PDA

View Full Version : Company of heroes causes reboot

Xen
02-08-07, 06:03 PM
Hi there,

First of all I want to stress that CoH is the ONLY game the following happens. All source engine games, and WoW run fine.

--

I have a problem with CoH - latest patch installed. When I start the second mission (carentan) it will suddenly lock-up, give me a strange purple color/blocks on the entire screen, and then my pc reboots. Sometimes I have to shut it down instead of reset to make the weird colors go away. This lock-up happens mostly in the intro movie of the mission, and sometimes shortly after that.
It however ONLY happens in this mission. I can play the first mission and skirmish maps just fine.

I would say this is a CoH issue/driver issue and not my 8800GTX since it ONLY happens on that single map in that single game. Or not?

System all @ stock:

Asus P5b vanilla with newest bios.
E6600
BFG 8800GTX with latest nvidia drivers.
2GB pc-5300 value-select corsair dual channel.
Creative Audigy 2 ZS.
Coolermaster Igreen 500W PSU.

sammy sung
02-08-07, 06:10 PM
Hi there,

First of all I want to stress that CoH is the ONLY game the following happens. All source engine games, and WoW run fine.

--

I have a problem with CoH - latest patch installed. When I start the second mission (carentan) it will suddenly lock-up, give me a strange purple color/blocks on the entire screen, and then my pc reboots. Sometimes I have to shut it down instead of reset to make the weird colors go away. This lock-up happens mostly in the intro movie of the mission, and sometimes shortly after that.
It however ONLY happens in this mission. I can play the first mission and skirmish maps just fine.

I would say this is a CoH issue and not my 8800GTX since it ONLY happens on that single map in that single game. Or not?

System all @ stock:

Asus P5b vanilla with newest bios.
E6600
BFG 8800GTX with latest nvidia drivers.
2x512 pc-5300 value-select corsair dual channel.
Coolermaster Igreen 500W PSU.

Same thing exactly happens to me but with Rainbow 6 vegas,no clue why tbh:(

Thudo
02-09-07, 11:37 AM
Can you play a CoH Skirmish AI game with a very large map with 8players and have it NOT reboot after 5-10mins? Thats key. Make sure all gfx details are maxed out.

I find that if I'm running, say, MSN v8 Live and some services running that my system will BSOD after 5mins when running the new Supreme Commander Demo. But after rebooting I don't run anything like MSN and disable some unneeded hidden XP services, then I can play as many Supreme Commander games as I want and never have it crash.

I would seriously try and not run any major apps during your CoH and consider stopping the following services:

Computer Browser
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting Service
Help and Support
Messenger
QoS RSVP
RemoteRegistry
SSDP Discovery Service
Secondary Logon
Security Center
Server
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Webclient
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration

Keep a record of the services above you disable incase you need em. I don't and disabling made a massive difference. It really depends what you need running or not as there are OTHER services I disabled (ie. PrintSpooler as I don't have a hooked up printer). Also check the stuff you have running on Startup .. use MSCONFIG for this.

There are alot of great tweaks you can use to make your XP 5-10x more efficient.

Xen
02-09-07, 02:57 PM
I did the selected startup trick found on the CoH forum and it didn't make any difference. (disabled almost all services)
Thanks for your reply btw.

Thudo
02-09-07, 03:06 PM
Does the same thing occur when you have an intensive Skrimish game with alot of AI players running around? It should. Also.. yer not running stuff like MSN or any browsers, right? WinXP, like Vista (probably) should be running cleanly without alot of extra crap running in the background. Also, if you install ANY APP ever, check MSCONFIG to ensure no BS stuff is running because of it (ie. installing any Adobe products puts launchers and updaters in startup services.. this is utter crap x 50 and should be removed).

Muppet
02-09-07, 04:06 PM
I used to have the same problems running any of the maps in skirmish mode. There is a memory issue with this game. Is you Ram overclocked?

Thudo
02-09-07, 04:10 PM
My system is majorly OC'ed but the ram is reported @ PC-7100 speeds for a reason. Anything faster and it won't post. Thats ok - in SiSandra I get scores of 7500 in the mem tests. To compare.. OCZ's newest state of the art PC-9200 ram tests get those speeds at default. Yes you have to watch Overclocking as it can cause CTDs or even system reboots.

ynnek
02-09-07, 06:52 PM
as the disclaimer goes, all bets are off when your are overclocked.

Xen
02-10-07, 07:26 AM
Nothing is overclocked, but I run my ram at 4-4-4-12. (should be able to run like that).

I'll try 5-5-5-15 to see if that works.

Leka
02-10-07, 12:59 PM
I have everythin max in my gtx and it runs just fine, hope you get problem solved.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2134732&page=1#Post2134732

Muppet
02-10-07, 04:18 PM
Nothing is overclocked, but I run my ram at 4-4-4-12. (should be able to run like that).

I'll try 5-5-5-15 to see if that works.
If you check out there forums, alot of people have had Memory problems, i had to underclock my Ram just to get it stable.

Xen
02-12-07, 09:04 AM
Putting the timings at 5-5-5-15 didn't solve the problem.
I had this kind of crash two days ago in WoW:TBC as well.. :(
Didn't have it in WoW since tough..

Surprisingly, I found someone on a forum with the same system sort of, and the exact same problem:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=135800&page=2&pp=15

I have pm'd the guy, but haven't got a response yet.

ynnek
02-12-07, 12:48 PM
that guy acrobat sounds like he has more serious problems, if he can't even reboot his computer.

honestly, I would think for your case, its not a memory case, because memory problems will _usually_ result in a straight blue screen or "unexpected error dialog" instead of jumbled colors..

Jumbled colors usually mean the graphics card is messed.

However, its odd that it only happens so specifically to only one game and one level?

So I dunno.

Did you try looking through event log around the time when your computer reboots? Windows sometimes is set to reboot automatically when it hits a bluescreen, so fast you might not see it. If this happens, you should see an error in the event logs.