PDA

View Full Version : Can I Raid X2 Raptors 150GB and use the 3RD HDD for Storage?

Digital_Trans
02-04-07, 05:14 PM
I want to raid 2 150GB SATA Raptor hard drives and use my third 250GB SATA Hard drive for storage.
can this be done in Windows Vista x64? I think my motherboard might support this feature. - ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium wifi nForce 590 Intel Edition.

jAkUp
02-04-07, 05:30 PM
Yes you can, :)

Digital_Trans
02-04-07, 06:11 PM
Yes you can, :)

Okay, great! but how do I set it up? and will it be an improvement over my current configuration? I've never tryed setting up raid before. I'm sure it isn't to hard but any advice will help.

Bman212121
02-05-07, 12:18 AM
Okay, great! but how do I set it up? and will it be an improvement over my current configuration? I've never tryed setting up raid before. I'm sure it isn't to hard but any advice will help.

You need to hook up the 2 raptors to your raid controller, and set the computer to use raid in the bios. Then boot into the raid controller bios, and create the array. Then you can install windows onto the array. After windows is installed, then you can put the 250GB hd into the computer. The reason for not putting the other drive in before you install windows is that windows will see that drive as the primary drive in the computer, and install the boot information into that drives MBR. If it has a readable partiton, that would become drive C and your windows install on the array would be on drive D. If you took that other drive out of the pc, it won't boot because there isn't any boot information on the array, and also every time you try to install an app, windows will want to put it on the C drive, and not on the array.

EDIT: Did a little digging, and I found one of my older posts for the Asus P5B Wifi, which is probably fairly similar to your board. Here is that thread: http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81835&highlight=raid You probably have very similiar info in about the same areas as that booklet, and your manual should be able to help you set it up. Just remember that you'll need a floppy for the drivers, and when you start to install windows you need to mash the F6 key when it says to do so at the bottom of the screen. It asks you right at the beginning of the install, before it even loads any drivers from the disc. NVM, I just noticed that you said Vista x64. If you can find the drivers for it, by all means go for it, but that one might be a little harder to come by for drivers. In Vista, it will run the installer, and you do a custom install. At the partition screen, you can click load drivers, and Vista will let you use any medium (cd, floppy, thumb drive, etc) to install the drivers with. I left the first part of my post just in case you want to try xp as well.

Also, saw this, thought it was kind of funny. http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71611&highlight=asus+raid Now that you have matching drives, you'll have a much better chance.

I've always ran raid, and I can definetely notice the difference between a raid and non raid system, so I think the performance benefit is worth it. One of the things that I also do to *theoretically* help keep the drive faster is only partition part of the drive. That way all of the data should be on the outer tracks of the drive, so read performance should be higher, and it lowers the seek times. I have 640GB of storage that I'm never going to use, so I just partitioned it to 200GB, and I try to keep the amount of data on my main setup under 100GB, that way it is quicker to defrag, and keeps the file count lower.

Digital_Trans
02-05-07, 02:18 AM
Well said, thank you for this supportive information.

Digital_Trans
02-06-07, 07:22 PM
Questions, do I have to set the jumpers on each WD sata Raptor 150GB HDD the same? and which way should they go if need be? Also, can I raid without having to reformat? I'll use both drives in raid for gaming since I'm in no hurry to install Windows Vista. What do you think?

Bman212121
02-07-07, 01:02 PM
Questions, do I have to set the jumpers on each WD sata Raptor 150GB HDD the same? and which way should they go if need be? Also, can I raid without having to reformat? I'll use both drives in raid for gaming since I'm in no hurry to install Windows Vista. What do you think?

Since they are sata there isn't any jumpers to configure. You will need to reformat in order to create a raid array because the way things are set up are really different. In a Raid 0 array, the computer stripes the data, writing block 1 on drive a, and block 2 onto drive b, block 3 on a, 4 on b, and so on. So you will need to repartition the drives windows will see a single drive of ~ 300GB. I think you should try it just like that and see if you like it.