried to install the cd2 original heatsink but it refused to snap in properly.And i was dumb enough to follow the install instructions in the manual and installed the mobo in the case first,during the attempted heatsink install the board flexed so much ,think i broke it cos it would only boot like 1 time out of 10.

The day after it wouldnt do more than briefly spin the fans up and then shut down.I then rma'd it as faulty and exchanged it for the board i have now,learned my lesson though and bought a zalman 9500 heatsink so i wouldnt have to install those damn pushpins again :)

That really sucks... Yes I hate those stupid clip on heatsinks. Unfortunately the 9700 now uses one as well for socket 939. I'm not sure what r-tard decided on that one. I remember installing the Volcano 9 onto my K7 board, and I actually shanked the board more than once with a flathead screw driver, trying to get the thing on. I've never had a problem with it though, so I didn't hit anything important when the screwdriver slipped out of the mounting bracket.

Capt. Picard
02-05-07, 03:00 AM
Well at least you're not as dumb as this poor bastard.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/302108/stupid/

nekrosoft13
02-05-07, 08:56 AM
so far i haven't burned a single device by accident

well only thing that i burned was 9800 pro, but that was when I OC'ed it to much.

einstein_314
02-05-07, 03:30 PM
haha, were's kamel these days? If I remember correctly, he's fried countless things :D I think they're all in his sig actually...

Saintster
02-05-07, 04:43 PM

DOH!! Now that's friggin embarasing:)

Bearclaw
02-05-07, 04:46 PM

Wow..I feel bad for that guy.

kwynjunk
02-06-07, 07:10 AM
you could just friggin rip your eyes out. well I did. Thurs night I installed a zalman cooler for my cpu no problem 10 minutes. Well I unplugged the dvd rom after the case was zipped up i went to play titan quest and no dvd rom, I open the sude of the case and WHY I HANO ****ING IDEA WHY I DID THIS!! I tried tp plug it in when my rig was on.I got a little spark and the comp shuts down and then burnt oder fills the room no smoke just odor of burnt pats. Well my hard drive is clunking and the bios doesnt pick up either. I smoked both hd. I felt sick and very stupid. mother board ate it also. The only good thing is that I got an asus sli 32 and a raptor and another hd. So i had enough patrs and built an amd 754 3000 rig with a evga 6800 ultra which im on now. Anyone else do something like this. I hope not. Well now i have a backup rig.

LOL!!! I just did this with a hard drive!!!! I just bought it from CC. It started smoking... Luckily only the HD drive died. I told CC it was DOA and replaced it.

FastRedPonyCar
02-06-07, 10:28 AM
My previous IC7G motherboard's little northbridge HSF died so I just used some thermal epoxy to glue an old amd cpu heat sink to it. It worked great for a long time.

I eventually got a new case and the case the system was in had a removable mobo tray. Unbeknown'st to me, a power cable was on the left hand side of the heat sink that was glued to the north bridge chip. I undid all the screws holding the mobo tray in and started to pull on it and it had a lot of resistance to it. No problem... the tray must be sticking to the rail it slides on.

**Pulls harder**

I hear this loud crack and see an old AMD heatsink tumble innocently out of the case and onto the floor... with half of an Intel 875 northbridge chip still clinging to the bottom of the heatsink with it's kung fu grip.

The inside of the 875 chipset looks like the T1000's liquid metal.

I can't believe those motherboards STILL command a $160+ price tag... It was my only choice though...Definatley a mistake I won't make twice.

Oh and I also fried my freak of an ATI 9700pro (hit 9800XT speeds) when I foolishly didn't leak test my old swiftech watercooling kit. I quickly learned how shoddy the swiftech quick connetors are. Metal band clamps FTW.

Saintster
02-06-07, 10:38 AM
My previous IC7G motherboard's little northbridge HSF died so I just used some thermal epoxy to glue an old amd cpu heat sink to it. It worked great for a long time.

I eventually got a new case and the case the system was in had a removable mobo tray. Unbeknown'st to me, a power cable was on the left hand side of the heat sink that was glued to the north bridge chip. I undid all the screws holding the mobo tray in and started to pull on it and it had a lot of resistance to it. No problem... the tray must be sticking to the rail it slides on.

**Pulls harder**

I hear this loud crack and see an old AMD heatsink tumble innocently out of the case and onto the floor... with half of an Intel 875 northbridge chip still clinging to the bottom of the heatsink with it's kung fu grip.

The inside of the 875 chipset looks like the T1000's liquid metal.

I can't believe those motherboards STILL command a $160+ price tag... It was my only choice though...Definatley a mistake I won't make twice.

Oh and I also fried my freak of an ATI 9700pro (hit 9800XT speeds) when I foolishly didn't leak test my old swiftech watercooling kit. I quickly learned how shoddy the swiftech quick connetors are. Metal band clamps FTW.

LOL Kung Fu grip love it. It's interesting to read these stories. At least it eases the pain when you make your own OOPS chapter!:captnkill: