PDA

View Full Version : Does NVIDIA driver have an option to center and not stretch non-native resolutions?

Pages : [1] 2

ant
02-05-07, 02:06 PM
Hello,

I recently replaced my old dying 17" CRT monitor with a 19" LCD monitor. I hate the stretch feature when not using non-native resolutions. Is there an option in the newest NVIDIA drivers to not stretch and just center the non-stretched resolution (e.g., 800x600). I can't seem to find it.

Thank you in advance. :)

Eliminator
02-05-07, 03:10 PM
in the new control panel just go to display and then flat panel scaling.... you can pick nvidia fixed aspect scaling or your own lcd scaling which you should have some menu on the monitor

ant
02-05-07, 03:16 PM
in the new control panel just go to display and then flat panel scaling.... you can pick nvidia fixed aspect scaling or your own lcd scaling which you should have some menu on the monitorDoes it exist for the old control panel which I use?

rewt
02-05-07, 05:14 PM
Sure does. Digital Flat Panel Settings.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/542/dfpul5.png

shmall
02-05-07, 05:24 PM
doesn't work for me on the new drivers, I had to go back to the 96.89 to get that to work on my widescreen LCD?

Simon

rewt
02-05-07, 05:26 PM
Don't feel too bad. Everything past 91.xx is crud for me, so I'm currently using 91.63 from laptopvideo2go

ant
02-05-07, 11:26 PM
Strange, NVIDIA driver thinks I am using CRT even though I have the correct monitor driver installed showing in Windows XP Pro. SP2's Device Manager. What the heck? Even my Linux NVIDIA driver thinks the same. Eh?

I forgot to mention I am using VGA connection due to my old 2-ports Belkin KVM since I share computers with PS/2 mouse and monitor. I also had a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 763MB CRT before I got this new Samsung SyncMaster 931BF LCD monitor. Driver just says "Samsung SyncMaster" but no model number.

Destroy
02-06-07, 10:21 AM
This feature is broken. Many threads on subject like here.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82611

ant
02-06-07, 10:37 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82611Ugh, but why is my Linux driver showing the same? Is Linux one bugged too?

OWA
02-06-07, 10:41 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82611
Broken for some but not all. It works fine for me.

fivefeet8
02-06-07, 11:06 AM
Works fine here as well. You might want to see if your LCD has it's own resolution scaling options.

ant
02-06-07, 11:08 AM
Works fine here as well. You might want to see if your LCD has it's own resolution scaling options.My monitor doesn't have options to scale or not if you are referring to the buttons on it.

I am still scratching my head why my NVIDIA drivers in Windows and Linux think I am using a CRT. :(

j0j081
02-06-07, 12:36 PM
My monitor doesn't have options to scale or not if you are referring to the buttons on it.

I am still scratching my head why my NVIDIA drivers in Windows and Linux think I am using a CRT. :(
I have the 931BW. Similar to yours but widescreen of course. The scaling is built right in the LCD will do it when necessary. As for it not being recognized correctly did you install the driver that came with it?

ant
02-06-07, 12:43 PM
I have the 931BW. Similar to yours but widescreen of course. The scaling is built right in the LCD will do it when necessary. As for it not being recognized correctly did you install the driver that came with it?Yes, from Samsung's Web site (not the CD in case it is newer). I wonder if it is my KVM and VGA connections (don't have a DVI cable to test)?

Ancient
02-06-07, 01:54 PM
My monitor doesn't have options to scale or not if you are referring to the buttons on it.

A wild guess, but it's likely that your monitor is seen as a CRT because you're using VGA, which is analog, instead of a digital connection. A digital connection is bi-directional so your video driver can obtain information from your monitor and control some settings, such as scaling.

ant
02-06-07, 02:22 PM
A wild guess, but it's likely that your monitor is seen as a CRT because you're using VGA, which is analog, instead of a digital connection. A digital connection is bi-directional so your video driver can obtain information from your monitor and control some settings, such as scaling.Hmm. I would go DVI, but I noticed the high prices of KVM switches with DVI. Also, they don't seem to have PS/2 with DVI (only USB). Plus, I have to get new cables, an USB mouse and USB keyboard since I share the same monitor, keeyboard and mouse between two computers (Linux and Windows XP). :(

Is anyone else noticing this behavior with VGA connection with LCD monitors, or just me?

