PDA

View Full Version : windows disk defrag not showing proper color bars

firehawk
02-04-07, 07:11 PM
two of my partitions will not show the proper color representations when i analyze or defrag them. this happened after i reverted the cluster sizes back to 4k from 64k clusters sizes. i have since used third party defrager's witch all show the proper graph representations that they use.

windows defrag report's says that it is defragging alright but the colors will not change. its always stuck at %50 used and %50 even though it more like 20% used and %80 free

does anyone know whats up or how i may fix this?. i really do not want to delete and recreate the partitions just to see if it fix's such a small issue.

i've done chdisk and error checking already

an image of my problem:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6082/untitled1bl9.jpg

CaptNKILL
02-05-07, 08:09 AM
Have you used any programs (Like drive emulation software, 3rd party hard drive diagnostic software) or changed any services that have any connection to the way the file system, drives or defragmenter works?

hirantha
02-05-07, 10:35 AM
don't use built in defrag anyway, buy something like Diskeeper awesome software!

CaptNKILL
02-05-07, 12:31 PM
Are there actually any real benefits to using 3rd party defragging software? I've never tried it.

firehawk
02-05-07, 04:18 PM
Have you used any programs (Like drive emulation software, 3rd party hard drive diagnostic software) or changed any services that have any connection to the way the file system, drives or defragmenter works?

the only thing i have used is partion magic 8. as said, i only used it to change cluster sizes from 64k back to 4k

right now i have 2 hdd's

hard drive one has two partitions:

1: windows partition
it's is fine and defrag shows the color representation properly

2: programs partition
it shows %50 used and %50 unused. really it's %20 used and %80 unused.

hard drive 2 has 5 partitions:

1: swap
fine

2: games
not fine. again %50 used %50 unused. when really it's %30 used %70 unused

3: picture
fine

4: music
fine

5: scatch
not fine same thing 50 used 50 not

the two drive are on separate ide bus's as well.

hirantha
02-05-07, 04:36 PM
Are there actually any real benefits to using 3rd party defragging software? I've never tried it.

Captn you gotta try Diskeeper and see the difference. There is actually noticeable benefits.

XDanger
02-05-07, 06:51 PM
I tried defragging my gf's mums desktop yesterday (the image was like a crazy pinstripe tartan, page file in about 9 fragments), XP managed about 10% of the work before it gave up. Used a freeware thing from FILEHIPPO.COM (NICE SITE) and it managed to finish the job properly. Obviously running pagedefrag after restart.