PDA

View Full Version : No Vista 6xxx 7xxx SLI until March!

Pages : [1] 2

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 08:26 AM
OK so firingsquads interview with Nvidia (shown below) shows clearly that they plan on releasing a WHQL driver for Vista for the 8800 range before they even consider SLI for older cards, and that may be around the march release date, which I will assume will mean at least mid march, putting it 5-6 weeks away...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_nvidia_forceware_performance/page2.asp

FiringSquad: When do you expect to have WHQL-certified drivers for the GeForce 8800 cards?

Dwight Diercks: We estimate the WHQL driver for GeForce 8800 will be ready to release by the end of February. We are working very closely with Microsoft to finalize the WHQL certified DirectX 10 driver. Both companies are working together to ensure that the driver is certified and delivered to customers as soon as possible. After this driver, we intend to release a GeForce 7 series SLI driver in the March timeframe.

Does anyone else think this is getting out of hand? I held my tounge with most of the issues, even when we didn't get 7xxx SLI support, now we're told it's going to be a month maybe 2 months away.

The people who have spent the most amount of money on their hardware (the 7xxx SLI users) who make up a large percentage of the total SLI users, are the ones who are going to be waiting the longest.

I was prepared to wait 1-2 weeks past Vistas release to let them get their act together, and keep quiet about it, but this is beyond a joke now.

v8x
02-07-07, 08:39 AM
OK so firingsquads interview with Nvidia (shown below) shows clearly that they plan on releasing a WHQL driver for Vista for the 8800 range before they even consider SLI for older cards, and that may be around the march release date, which I will assume will mean at least mid march, putting it 5-6 weeks away...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_nvidia_forceware_performance/page2.asp

Does anyone else think this is getting out of hand? I held my tounge with most of the issues, even when we didn't get 7xxx SLI support, now we're told it's going to be a month maybe 2 months away.

The people who have spent the most amount of money on their hardware (the 7xxx SLI users) who make up a large percentage of the total SLI users, are the ones who are going to be waiting the longest.

I was prepared to wait 1-2 weeks past Vistas release to let them get their act together, and keep quiet about it, but this is beyond a joke now.
Live with it and use XP. There are no vista only games so having for another month a vista-xp dual boot will not kill you.

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 08:54 AM
I'm considering XP actually, it seems like one massive step backwards to me, and Vista has grown on me over the last 2 months.

Mostly my 7950GX2 performance has been acceptable, my last PC was CPU limited anyhow but now I have my E6600 and lost 50% of my GPU performance it's really turned the tables. Games like FEAR still run well, but SupCom demo last night on a dual monitor setup was painful to play, even in low settings :(

vmsein
02-07-07, 09:15 AM
After reading this article I am disappointed that we have to wait until the end of February for the release of a WHQL certified driver with SLi support for the 8800 series video cards. If I were the owner of a 7XXX or 6XXX series gpu, disappointment would barely describe the feeling I'd have. :headexplode:

fatal1ty
02-07-07, 09:44 AM
Nvidia :nutkick: consumer

DRen72
02-07-07, 09:51 AM
Why not just buy an 8800 card? Looking at your rig spec's, you seem to have the means to do it. An 8800 isn't just a speed increase. You will eventually want a DX10 compatible card anyway. Of course you can hold out for the revision or the Ati variant.

I suppose I could complain that my Scanner does not work under Vista, my keyboard doesn't function properly, and my 8800 card has tons of glitches...all due to drivers. I'm also fairly sure the scanner and keyboard will never get the proper drivers under Vista, so I have to replace them if I want a properly working scanner and keyboard in Vista. Thats the way it goes.

Riptide
02-07-07, 09:53 AM
XP - FTW! :D

Xion X2
02-07-07, 10:38 AM
And why shouldn't the 8-series get SLI support first? After all, it IS a DirectX 10 piece of hardware while the 7/6 series aren't. Those who bought the 8-series cards were planning on Vista being a necessary expansion, for the most part, while most with 7-series cards likely weren't.

Riptide
02-07-07, 11:24 AM
Those who bought the 8-series cards were planning on Vista being a necessary expansion, for the most part, while most with 7-series cards likely weren't.
This seems pretty debatable to me. Honest. Maybe people who still have 6 series cards - that I can buy.

Ancient
02-07-07, 12:11 PM
In the interview he only states that they are striving for WHQL drivers for the 8800 series. He doesn't mention anything about SLI in the WHQL drivers for the 8800. I'm not sure that having SLI capabilities are even part of the WHQL certification process.

NVIDIA may or may not have functioning SLI in the WHQL drivers for the 8800 so people may not want to assume that support will be there, at least based on the FS interview, only to be let down if it's not.

DRen72
02-07-07, 01:01 PM
In the interview he only states that they are striving for WHQL drivers for the 8800 series. He doesn't mention anything about SLI in the WHQL drivers for the 8800. I'm not sure that having SLI capabilities are even part of the WHQL certification process.

NVIDIA may or may not have functioning SLI in the WHQL drivers for the 8800 so people may not want to assume that support will be there, at least based on the FS interview, only to be let down if it's not.

Excellent point

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 01:10 PM
First of all, I don't have the means to upgrade to an 8800, as much as I'd like too I just cannot afford it, the new Motherboard, RAM and E6600 over Christmas wiped me out, even if I sold my 7950GX2 right now I'd still have to spot around 50% of the price of the card which is just too much.

