PDA

View Full Version : Crytek: Crysis Will Run on 2-3 y.o. Rigs

shungokusatsu
02-06-07, 02:46 PM
Crytek: Crysis Will Run on 2-3 year old Rigs

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4690&Itemid=2

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli tells Next-Gen that new technology will allow the upcoming Crysis to run on gaming rigs up to three years old; developer also talks about going "Vista-only" and the transition to DX10, Vista and multi-core processors.

He adds that close ties with software and hardware partners have helped Crytek overcome the complicated transition to Vista, DX10 and multi-core processors. Yerli says, "Working with early DX10 hardware was challenging, but our strong connections with Nvidia, Intel and Microsoft have helped a lot. We rarely had crashes, blue screens or rebooting machines."

CaptNKILL
02-06-07, 02:57 PM
Heh, 2-3 years old?

... of course its going to "run" on a 6800 :p

Roadhog
02-06-07, 03:02 PM
it will walk

J-Mag
02-06-07, 03:04 PM
You forgot to include @ 640 x 480 in your thread title ;)

"So not to sacrifice single core performance, [development] needs to be done carefully and [performance] benchmarked often."

Looks like Multicore isn't going to give much of a boost.

jAkUp
02-06-07, 03:15 PM
Of course it will run, but it won't look very good.

|JuiceZ|
02-06-07, 03:56 PM
Crysis will be a "vista only" title? crap I must have missed that news a while back... :mad:

J-Mag
02-06-07, 03:57 PM
Crysis will be a "vista only" title? crap I must have missed that news a while back... :mad:

No you just mis-read the post.

|JuiceZ|
02-06-07, 04:00 PM
No you just mis-read the post.

Well plz learn me then cause I'm at work and can't hit game sites through the proxy.

J-Mag
02-06-07, 04:03 PM
Yerli explains how Frankfurt-based Crytek plans to make the sharp-looking FPS Crysis accessible to a wide audience of PC gamers. "We developed almost all effects to be very scalable for different hardware specs," he says. "Fortunately this is much easier now that we can rely on the existence of hardware shaders. We believe clearly that Crysis will be enjoyed by a large audience that dates back to gamers with two- to three-year-old gaming rigs."

Although Yerli is confident that Crysis will run on older setups, he suggests that if you can only play the game on DX9, try not to view the game running in the superior DX10. "We work hard to give everyone a great experience," he states. "You should not miss anything when [only] playing it on DX9, but if you get a chance to play it on DX10 you might [miss the fidelity when going back to DX9].

He adds that close ties with software and hardware partners have helped Crytek overcome the complicated transition to Vista, DX10 and multi-core processors. Yerli says, "Working with early DX10 hardware was challenging, but our strong connections with Nvidia, Intel and Microsoft have helped a lot. We rarely had crashes, blue screens or rebooting machines."

He elaborates, "For DX10, we had to make bigger changes in our renderer. To utilize multi-core machines we identified good candidates, [such as] particle system and physics, and made them multi-threaded. It's normal development, but bugs are harder to track, performance is less predictable and there is no benefit for single core processors. So not to sacrifice single core performance, [development] needs to be done carefully and [performance] benchmarked often."

Microsoft corporate VP Peter Moore says that the recently released Vista OS will herald a PC gaming "Renaissance." Yerli says that it's "about time" for such a Renaissance, adding that Crytek is poised to support Vista to the fullest.

"Most likely we will upgrade all dev stations to Vista and move to Vista-only titles, but that’s not 100 percent decided yet," he says. As for the Games for Windows marketing initiative, which will see standardized PC game boxes at retail, he has strong hopes for the move, as Crysis will be branded with the GFW mark.

There is no firm release date for Crysis yet, and anticipation is running high. While Yerli thanks fans for the support, he does make one light-hearted plea: "Please dear fans, stop posting threatening messages to us to ship the game, we will do it asap, we promise!"

ta da

Essentially, the devs are going vista only for development. It has nothing to do with what the client will run on.