Ancient
02-06-07, 02:33 PM
You could go DVI from the windows box to the LCD and VGA from the Linux box. You'd have to swap inputs on the monitor and KVM to use one or the other, but it's a cheaper route than getting a new KVM.

At the very least, if you already have A DVI cable you could test it out with a direct connection to one of the boxen to see if that actually is the problem.

ant
02-06-07, 02:38 PM
You could go DVI from the windows box to the LCD and VGA from the Linux box. You'd have to swap inputs on the monitor and KVM to use one or the other, but it's a cheaper route than getting a new KVM.

At the very least, if you already have A DVI cable you could test it out with a direct connection to one of the boxen to see if that actually is the problem.Are you saying to get one of those DVI to VGA adapters that come with video cards (I know both of my video cards use them since they don't have VGA ports)? Also, isn't using these still considered analog (losing colors and stuff) instead of pure DVI (no conversions)? Lastly, are all DVI cables are the same with their head ends or is there a specific one I want? http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200602/20060213195224218/EN/4_sub.htm shows the setup diagram. I think I will ask around to see who has a spare one.

Ancient
02-06-07, 03:08 PM
Are you saying to get one of those DVI to VGA adapters that come with video cards (I know both of my video cards use them since they don't have VGA ports)? Also, isn't using these still considered analog (losing colors and stuff) instead of pure DVI (no conversions)? Lastly, are all DVI cables are the same with their head ends or is there a specific one I want? http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200602/20060213195224218/EN/4_sub.htm shows the setup diagram. I think I will ask around to see who has a spare one.
No. I'm saying that the video cables should not use your KVM. One box should connect directly to the LCD using DVI->DVI and the other connecting directly using the VGA connection. That way you'll be able to connect at least one box via digital instead of neither of them as you have it now.

ant
02-06-07, 03:20 PM
No. I'm saying that the video cables should not use your KVM. One box should connect directly to the LCD using DVI->DVI and the other connecting directly using the VGA connection. That way you'll be able to connect at least one box via digital instead of neither of them as you have it now.Umm... if I have the LCD monitor connected to both computers (one DVI and one VGA), then how do I switch between computers?

Ancient
02-06-07, 03:28 PM
Umm... if I have the LCD monitor connected to both computers (one DVI and one VGA), then how do I switch between computers?
Use the controls on the monitor to switch between video source inputs.

Edit. It's not ideal, obviously, but it is a cheap and dirty partial solution. It beats dishing out 200 bucks for a DVI KVM switch.

ant
02-06-07, 04:08 PM
Use the controls on the monitor to switch between video source inputs.

Edit. It's not ideal, obviously, but it is a cheap and dirty partial solution. It beats dishing out 200 bucks for a DVI KVM switch.Oooh, I didn't know I could that! Bummer that Linux wouldn't be in DVI format though if I did this setup. :(

I wonder why these DVI KVMs are so expensive! :(

Hey, I did notice one thing. It takes 1-2 seconds to switch between computers. Would using the monitor's method be quick? When I had the CRT, it was quick.

Ancient
02-06-07, 08:39 PM
Oooh, I didn't know I could that! Bummer that Linux wouldn't be in DVI format though if I did this setup. :(

I wonder why these DVI KVMs are so expensive! :(

Hey, I did notice one thing. It takes 1-2 seconds to switch between computers. Would using the monitor's method be quick? When I had the CRT, it was quick.
Don't know what monitor you have but switching inputs on any monitor I've used, LCD or otherwise, has always been a quick process.

Sucks that those DVI KVMs are so expensive. It's probably because they're not hugely popular yet. In time that should change.

ant
02-06-07, 08:44 PM
Don't know what monitor you have but switching inputs on any monitor I've used, LCD or otherwise, has always been a quick process.

Sucks that those DVI KVMs are so expensive. It's probably because they're not hugely popular yet. In time that should change.I will try your idea and see how that goes eventually. First, I need a DVI cable. :)

I hope so too for the chepaer prices so I can dump my own one.

ant
02-07-07, 04:18 AM
I just realized something. If I am going to hook up the monitor via both VGA and DVI, does that mean I have to press two buttons (KVM and monitor)? If so, then that is going to be annoying since I switch often. :(