Besides, 2 things are very wrong with this, first of all I shouldn't have to upgrade with hardware thats less than a year old, and 2nd of all Nvidia shouldn't receive anymore money if this is how long they plan on taking to put out drivers.

jcrox
02-07-07, 01:21 PM
We should also try to remember that SLI gamers make up about ...what?.... 3% of Nvidia's sales figures?? Ever look at that Steam survey?? Like 1% of the people actually have SLI....and there's alot people that have taken that survey... So really, I can totally see where their 1st concern would be with their brand new product that they want to sell as much of as possible. Its the only DX10 card available and it needs to work properly in the new OS else, I can imagine there are quite a few people out there that will be waiting until a card that actually supports DX10 actually works....if they have to wait long enough...say until March....some potential 8 series buyers may end up having waited just long enough to try out the R600.

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 01:55 PM
A tiny proportion of people with SLI have 8800 SLI, they would have better spent their time having 7xxx and 6xxx SLI support out before 8800 SLI support. Even the people that do have 8800 support, hardly need the additional power in the first place, some people with older 6xxx systems running SLI need the frame rate boost of both their cards.

Ancient
02-07-07, 02:38 PM
A tiny proportion of people with SLI have 8800 SLI, they would have better spent their time having 7xxx and 6xxx SLI support out before 8800 SLI support. Even the people that do have 8800 support, hardly need the additional power in the first place, some people with older 6xxx systems running SLI need the frame rate boost of both their cards.
As I said previously, there's no indication that this is about 8800 SLI support, only WHQL certification. I don't believe that WHQL is contingent upon having SLI capabilities.

But I agree with your sentiment. The user base of 6 and 7 series SLI users is much larger and should be served first.

Xion X2
02-07-07, 03:34 PM

Why? Again, the pull of Vista has to be stronger among the 8-series crowd than the 7-series crowd because the 8-series crowd actually owns a DIRECT X 10 PART.

I understand you're upset about not having SLI for your GX2, but I just don't see your reasoning behind this. If anything, Vista is more of a necessity for me than it is for you because of Direct X 10. My card(s) support(s) it; yours doesn't. 7-series users, if they need SLI support, should just continue on using XP. After all, they're not buying Vista primarily because it supports DirectX10 like most of us with 8-series cards are.

That's not to say that Vista is only for graphics and nothing else--of course it offers a lot more to the user, but that is what we're talking about here, after all. Graphics support.

Riptide
02-07-07, 04:10 PM
Why? Again, the pull of Vista has to be stronger among the 8-series crowd than the 7-series crowd because the 8-series crowd actually owns a DIRECT X 10 PART.
Stronger, yeah. But it's not that big of an issue. A lot of people here want to play with it because it's a new toy. You don't need a DX10 part to enjoy that aspect of it.

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 04:23 PM
I might agree with that argument if there was some DX10 media out there, currently there isn't even any decent tech demos, games or even benchmarks.

It seems pointless to waste loads of time on something that is currently left unused and even if it wasn't pointless, it would only serve a very tiny fraction of their userbase across a very tiny fraction of applications.

Not everyone upgraded to Vista for DX10, in fact anyone upgrading this early for DX10 is going to be very disapointed with the massive wait for anything substantial, DX10 cards will be much cheaper by the time we actually need them, much the same way as the whole FX series and shader 2.0 debacle.

Greasy
02-07-07, 04:24 PM

I understand you're upset about not having SLI for your GX2, but I just don't see your reasoning behind this. If anything, Vista is more of a necessity for me than it is for you because of Direct X 10. My card(s) support(s) it; yours doesn't. 7-series users, if they need SLI support, should just continue on using XP. After all, they're not buying Vista primarily because it supports DirectX10 like most of us with 8-series cards are.

That's not to say that Vista is only for graphics and nothing else--of course it offers a lot more to the user, but that is what we're talking about here, after all. Graphics support.

BS. If you own a 7950 GX2 you need SLI to work or you're screwed performance wise. Not everyone is upgrading to Vista for DX10, so no matter what point of view you take... Nvidia dropped the ball on this big time.

Why does it matter if you have a DX10 card? How many DX10 games do you own right now?

Princess_Frosty
02-07-07, 04:30 PM
Don't get me wrong here guys, I don't expect perfection first time around, Vista is new, things take time. I'd even be prepared to wait a few weeks for it (which up until today is kind of what I was expecting) but up to 2 months, which could easily slip back, that's just lame.

AdamK47
02-07-07, 05:58 PM
I would be using SLI today if it was as easy to use as when I had Voodoo 2s in SLI. There are far too many problems with the current implementation of SLI.

ragingWS6
02-07-07, 06:15 PM
Yup, the 7800GTXs are for sale. Hmmm...the R600 will be out around March. I wonder what my next move will be...

Spartan 117
02-07-07, 06:25 PM
Id say get a G80 cuz its bound to drop in price as the G8o refresh cards come out :)

and off tpic:

what yr WS6 Trans-AM you have, I have a 1998 :)

ragingWS6
02-07-07, 06:29 PM
and off tpic:

what yr WS6 Trans-AM you have, I have a 1998 :)

Any mods to yours?

Spartan 117
02-07-07, 11:33 PM
yeah, a few bolt ons

SLP lid w/ Balckwing air filter
SLP Longtube Headers
SLP cats and Y pipe
85mm MAF
Sub frame connectors
strut bar
had a set of stikies, but made my stupid S10 rear end squeall (really, why did GM put S10 rear ends on a 300+ hp car??)
3.73 gears
its an A4, but plan to get it stalled

and believe it or not, I still have my factory exhaust with SLp headers, but it should arrive this weak (loudmouth)