PDA

View Full Version : Serious issue here with 8800gts and 100.54/100.59 drivers.

Pages : [1] 2

vas
02-09-07, 08:52 AM
Running Vista x64 version. Completely at random, my computer would fail to boot past the boot screen (the progress bar). It would just freeze and give me nothing but a black screen with no hard disk activity.

This did NOT and does NOT happen on my 7600gs with the whql 97.46 drivers or the built in drivers for that matter, nor does it appear to happen on my 8800gts using standard vga drivers (though i am still testing).

Anyone with the same problem?

seppuka
02-09-07, 01:51 PM
Yeah, something similar has happened to me, i'm running a 7950GX2 with x86 vista and 100.54. The computer would reboot at random, then just hang at a moving / scrolling progress (colored) bar till I hit reset and it'd then boot fine.

Still does it daily, not quite sure why or how but it does get rather annoying.
It's been happening about once a day, (not today yet though knock on wood)

Probably just some driver issue. But hey, vista is nice and I'm not one to complain. Save your work frequently is all I can say till they come out with some dif drivers.

PSYCHODAD
02-09-07, 02:55 PM
Running Vista x64 version. Completely at random, my computer would fail to boot past the boot screen (the progress bar). It would just freeze and give me nothing but a black screen with no hard disk activity.

This did NOT and does NOT happen on my 7600gs with the whql 97.46 drivers or the built in drivers for that matter, nor does it appear to happen on my 8800gts using standard vga drivers (though i am still testing).

Anyone with the same problem?
I had a similar problem after installing x64 Vista. Resetting bios to default options and rebooting fixed mine. I was able to set up bios to my likeing after setting default.

Don't know if that'll help but good luck.

Stanley Pain
02-10-07, 07:20 AM
Had the same issue here. Vista x64 worked for a week or two, and then would freeze just after the progress bar on reboot. Re-installing did help.

Switched to Vista x86 and no problems at all now. Go figure.

doom_st
02-10-07, 07:27 AM
no it happens to x86 too, very rare indeed.

vas
02-10-07, 07:28 AM
I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem as I was wondering if it could be hardware related. Trying the leaked 100.30 drivers now, after initial testing the problem does not appear on those. Might have to switch to vista x86 if the next release od drivers does not solve this.

submitted this bug to nvidia through the new automated process

vas
02-10-07, 07:29 AM
no it happens to x86 too very rare indeed.
Didn't see your post before I posted mine. Oh well, I guess the only solution is to keep people aware of this bug and have nvidia take note of this and fix it asap.

vas
02-10-07, 07:37 PM
Update:

Reformatted and installed vista x86 this time, tried the 100.59 drivers, same problem. Happens randomly. This is really pissing me off now. How this major bug, which has something to do with driver initialisation at boot up, could slip past their QA is beyond me.

Off to try 100.51.....

Buckeye
02-10-07, 08:33 PM
Just a thought, not sure if you have tried this yet.

Have you updated your BIOS ?

nTune would not work with mine until I updated the BIOS.

vas
02-10-07, 08:42 PM
Just a thought, not sure if you have tried this yet.

Have you updated your BIOS ?

nTune would not work with mine until I updated the BIOS.
Yes, I am on the latest bios for my motherboard.

Update on 100.51. On the 6th attempt to restart my pc it got no further than the progress bar.

On to my last set of drivers to test, the 100.30...

jcrox
02-10-07, 09:17 PM
Strange, my 8800 GTS has no problems what so ever with Vista and a friend has 2 of them in a 680i mobo with Ultimate x64 and he has zero problems.

And I think the BIO's update that was mentioned was referring to your video card bio's not mobo maybe?

jcrox
02-11-07, 12:50 PM
What do you have for a power supply by the way??

vas
02-11-07, 02:07 PM
Update on the 100.30. they appear to not have this problem. Have restarted my computer about 20 times throughout the day and it has not frozen after the progress bar (yet).

My power supply is a Hiper 580 watt. Im pretty sure my psu is not the problem as I have never experienced instability/crashes while playing hours of oblivion/coh/rainbow six vegas.

