PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia to switch to Monthly Driver Update Schedule

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
02-09-07, 01:38 AM
Nvidia’s first release Vista drivers were simply incomparable to the performance of drivers for Windows XP. PC Perspective interviewed Nvidia's Software Engineering VP Dwight Diercks and finally asked what was on every Nvidia user’s mind.

Diercks explained that with Windows XP, NVIDIA simply needed to create two separate drivers: one for DirectX rendering and one for OpenGL rendering, while for Vista, NVIDIA has to develop six separate drivers: SLI and non-SLI versions for DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL. In Vista, Microsoft moved the driver stack into the user space in the operating system, effectively making the kernel much more stable, but adding another layer of abstraction for NVIDIA’s software to get through before directly accessing the hardware. Each Vista driver supposedly contains 20 million lines of code (roughly the same number of lines as Windows NT 4.0).

Diercks has said that the new ForceWare drivers will be release on a monthly schedule, much like AMD's Catalyst drivers, unless of course there are major bugs found between releases. A WHQL-certified ForceWare release for Windows Vista is expected before the end of February. Nvidia also plans to release another update in March with GeForce 7 SLI capabilities and better TV output support. April is the month where support for DirectX 10 SLI and H.264 video acceleration is planned to be addressed.

johnkeel105
02-09-07, 07:40 AM
Monthly updates could help standardize things a bit. Interesting...

nekrosoft13
02-09-07, 07:48 AM
but adding another layer of abstraction for NVIDIA’s software to get through before directly accessing the hardware.

that doesn't sound good, this could potentially make things slower

skoprowski
02-09-07, 09:17 AM
Monthly Vista drivers? or both XP and Vista drivers? They don't seem to clarify that.

Princess_Frosty
02-09-07, 09:54 AM
So if the end of Feb is the first set then the 2nd set is to be at the end of March.

Just As I suspected, so about 50 days to go for 7xxx SLI support.

Gay

agentkay
02-09-07, 11:27 AM
that doesn't sound good, this could potentially make things slower

I think this relates to the whole deal about Vista drivers not being located at RING0 anymore.

My order for Vista was cancelled last week but honestly I don´t mind as I won´t purchase Vista before the first DX10 game or DX10 game patch.

SH0DAN
02-09-07, 06:50 PM
Thank the OS gods for dual boot :)

Eliminator
02-09-07, 11:44 PM
Monthly Vista drivers? or both XP and Vista drivers? They don't seem to clarify that.
obviously vista... they won't care about xp anymore... just look at nforce drivers for ex... once nforce 4 came out how many drivers came out for nforce3?... only 1 i think and it fixed some ethernet bug which nobody had.... same stuff when nforce 5xx came out... it's nvidia's way of things... i call it (bs2)

stevemedes
02-09-07, 11:46 PM
Link?

SLippe
02-10-07, 12:13 AM
This was posted on the front page of NVNews by MikeC the other day.

Link?
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=357

jAkUp
02-10-07, 12:21 AM
obviously vista... they won't care about xp anymore... just look at nforce drivers for ex... once nforce 4 came out how many drivers came out for nforce3?... only 1 i think and it fixed some ethernet bug which nobody had.... same stuff when nforce 5xx came out... it's nvidia's way of things... i call it (bs2)

Why should they release a driver when they don't need to? NForce 3 was likely as good as it was going to get from a driver standpoint.

Bman212121
02-10-07, 12:50 AM
Why should they release a driver when they don't need to? NForce 3 was likely as good as it was going to get from a driver standpoint.

QFT.

Eliminator
02-10-07, 09:09 AM
then youve never had the nforce3/6800 stuttering bug?

jAkUp
02-10-07, 12:59 PM
then youve never had the nforce3/6800 stuttering bug?

How do you know that was related to software? Some things just are not correctable via software.

nekrosoft13
02-10-07, 01:04 PM
ok, monthly updates are fine, but better still be getting leaked drivers in between

CaptNKILL
02-10-07, 01:57 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I had an nforce 3 ultra and a 6800GT and it ran like a champ till I upgraded to an nforce 4. The nforce 3 system is still running (not with the 6800) perfectly fine with the latest nvidia drivers.

Chipset driver updates are good but unless people are having problems, theres no sense in nvidia wasting man power and time just to say they updated X driver within the last 6 months.

Chipset drivers and video card drivers are very very different. Games have very little to do with most of what your chipset drivers control, where as video card drivers are pretty much the one thing that will determine how well your games will work.

Yessy2952
02-10-07, 02:18 PM
Well I guess this is good news..... meh..

Wolfhound
02-11-07, 04:43 AM
Interesting, lets see if this addresses the issues with Vista and some games in XP. Monthly releases will be good I think if it is paired with direct feedback from gamers

F_L_C
02-11-07, 04:57 AM
I recall that nv has criticized the competition's monthly scheme before. Why are they now alledgedly adopting it? They must be feelin some kinda heat from somewheres. My bet that it would be from the competition. But about the monthly updates from nv, I'll believe it when I see it.

sammy sung
02-11-07, 06:12 AM
I wouldnt mind a new 680i chipset driver,with better funcionality for the network manager with its teaming,first packet and tcp/ip optimizations.Would be nice to be able to have it installed AND use bittorrents,dunno about you guys but every torrent app freezes with 100% cpu usage as it is.Maybe its nvidias blow against software piracy,who knows ? :)

larkin
02-12-07, 04:10 AM
so when are they switching to this schedule... when is the new batch of 8800 drivers comming out for XP?

NV_ANDY
02-12-07, 08:39 AM
so when are they switching to this schedule... when is the new batch of 8800 drivers comming out for XP?

They are on it. We are going to get another set at the end of Feb...

Rakeesh
02-12-07, 08:54 AM

Sheesh...what is up with so many people out there whining about nvidia possibly stepping away from XP?

rewt
02-12-07, 09:31 AM
Yeah. I'm not so sure they could shut out XP totally. There are still many people who are not going to move to Vista right away. If nvidia's products from now on only supported Windows Vista then that would cut out a lot of the existing market.

Vasot02
02-13-07, 05:17 AM
I hope we start seeing some new Nvidia Drivers for XP at last
or else i am moving to ATI