PDA

View Full Version : F' it. I give up on the 8800. What is a good replacement card?

Pages : [1] 2

loafer87gt
02-08-07, 03:06 PM
I've had it with the poor drivers and random BSOD when working with OpenGL applications. Being as there is no way to contact Nvidia to make a bug report, and being as Nvidia doesn't seem too concerned about their XP drivers any more, I'm ripping this overpriced, overheating, piece of overhyped crap out of my machine and putting it up for sale.

My question is, is it worth going for another Nvidia card such as the 7900GT, or are the drivers for these cards just as shakey as for the 8800 series? I do have a 6800GT which works flawlessly, but is just simply too slow for what I want to be using the machine for.

Any suggestions on a replacement card, or should I just try and tough it out with my 6800GT until the R600 comes out and hope that ATI has got their crap together with the card? What a friggin waste of money. :( I have never had so many problems with a piece of hardware as I have with this cursed card and its drivers.

DiscipleDOC
02-08-07, 03:33 PM
My 6800GT used to BSOD too. You're just going to have to wait until the drivers are mature enough.

What'cha gonna do?, Go ATI? :rofl

ninelven
02-08-07, 03:37 PM
This is good option if you want to try AMD/ATI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102067

No idea on the how the driver situation w/ R600 will turn out.

|MaguS|
02-08-07, 03:41 PM
There is no other choice for top of the line cards... the 8800 cards are in a league of their own. If your getting BSOD in OpenGL and not using Vista then its your PC, not the card or drivers... I have yet to have a BSOD due to my cards.

PSYCHODAD
02-08-07, 03:44 PM
There is no other choice for top of the line cards... the 8800 cards are in a league of their own. If your getting BSOD in OpenGL and not using Vista then its your PC, not the card or drivers... I have yet to have a BSOD due to my cards.
X2

Toss3
02-08-07, 04:00 PM
What kind of problems are you having other than BSODs? Checked your other posts and you seem to have run into a lot of problems with your card so selling it might be one choice, but remember that it takes some sacrifice to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. :)

Xion X2
02-08-07, 04:04 PM
No BSOD's in any games here, either. My 8800's work perfect.

And I've just been playing a 4-year old game on them.. Beyond Good & Evil. Ran flawlessly. And Prey (OpenGL) runs great.

loafer87gt
02-08-07, 04:36 PM
What kind of problems are you having other than BSODs? Checked your other posts and you seem to have run into a lot of problems with your card so selling it might be one choice, but remember that it takes some sacrifice to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. :)

I haven't had any crashes or artifacting in games since I installed the Thermaltake PCI-Exhaust cooler underneath my GTX and upped the fan speed to 90%, but I am still getting nv4disp.dll BSOD when switching between AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max. When it tries to switch between the programs, half of my data from AutoCAD is incorrectly displayed in my 3DSMax viewports, and then my mouse cursor freezes for a second, the wait icon comes on, and about fifteen seconds later I get an NV4displ.dll error. I just can't figure out why this card is giving me so much grief when everything worked without a hitch on my old 6800GT.

Here are my system specs:
Intel Bad Axe 2 motherboard with 2507 BIOS
Intel QX6700 @ stock (was at 3.2 before but lowered back to stock while troubleshooting)
4GB Corsair Dominator 8500D
Silverstone Zeus 750 Watt PSU
WD Raptor 150GB Sys drive
Seagate 320GB Data drive
Creative X-FI
Thermaltake Armor Case (3 x 120MM Thunderblade fans)
Pioneer DVD-R drive

In the meantime, I'll throw my old GT back in and throw my GTX back in its box and try it again whenever Nvidia gets around to doing up some more recent drivers.

Toss3
02-08-07, 04:46 PM
Well at least you don't need the performance of the 8800gtx in auto cad and 3dsmax, but as these cards aren't exactly targeted for that market my guess is that nvidia just prioritized gaming before 3d applications. :) And with vista thrown in the process I guess it's going to take some time to fix everything.

Sorry for switching subjects here but what exactly do you do in auto cad and 3d smax? :) I've just started doing some stuff in 3dsmax but now my computer is dead so I've spent my time reading tutorials and stuff like that. So if you have any tips and tricks that could help me get started, don't hesitate to tell me! :)

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-08-07, 04:46 PM
i have aquestion as well

is it worth to go from a 7900GTX to 8800GTS since 8800 still have alot of problems with drivers and stuff.

or shall i wait and get me a 8800/R600 when drivers start work properly?

