PDA

View Full Version : EVGA's 680 worth it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jcniest5
02-09-07, 01:39 AM
Well, is it? Or is it better to go with Intel's chipset base mobo instead?

Muppet
02-09-07, 01:47 AM
Well i'd say E6600@ 3.96 Benchmark stable tells me it pretty damn good.

RussianHAXOR
02-09-07, 01:47 AM
Its an overclocking champ.

Lazaredz
02-09-07, 07:27 AM
"Worth it" is a relative term.

If you are willing to put up with the 680i's little problems right now (ex: issues with running high end memory above 800Mhz) in order to gain some large overclocks AND the ability to use SLI+, then you might consider the board "worth it".

If you'd rather use a mature chipset with less problems, but probably get lower overclocks and no official SLI support, then you might be better off with the 975.

All in all though, I'm pretty happy.

Amuro
02-09-07, 10:06 AM
Actually, Intel chipsets based boards overclock better, the Asus P5B Delux for example. If you're not going for SLI setup, get an Intel board.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 04:28 PM
well, tried to OC today and can't get the thing to go past 1200 Mhz FSB, beyond that it resets my settings automatically because the mobo goes into safe mode during boot. I would say stay away from this board, as far as you possibly can get:lol:

Burner_Tbird2
02-09-07, 04:37 PM
From everything I've seen on this board as well as my own experience with it you're looking at a crap shoot as far as quality is concerned. Everywhere I look I see about the same ratio of good and bad posts as we see in this thread. Most are not having issues and one or two are absolutely pulling their hair out. I'm not having any problems with this board, but if I were building a non-SLi system all over again I'd go with the 975x chipset and order with peace of mind.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 04:40 PM
not only peace of mind but better RAID performance:rofl

Muppet
02-09-07, 04:49 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']well, tried to OC today and can't get the thing to go past 1200 Mhz FSB, beyond that it resets my settings automatically because the mobo goes into safe mode during boot. I would say stay away from this board, as far as you possibly can get:lol:
That's very strange. Mine is happily running at 1760

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 04:52 PM
I am pretty surprised as well. Gonna go back to P23 bios and see if that will let me OC finally. If not, then its off to P21 and if that doesn't work its off to Intel 975.

Muppet
02-09-07, 05:00 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']I am pretty surprised as well. Gonna go back to P23 bios and see if that will let me OC finally. If not, then its off to P21 and if that doesn't work its off to Intel 975.
I'm using the P24 bios and it overclocks fine. The biggest thing i found is to disable everything in the bios settings not used. I got the biggest overclocks from inside the advanced chipset settings. I think it's the third tab down, disable everything except the second Core.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 05:12 PM
yes I did all of that. This is getting me really upset, $250 and can't even go beyond 1200 Mhz FSB.

Tried linked fsb clock mode, sync'ed memory ratio, 1200 mhz will boot, anything beyond will not. Thats running my memory at like 600 Mhz.

Even unlinked it will not go beyond 1200 mhz.

Less than 350 Mhz OC with water cooling:rofl

wtf is going on.

Tym
02-09-07, 05:24 PM
Well, is it? Or is it better to go with Intel's chipset base mobo instead?

It depends on whether you want to take a gamble and/or have the time to troubleshoot. If you're lucky, you may get a perfectly stable board, but chances are you will have a lot of issues. I've had to RMA two of these, and believe me, I don't want a third one (trying to get a refund)... With the first board, it gradually deteriorated from stable to unstable (meaning that this cannot be a BIOS issue), an in the end, even underclocking the memory was not enough to keep it stable.

Go to the mobo section on EVGA's forum and see for yourself. Unless you are in a hurry, I'd say wait and see if the issues can be ironed out in the next revision of the board. And if you don't plan on going SLI, don't bother waiting and get an Intel 965P-based board instead.

jcniest5
02-09-07, 06:10 PM
I want SLI, but I am too broke right now to buy the second card, so I guess I will wait for SLI forever.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 06:12 PM
do yourself a favor and go with an intel based chipset. 680i, at least from EVGA blows so far:thumbdwn:

jcniest5
02-09-07, 06:19 PM
Can someone tell me why is it so much going from the Pentium 4 D Dual Core to a Duo Core 2? Aren't they just the same? I'm confused...

Muppet
02-09-07, 06:23 PM
Is there any chance you could post some pics of your bios settings so we can take a look

jAkUp
02-09-07, 06:39 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']yes I did all of that. This is getting me really upset, $250 and can't even go beyond 1200 Mhz FSB.

Tried linked fsb clock mode, sync'ed memory ratio, 1200 mhz will boot, anything beyond will not. Thats running my memory at like 600 Mhz.

Even unlinked it will not go beyond 1200 mhz.

Less than 350 Mhz OC with water cooling:rofl

wtf is going on.

Try increasing your FSB voltage, see if that makes any difference.

TiKiMaN1
02-09-07, 06:43 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']do yourself a favor and go with an intel based chipset. 680i, at least from EVGA blows so far:thumbdwn:

How high have you been able to push the CPU? When I had it I was able to make the E6700 stable around the clock at 3.5GHz.:D

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 07:05 PM
max I've been able to push the cpu is 3 Ghz. That would be at 1200 Mhz fsb. Kinda weak if you ask me:lol:

I upped the fsb voltage to 1.3v, then 1.4v, then 1.5v and no difference whatsoever...

MCP is around 50*C... seems fine..

really don't want to go tearing my rig apart to remove the nb/sb heatsink thing to clean all the puddy under there... doubt that would help at all.

Been battling with it the whole day... looks like I have another RMA in the very near future. Shoulda purchased the EAR when I had the chance:udawg:

I'm pretty sure that the board could OC very well.. don't know whats up with mines... anything above 1200 Mhz FSB and the board will boot in its safe mode and reset my settings.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, is there some special setting I have to enable/disable in order for the mobo to allow me to OC?:lol:

Lazaredz
02-09-07, 07:32 PM
Maybe its your chip??? Not all CPUs are created equal you know. Have you tested this on another board?

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 07:35 PM
yes Tiki tested it for me at 3.5Ghz on an Asus Striker Extreme:D

Amuro
02-09-07, 08:24 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']well, tried to OC today and can't get the thing to go past 1200 Mhz FSB, beyond that it resets my settings automatically because the mobo goes into safe mode during boot. I would say stay away from this board, as far as you possibly can get:lol:
Yeah, a intel board can easily hit 500+ FSB, even 550+ is not hard.

TiKiMaN1
02-09-07, 08:35 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']yes Tiki tested it for me at 3.5Ghz on an Asus Striker Extreme:D

All I know is that I was running 350 FSB x10. When I get my rig all setup I will let you know my settings. Something is not right if you are only hitting 3GHz. I could do near 3.2Ghz on my P5N32-SLI SE and that was a crap board.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-09-07, 08:41 PM
Crap man, I was going to purchase a new Silverstone TJ09 this week but I don't know if I want to use that money for a different mobo now..