BioHazZarD
02-06-07, 04:26 PM
Question is who would want to run crysis on a 3 year old machine ? even if you cant afford i doubt the experience is gonna make anything but nice.

einstein_314
02-06-07, 04:32 PM
Hahaha, so it will run on a 2-3 yo rig...but you need Vista....which doesn't run so hot on old machines...well I guess it will run...errr...crawl anyways.

Shaitan
02-06-07, 04:52 PM
Wasn`t there supposed to be released soon, a DX that allows Crysis to be run on XP systems?

J-Mag
02-06-07, 05:10 PM
Wasn`t there supposed to be released soon, a DX that allows Crysis to be run on XP systems?

Uhh yeah, it is called DX9...

For all that can't take time to read the article:
CRYSIS WILL RUN IN XP FINE!

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-06-07, 07:01 PM
ok i was worried for a while there hehehe

so crysis isnīt all that vista exclusive then good.

but Halo 2 will be vista and DX10 only

the again i am awaiting halo3 for the xbox360 :D

Mr_LoL
02-07-07, 03:29 AM
What about those folks on steam with 5200's? I hope they cant run this game at all. You should be flogged in public for attempting to game with that piece of tat.

Mike89
02-18-07, 02:42 PM
I think game makers are going to be taking a big chance making games for Vista/DX10 only, at least for a year. That's going to cut their customer base so much, I don't see how they are going to make any profits on it. Hell, a lot of games can't even make money on XP. They would have to rely on the Xbox360 version to recoup their costs. People aren't exactly coming in droves right now to get Vista.

Crysis seems like they are being smart about this and is not forgetting where the majority of their customer base is. After all, if they can't make a buck along the way, they can't continue the work.

CaptNKILL
02-18-07, 06:06 PM
What about those folks on steam with 5200's? I hope they cant run this game at all. You should be flogged in public for attempting to game with that piece of tat.
I agree 100%. The low end FX cards were absolute trash when released. Their pixel shader support is about the only redeeming feature they had, and despite how crappy the cards were, that helped keep gamers "up to date" on the cheap (ie, rather than using an mx4000 which was tech from 2001)... but their time has passed, and the sooner we can get everyone using 6100-7100 series cards for gaming, the better the games will look.

Redeemed
02-18-07, 06:11 PM
I agree 100%. The low end FX cards were absolute trash when released. Their pixel shader support is about the only redeeming feature they had, and despite how crappy the cards were, that helped keep gamers "up to date" on the cheap (ie, rather than using an mx4000 which was tech from 2001)... but their time has passed, and the sooner we can get everyone using 6100-7100 series cards for gaming, the better the games will look.

QFT. ;)

Madpistol
02-19-07, 02:38 AM

Far Cry runs on my FX Go5200 64mb on my laptop. However, it's dead low settings.

In other words, that card doesn't have a hope in hell of running Crysis.

BTW, my laptop runs CS:Source quite well. However, the settings are medium-low @ 800x600, but it holds @ 60fps on a 16-24 man server, so I'm not complaining. If I really want to game, I go home and get on my Uber rig.

a12ctic
02-19-07, 11:04 AM
I'd be suprized if it ran on my 6600GT. I guess it'd be cool, but I'm not super hyped for this game anyway, I found far cry to be pretty cool, but a little dull. Mabye I'll upgrade for the 8X00/x2X00 series.

walterman
02-19-07, 08:11 PM
Oh, i read it bad, i thought they were talking about 2-3y rigs in the future.

SH0DAN
02-19-07, 09:12 PM
It will run fine and at a good clip for those with slightly older systems,people are scare mongering for nothing... :)

avesta
02-21-07, 01:38 PM
Crytek: Crysis Will Run on 2-3 year old Rigs

Honestly, who cares.
This game is all about the graphics and its immersiveness will be derived from the detailed graphics.

Playing it on a 2-3yo rig is useless.

J-Mag
02-21-07, 02:12 PM
Honestly, who cares.
This game is all about the graphics and its immersiveness will be derived from the detailed graphics.

Playing it on a 2-3yo rig is useless.

Seriously. I remember waiting to play HL2, D3, and a few others until I got a hold of a 6800GT SLI rig back in the day. Your first experience with a game is always the best...