PDA

View Full Version : help retreiving data

shaker718
02-05-07, 05:00 PM
So we had a bit of a flood at my office and our dell has kicked the bucket. It booted to the desktop and seemed to be working just fine, but after turning off and trying to turn it back on, it wouldn't boot. So my question is can I safely just take the Harddrive out and install it in my home computer to retreive the data? What should my procedure be? Safe boot into this drive? can I put it an USB enclosure and back up the data that way? Thanks for your help!:headexplode:

shaker718
02-05-07, 05:41 PM
Hey sorry, but bump! I need the info before I leave work.

Spartan 117
02-05-07, 07:53 PM
im not sure, chances are it got corrosion from the water, and the best thing to truly retrieve it is to send it in to one of those data recovery companies, but im not sure how much they charge, but they can recover data from even crashed HDD's, but its worth a try at home

shaker718
02-05-07, 08:02 PM
well the mobo is now fried, but since it did boot up once all the way, I even went online and checked my email, I believe the hard drive is fine. And let's say it is fine, can I then put it in a USB enclosure and get the files out safely? etc. Any help would be appreciated. I have the drive with me at home so I can test it.

Edited for clarity.

shaker718
02-05-07, 08:42 PM
I just installed the drive to my USB hard drive enclosure and am now transferring all the files to my home computer. thanks for the feedback.

Spartan 117
02-05-07, 09:06 PM
well at least you got your data :)

shaker718
02-05-07, 09:13 PM
well at least you got your data :)

No kidding. My boss would've had my ass if I couldn't get the files back. I was told last week to back everything up, but I flaked since we've been so busy. :headexplode:

Spartan 117
02-05-07, 09:17 PM
lol, well at least the only computer I work with is the Teller office computer that has a program called vericash, easy to use and is for counting the registers and such :)

Alpha_alpha
07-17-07, 01:08 AM
You were lucky shaker718 that you back back your data as just connecting as slave drive. There are instance when hard drive becomes inaccessible then connecting as a slave also doesn't help. I have to employee third party tool to recovery my data back from my inaccessible hard drive. I used Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery (http://www.stellarinfo.com) Software, although it cost me $99 but in the end I was satisfied as I got back my data.