PDA

View Full Version : AMD takes 25.3% x86 market share from Intel

AthlonXP1800
02-05-07, 11:22 AM
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?type=comktNews&storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070131:MTFH03388_ 2007-01-31_00-12-24_N30384740&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=HybArt-C1-ArticlePage2

Wow great news for AMD, 25.3% is a record breaking highest share in the history for end of Q4 2006. :D The news is a massive blow to Intel's marketing push Core 2 Duo in summer 2006, they were bullish determinded that Core 2 Duo going to be the most successful launch to win back marketshare they lost to Athlon 64 and they shipped millions and millions of Core 2 Duo processors then months later they launched quad core Core 2 Quadro. Back in summer 2006, Intel projected they will gain 10% marketshare from AMD by the end of 2006 with Core 2 CPUs but through 2 or more CPU price wars, Intel made alot of noise about how powerful Core 2 Duo and Quadro were but they both failed miserly to gain marketshare from Athlon 64 X2.

What went wrong? I guess Intel's Core 2 marketing is a shamble, majority of Athlon 64 X2 owners like me wont defected cos they will wait for K8L and others go for AMD Fusion CPU.

DiscipleDOC
02-05-07, 11:56 AM
Good job, AMD!
I'm a AMD fanboi myself, but I have been thinking lately about getting a core duo system just to have around. I'm planning on getting another 8800gts card in order to go sli, but I want to have this system burned in before I go that route.

jAkUp
02-05-07, 12:13 PM
Good job? If you have a good product, you should gain marketshare. Why is it backwards in the PC Hardware world?

Good products should gain marketshare, if AMD has a great product, they should gain marketshare. Same goes for Intel. I think it is sad that this is not the case.

Do you think news like this will make CPU companies want to make bigger and better hardware? Not really, more than likely they will focus on marketing and promotion, rather than invest billions into a new architecture.

Lfctony
02-05-07, 12:20 PM
You think that going with the fastest around is "defecting"? Yeah, whatever...

$n][pErMan
02-05-07, 12:27 PM
Congrats.... means better competition... therefore better technology and lower prices. I'd hate to see either company own the whole market.

! ado !
02-05-07, 12:44 PM
Hope oneday AMD can beat intel, *** can beat microsoft and *** can beat google... :D

stevemedes
02-05-07, 12:50 PM
You think that going with the fastest around is "defecting"? Yeah, whatever...

My thoughts exactly. Fanbois OH NOES

Orsenfelt
02-05-07, 01:47 PM
Arn't these a bit delayed?

If thats the result of what happened Q4. Then hadn't Intels marketing for Core2Duo just started? It wouldn't show up. That's the result of the X2 etc which happened Q3 if I remember correctly..

hirantha
02-05-07, 03:39 PM
Arn't these a bit delayed?

If thats the result of what happened Q4. Then hadn't Intels marketing for Core2Duo just started? It wouldn't show up. That's the result of the X2 etc which happened Q3 if I remember correctly..

yeah exactly.. you guys will see the diff in the 1stQ of 2007 where intel is taking it all back.. :D

NV30>R300
02-05-07, 04:15 PM
Good job? If you have a good product, you should gain marketshare. Why is it backwards in the PC Hardware world?

one word.....

PRICE

People can buy a 110.00 dollar cpu, and crank up the graphics and not feel/see any of the cpu limitaions on high res. Let alone, a Intel based mobo cost a fortune compared to AMD mobo's. (nana2)

a12ctic
02-05-07, 04:17 PM
What youve really gota realise here is that it isnt who has the better product, its who has the better oem deal ;). Right now amd is slowly stealing all the loyal intel oems, thats why they are, and will continue, to take intel marketshare.

a_big_burger
02-05-07, 04:34 PM
Well, Getting more market share is nothing if AMD's profit get f. ucked up by Intel. Please read financial news! Intel is a solid company financially. The key is the server market where Intel actually gained more market share in Q4 (1%). Hope K8L will gain server share for AMD... Just look at AMD stock: they went from around $40 to $15. Intel's performance in Q4 is much better than AMD's (just read Wall Street news!) due to superior product (C2D).

C2D actually has caused AMD big pain! Intel is so strong financially. It still made profit during the worst time. AMD? always does bad executions and cause investor suffer .....

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?type=comktNews&storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070131:MTFH03388_ 2007-01-31_00-12-24_N30384740&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=HybArt-C1-ArticlePage2

Wow great news for AMD, 25.3% is a record breaking highest share in the history for end of Q4 2006. :D The news is a massive blow to Intel's marketing push Core 2 Duo in summer 2006, they were bullish determinded that Core 2 Duo going to be the most successful launch to win back marketshare they lost to Athlon 64 and they shipped millions and millions of Core 2 Duo processors then months later they launched quad core Core 2 Quadro. Back in summer 2006, Intel projected they will gain 10% marketshare from AMD by the end of 2006 with Core 2 CPUs but through 2 or more CPU price wars, Intel made alot of noise about how powerful Core 2 Duo and Quadro were but they both failed miserly to gain marketshare from Athlon 64 X2.

What went wrong? I guess Intel's Core 2 marketing is a shamble, majority of Athlon 64 X2 owners like me wont defected cos they will wait for K8L and others go for AMD Fusion CPU.

Dazz
02-05-07, 04:58 PM
I must amit AMD has Intel beaten on price for CPU's and motherboards as most people are not will to spend $300 on a CPU $200+ on a motherboard etc it all mounts up.

evilchris
02-05-07, 05:22 PM
. Let alone, a Intel based mobo cost a fortune compared to AMD mobo's. (nana2)
that's because AMD mainboards are cheap taiwanese pieces of ****.

Hm, Intel branded mainboard of piece of crap Lucky Star. Tough one there...

evilchris
02-05-07, 05:22 PM
What youve really gota realise here is that it isnt who has the better product, its who has the better oem deal ;). Right now amd is slowly stealing all the loyal intel oems, thats why they are, and will continue, to take intel marketshare.

Wow, fortune telling are we?

Treason
02-06-07, 03:31 PM
I think the biggest hurdle for Intel's core 2 duo was the original pricing of the supporting socket 775 motherboards. I say blame should be put on the motherboard manufacturers and partly on Intel's marketing team.

The remaing stock of socket 939 and newer AM2 motherboards however, are affordably priced.