PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia screws Dell


TiKiMaN1
02-07-07, 09:45 AM
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=37476

:eek:

What this says to me is that things are seriously broken at Nvidia. If things were as rosy as Nvidia says, and a driver was imminent, surely it would tell its valued partner Dell, right? Dell probably sells more high end gaming boxes than anyone else, period, and Dell is certainly privy to such critical roadmap details.

The lack of Vista here has two possible explanations, neither of which are good. The first is that Dell is out of the loop and gets what Nvida sends them as it happens. There is no roadmap, there is no plan, Dell gets the stuff and puts it in boxes. Anyone with a clue as to how the system builder process works will fall over laughing at this possibility.

The other is more problematic, that Nvidia is flailing around without a clue or an ETA, and any such dates are a way away. The reason this is the case is that if there was a driver coming, Dell would know at least a week or two in advance, and probably have a beta or two in house to test.

Are the Vista Drivers really that crappy?

loafer87gt
02-07-07, 10:09 AM
Look at it this way. Dell is trying to sell highend Vista / SLI systems, and as of now, there are no official Vista drivers let alone ones with proper SLI support. I would be very frustrated if I were in their position. Unfortunately, it seems that there are a lot of apologists for Nvidia saying that it is a new OS and it is going to take a while to get the drivers worked out. Newflash! Vista has been around in beta form for over a year! Why wasn't Nvidia focussing on using this time to get some of these bugs and glitches worked out so that they would have been ready and not severely inconvenienced both PC builders and consumers?

Dell is not the only one getting the shaft from Nvidia. The school district my brother works for just had to cancel all their Acer laptops as they have also been severely delayed as their are no Vista Quadro drivers.

Nvidia is making a lot of friends as of late, both in the consumer and manufacturer camps alike. I'm sure that 99% of their engineers are madly fevering away on the G80's replacement, however, while the other 1% of their driver staff appears to be either on holidays.

As you can tell, I'm pissed.

TiKiMaN1
02-07-07, 10:18 AM
Who here even has Vista with SLI? Well there are certainly are more than a few members on these forums getting the new beta SLI drivers to work.

MindBlank
02-07-07, 10:47 AM
nV Vista drivers really are crap... I can't play anything right, and get BSODs for no apparent reason... Desktop color settings revert at every boot up and the drivers just have minimal functionality built into them. I can't even save a profile FFS cause immediately after it's saved, the "browse" window doesn't find it.

They really need to get their s**t together...

Yaboze
02-07-07, 12:11 PM
Not only that, the XPS laptop line is screwed as well. The flagship laptop has a 7950 mobile in it. Not good.

Hapatingjaky
02-07-07, 02:47 PM
The worst part is the systems sold with a 7950 and a Vista will only work with one core. I recently setup a Voodoo notebook this weekend for a client the Mobility driver that it came with was 96.45 I think. Forcing the 100.59 gets me nowhere, still only works with 1 core.

TiKiMaN1
02-07-07, 03:07 PM
The worst part is the systems sold with a 7950 and a Vista will only work with one core. I recently setup a Voodoo notebook this weekend for a client the Mobility driver that it came with was 96.45 I think. Forcing the 100.59 gets me nowhere, still only works with 1 core.

Do you work for Voodoo?:D

Hapatingjaky
02-07-07, 03:22 PM
Do you work for Voodoo?:D

No, its a client of mine that purchased the notebook for gaming. They just bring it to me, I wipe it out, re-install vista, newest drivers and their own personal software. Basically what Best Buy does but I do not charge $300+.