PDA

View Full Version : How do we judge cards with no dx9 games?

shinrai
03-11-03, 05:19 PM
One thing on my mind. When are the first directx 9 games coming out? I am overall a little hesitant in buying a card now because we haven't seen what the cards can do with dx9. Who knows, maybe they all perform badly and it won't be until the nv40/r400 that we get good performance.

I personally believe it would be in the benefit of the industry if idsoftware released a demo to various 'trustworthy' sites, as Epic did with UT2003, to give all of us an indication of dx9 performance for the current crop of cards. If i remember correctly, they did this for Quake 3.

Greg
03-11-03, 09:06 PM
You'll just have to buy one based on what's on the box!

If you see words like HyperZCompression 3!, or LightspeedMemoryAchitechure Pro Gold Plus!, then that's got to be good.

If you see pictures of dangerous animals, futuristic women, speeding vehicles, or lots of fire, then it'll be a real fast card.

And don't forget stats, big numbers mean all your games will look better and be more fun.

Also, if there's words you don't know the meaning of, you know the card will be future proof for ages.

Hope that helps!

ragejg
03-11-03, 09:42 PM
Sad but sorta true...

...heh...

shinrai
03-11-03, 09:48 PM
Just like Directx+, from nvidia and ++ from ATI.

Maybe the "+" actually means dx10 for nvidia and "++" actually means dx11 compatibility for ATI.

sebazve
03-11-03, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by shinrai
One thing on my mind. When are the first directx 9 games coming out? I am overall a little hesitant in buying a card now because we haven't seen what the cards can do with dx9. Who knows, maybe they all perform badly and it won't be until the nv40/r400 that we get good performance.

I personally believe it would be in the benefit of the industry if idsoftware released a demo to various 'trustworthy' sites, as Epic did with UT2003, to give all of us an indication of dx9 performance for the current crop of cards. If i remember correctly, they did this for Quake 3.

the simple awsner is you just cant...just buy the best card thats gives you the best price/perfomance ratio with your budget in todays games...
it has been always like this...

stncttr908
03-12-03, 06:57 AM
The only game that I've seen that I've played that requires installation of dx9 is Nascar 2003 Season, but I visually see nothing much more complex over 2002, which only needed 8.0 or later.

Edge
03-12-03, 11:36 PM
Well, since DirectX 8 games are just starting to come out, I think it will be a while before DirectX 9 feature-games come out. Actually, I almost wouldn't be suprised if they didn't start becoming mainstream until new Direct-X 9 enabled consoles start using the features in games, there's around 60 games on Xbox that use DirectX 8 features for games but only around 5 for PC, so it seems that developers are afraid to add features that aren't standardized.

-=DVS=-
03-13-03, 03:05 AM
How do we judge cards with no dx9 games?

We play DX8 games and then we judge :D

When DX 10 cards will come out we will play DX 9 games and judge them by that ;)

Edge
03-13-03, 03:37 AM
Actually from what I understand DirectX 9 will be the last Direct X for a while, Microsoft is putting more effort into thier next OS and gaming ideas with it, and they say that DirectX 9 will probably last a while before it needs updating, so if you get a DirectX9 compatable card it will probably last you a while (until 3dmark 2005, anyway :-)

Grechie
03-15-03, 07:46 AM
thats all good, but wat do they mean wen they say, these new drivers support dx9, who cares wen no games run dx 9 yet, !? by the time they come out that set of drivers will most likely be out dated ?

raystone57
03-15-03, 06:05 PM
I think my install of the full Freelancer required Dx9 which I have. I know the demo would not install when I had Dx 8.1. Have no idea if the game uses Dx 9 features in the slightest.

Raystone
-------------------------
1.6 ghz p4, Intel d845wn mobo
Radeon 64 mb 8500 retail - no overclock
Maxtor 40 gb - 5400 rpm, Toshiba 16x40 dvd rom
Creative 12x10x32 cd-rw, 512 mb pc133 sdram
On board sound, 3Com nic/cable, Win XP Home