Toss3
02-08-07, 04:48 PM
i have aquestion as well

is it worth to go from a 7900GTX to 8800GTS since 8800 still have alot of problems with drivers and stuff.

I'm pretty sure they work for most games in XP, so if you're gonna use it for gaming then sure why not it's a nice upgrade! :)

loafer87gt
02-08-07, 05:15 PM
Well, I did some more digging around and searching through the Nvidia forums and the Autodesk forums it sounds like there are a number of other users experiencing the same nv4displ.dll BSOD as I am having. One developer over at the NV forums tried two different 8800GTX and had the same random nv4disp.dll errors with both cards. The crazy thing is on both forums, people are able to run the GTS cards without a hitch, but are running into lockups with the GTX cards. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up another vid card as the chances of Nvidia picking up on this bug, let alone making it a priority, are slim to none. Who knows, this "bug" when working with pro apps could even be an intentional glitch they threw in as a way to force people to upgrade to their more expensive Quadro series of cards. The only sure thing is that there is no way to ever find out if NV is aware of the problem, or any way to submit the bug report for them to look over.

SlieTheSecond
02-08-07, 06:49 PM
i have aquestion as well

I have yet to run into one single problem with my 8800 GTS.

The only crash I ever encountered was from overclocking too far.

Now if you will see an increase in performance with that cpu. Ya a little.

Should be able to pump more AA through your games.

Going from an x1900GT I saw a nice jump in performance on my amd 3700.
Then going C2D I saw another nice jump in performance.

loafer87gt
02-08-07, 06:52 PM
Well I just tried one other things this afternoon and haven't had a crash since doing it. I turned off the animated minimize / maximize window effect as 9 out 10 times my machine crashed is when maximing one of my OpenGL apps, which seems to cause the viewport corruption and eventual BSOD. Will post back tommorow if this seems to have helped.

Redeemed
02-08-07, 07:05 PM
Are you using Vista by any chance? Or is this just XP Pro?

rhink
02-08-07, 07:29 PM
Any suggestions on a replacement card, or should I just try and tough it out with my 6800GT until the R600 comes out and hope that ATI has got their crap together with the card? What a friggin waste of money. :( I have never had so many problems with a piece of hardware as I have with this cursed card and its drivers.

Wait for the R600. If ATI has their drivers in order when it comes out, get one. If NVIDIA's 8800 drivers are in order by then, you can save yourself some money.

nrdstrm
02-08-07, 08:09 PM
The only problems I've had with mine are CTD's (not too often) in Vanguard, but that is a problem with the game, not the hardware, as it is affecting other NV and ATI cards as well..

SLippe
02-08-07, 08:19 PM
No problems with my 8800GTS.

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-08-07, 08:27 PM
well teh thing is i can get a 8800GTS really cheap but is it worth it

will oblivion performance increase FEAR QUAKE 4 FAr CRY

you know and what XP drivers are the best fro 8800GTS/GTX?

Q
02-08-07, 09:08 PM
I've had tons of problems under XP and Vista, but I'm a media center user who plays a large variety of games. I've had several BSODs under both OS's, and I keep my card idling at 53C on air so I doubt its a heating issue. (And I have the correct resistor, as well).

I definitely feel you pain. IF you hang in there until the ATI solution comes out, you might find that most of your issues will be resolved. Nvidia has been known for miracles in the past. That's what I'm hoping, anyways!

Right now you might be able to pick up a used x1900xt for $185 or so. Its a very solid card and could tide you over with better drivers until the refreshes/releases.

loafer87gt
02-08-07, 10:12 PM
I talked to my bro and we are going to switch cards, with me taking his 7900GT for a couple of weeks, and him taking my 8800 to see if it is a card related issue. It's just so frustrating trying to troubleshoot issues like this.

Tho Jo Smale
02-08-07, 11:25 PM

Same here...never had a BSOD from the 8800 in winXP

JC

LORD-eX-Bu
02-08-07, 11:30 PM
send me the 8800 I will test it for you:D

Rakeesh
02-08-07, 11:58 PM
What'cha gonna do?, Go ATI? :rofl

Well, I heard the radeon X2900 XXX will have extra silicone dedicated to rendering better boob physics.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 12:07 AM
does that mean that DOA beach volleyball is coming to PC? :D