It is clearly something to do with driver initialization at boot up.

vas
02-12-07, 07:19 AM
Well, the 100.30 do appear to suffer from this also, tho it took a lot longer to set it off.

Will be using my computer with just the standard vga drivers for now and if the problem still occurs i will have to assume that it is a hardware problem and RMA is in order.

vas
02-13-07, 10:38 AM
UPDATE:

Have been busy testing the standard vga drivers, rstarting constantly like a madman, not once did i get a failed boot.

Therefore I can only assume it is the drivers fault and not a hardware/configuration issue.

lumpyhed
02-13-07, 12:32 PM
Which BIOS version are you using? The current stable or the beta?

vas
02-13-07, 01:40 PM
Which BIOS version are you using? The current stable or the beta?
If u mean my motherboard, then using the last stable 1009 bios. The thing is, this motherboard housed an x1800xt then an x1900xt then a 7600gs and none of them gave me this problem. Furthermore, I was running vista as well starting with a few builds just before beta 1 up until RTM. So all these cards had tasted vista, none gave me this problem.

lumpyhed
02-13-07, 02:18 PM
There is a 1302 Bios availible if you want to give that a try
I have the Deluxe rather than the Premium model, but the 1805 beta for my mobo has been running on here for the past few weeks with zero issues. I dont know how much the two boards vary but its always worth a try. I was gonna order a GTS today, but after reading your experiences i'm suddenly not so sure. ;)

vas
02-13-07, 03:10 PM
There is a 1302 Bios availible if you want to give that a try
I have the Deluxe rather than the Premium model, but the 1805 beta for my mobo has been running on here for the past few weeks with zero issues. I dont know how much the two boards vary but its always worth a try. I was gonna order a GTS today, but after reading your experiences i'm suddenly not so sure. ;)
No, i don't really wanna risk it with the beta bios, ive read about ppl having more problems than benefits. Plus as I was saying before this motherboard was used with all the previously mentioned video cards and not a problem. I am fairly certain that this particular problem lies in the drivers for the 8800 series as the vga standard drivers do not produce this bug.

Furthermore I am pretty sure that drivers get loaded right after the progress bar as that is when u get the High/true colour orb animation whereas the progress bar is rendered with 256 colours or less.

monkeydust
02-13-07, 07:27 PM
I have issues that if I have my HDTV plugged into my second DVI port when I boot up, my LCD goes dead after the progress bar screen.

vas
02-14-07, 06:57 AM
I have issues that if I have my HDTV plugged into my second DVI port when I boot up, my LCD goes dead after the progress bar screen.
Is it just the LCD that goes dead or does the computer itself freeze up? Is there any disk activity when your monitor dies?

Tried 100.64, same old crap. A few reboots and on the 4th time or so I got a failed boot.

vas
02-16-07, 10:23 AM
Same **** different drivers (100.65). FFS nvidia!!

I even went back to xp, formatted everything, got rid of different partitions thinking maybe it is the hard disk or video card. Everything works with the xp drivers for 8800 series. so it is definitely not the card.

...but ****ty drivers.,

vas
02-22-07, 05:36 AM
Took th plunge and updated both, the motherboard bios to the latest beta and the video card bios. This made absolutely no difference to the problem I am having, still I get random lock ups straight after progress bar. If this c.rap doesnt get fixed by next major driver update, the only solution would be to go back to ati. Unbelievable how a whql driver can have a major bug like that in it, not to mention they still ignored the obvious visiul bug with texas hold em where text would flash constantly.

It really does feel like they have a bunch of monkeys coding drivers, cant think of any other explanation for such shoddy stuff.

garikfox
02-23-07, 09:24 AM
Its a form of two things mainly. Mobo BIOS and ACPI driver.

Mine did this with a certain BETA BIOS. Once the working BIOS was available. This issue went away.

vas
02-23-07, 11:28 AM
If it was the bios/motherboard issue, why does it not occur when only using standard vga drivers or different video cards (x1900xt, 7600gs)?

To me it seems the initilisation code in the 100.xx series drivers is the culprit here.