PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried FSX on Vista?

sillyeagle
02-05-07, 08:05 PM
I've heard reports its much smoother, as in all the stutters are gone, though FPS are about the same. Anybody here experienced that?

Q
02-05-07, 10:27 PM
I've heard reports its much smoother, as in all the stutters are gone, though FPS are about the same. Anybody here experienced that?

The exact opposite. It runs slower, sometimes significantly. Once the drivers mature more and they put out the DX10 patch, it should be a bit better.

einstein_314
02-05-07, 11:36 PM
Nope haven't tried it yet. But that's because I'm waiting for SLi support in the drivers for my 7800GTX's....I've heard mixed reports really. I think the DX10 patch will really help. Time will only tell I guess...

sillyeagle
02-06-07, 02:36 AM
FSX SP1 is said to be out "after january", and the DX10 patch later in the year.

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-06-07, 06:18 AM
i installed .net frmae 3.0 on my WIN XP should i keep it or?

if it slows down or can cause problems in games iŽll uninstall it

Bearclaw
02-06-07, 08:38 AM
FSX SP1 is said to be out "after january", and the DX10 patch later in the year.
What is this and what is it suppose to do?

glObalist
02-06-07, 08:50 AM

Which part of his statement did you understand? :D

sillyeagle
02-07-07, 06:54 PM

FSX Service Pack 1 is supposed to address performance issues, among other things. I assume it will address multicore performance as well. SP1 will not have any DX10 support, as that will be a separate update later in the year. It was said SP1 will be out "after january", so who knows when we will see it.

Dr.Nick
02-08-07, 12:03 PM

I think it runs a little better. Also in all honesty even though I'm getting lower fps in games they all run a lot smoother. I don't see the constant micro stutters i had in XP at all in Vista. I'll take 60 stutter-free fps over a 130fps stuttering mess any day:)

MaXThReAT
02-08-07, 02:43 PM
I think it runs a little better. Also in all honesty even though I'm getting lower fps in games they all run a lot smoother. I don't see the constant micro stutters i had in XP at all in Vista. I'll take 60 stutter-free fps over a 130fps stuttering mess any day:)

I'm seeing the same. It runs just a bit better in vista for me. no mico stutters and I can actually turn some auto gen stuff up and it's still smooth at like 20-30fps. without auto gen it's very smooth 60fps.
Somehow it found my version installed in XP, uninstalled it and install to vista. So it's either one or the other for me.

Seadogs
02-14-07, 06:00 PM
I'm getting really blurry textures on my 8800GTX. I assumed it was driver related but I do not see anyone else mentioning it. Any thoughts?

sillyeagle
02-14-07, 07:04 PM
I'm getting really blurry textures on my 8800GTX. I assumed it was driver related but I do not see anyone else mentioning it. Any thoughts?

For one thing, the max fps cap in the game determines how much CPU time it gives to preloading textures. If you have it set to the far right it spends all its time running the game, and not as much on preload. If you slide it down and cap it to 20fps or so, it will use the extra CPU cycles to preload textures.

Also open your FSX.cfg file and add the following line at the end of the [MAIN] section:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This line controls how aggressive the sim is in ensuring that scenery loads in quickly.

Also find the line that reads:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

And change it to:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

This will make texture load in while flying go much faster.

Since you have a good vuideo card you can add this to the end of the cfg file, which creates a buffere and can eliminate some of the stutering:

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=5000000

Seadogs
02-18-07, 09:05 PM
For one thing, the max fps cap in the game determines how much CPU time it gives to preloading textures. If you have it set to the far right it spends all its time running the game, and not as much on preload. If you slide it down and cap it to 20fps or so, it will use the extra CPU cycles to preload textures.

Also open your FSX.cfg file and add the following line at the end of the [MAIN] section:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This line controls how aggressive the sim is in ensuring that scenery loads in quickly.

Also find the line that reads:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

And change it to:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

This will make texture load in while flying go much faster.

Since you have a good vuideo card you can add this to the end of the cfg file, which creates a buffere and can eliminate some of the stutering:

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=5000000

Well I gave it a shot, and while I did see a little overall performance improvement(thanks for the tip). The blurry textures persist.

For clarification, it's not that they take a long time to load. They never load.
Everything worked fine in XP which is why I originally thought drivers.

Tym
02-19-07, 12:58 PM

Have you set FSX to use anisotropic filtering in the game's graphics settings menu? I had an issue where the game would override any filtering settings made thorough nHancer.

Rakeesh
02-19-07, 03:13 PM
I got my nearly free copy of FSX but I am still waiting for my nearly free copy of vista ultimate. Intel sure is dragging their feet on that.

Seadogs
02-24-07, 12:41 AM
Well don't I feel stupid,

After wrapping my head around this for a few weeks. I noticed texture resolution was set to "super low". I've combed through the settings over and over again. I don't know if the settings position on the panel just didn't mesh with my thought process or what but, yea that was it.:rolleyes:

Now if Saitek would put out a Vista driver for my X52pro that won't cause me to randomly BSOD I'll be all set. (nana2)