PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this tower?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redeemed
02-09-07, 11:41 PM
I'm planning a new build in a couple of months. Wont know if it'll actually happen till that time. But I'm wanting to build a rig around a Q6600 after Intel cuts the prices. I'm going for a Q6600, not sure of the mobo, the CoolIT Freezone cpu cooler, dual 8800GTXs, 2xGB DDR2 1066, and probably 4x150GB Rapters in RAID 0+1 running Vista Ultimate x64 edition. The PSU will probably be an 850 or 1KW psu, not sure which though- Silverstone and OCZ have some pretty awesome offerings that I'm considering.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if you guys think this would be a suitable case. I really like the lay out of it, plenty of fan positions (I could care less about noise- I didn't get this uber-audio setup for nothing :firedevil), and it looks like it'd be easy to manage the cables. Anyhow, here is a link to the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163067

I'm trying to go with something that not many people have, and the CM Stacker series seems popular. I'm wanting something that would be comparable. How do ya'll feel about that tower? Is it worth the money? From my POV it is but I've never really been super picky about cases.

I appreciate all your feedback an input. I'd prefer to order through the egg, but if you know of a better case that isn't much more $$$ I'd gladly consider it if it is from a reputable site.

Also, if you could possibly recommend some mobo's I'd appreciate that as well. I'd like to have a mobo that is SLi and OC friendly.

Thanks again. ;)

crainger
02-10-07, 12:37 AM
Damn, that's an expensive case!

I read the reviews and they claimed it's crap for SLI cooling and I notice you're after two GTXs. So that might be a problem. Still looks nice.

If you want great Cooling and don't mind noise, the Stacker series is hard to beat.

Oh and wrong forum... You should know better.

Redeemed
02-10-07, 02:57 AM
Damn, that's an expensive case!

I read the reviews and they claimed it's crap for SLI cooling and I notice you're after two GTXs. So that might be a problem. Still looks nice.

If you want great Cooling and don't mind noise, the Stacker series is hard to beat.

Oh and wrong forum... You should know better.

Hey, thanks for the headsup. I'm just curious as to how it'd be bad for cooling SLi. You have a ton of fans to move air around. Mind providing a link for that review?

And I meant to put this in the "General Hardware" forum, must have clicked the "General Software" instead. Sorry. :o Could a mod move this to the right forum please?

--Edit:

You meant the user reviews, right Crainger? Or have you actually seen a professional review of this case?

crainger
02-10-07, 04:28 AM
User reviews. But who better to review the case than someone who has used it AND lived with it? That's why I trust Superklye's reviews. He actually lives with his hardware.

Anyway have a look for yourself. The side fans are down in the lower left corner. For those fans to cool the cards they would need to be further over to the right on top of the PCI-E slots. The top fan and rear fans will help to extract heat, but they wont provide cool air straight to the vid cards. In fact that case appears to be lacking any sort of intake fan. The bottom left ones are sectioned off and are just for the HDDs. I think you can do better for the amount of cash your willing to pay.

Redeemed
02-10-07, 06:20 AM
User reviews. But who better to review the case than someone who has used it AND lived with it? That's why I trust Superklye's reviews. He actually lives with his hardware.

Anyway have a look for yourself. The side fans are down in the lower left corner. For those fans to cool the cards they would need to be further over to the right on top of the PCI-E slots. The top fan and rear fans will help to extract heat, but they wont provide cool air straight to the vid cards. In fact that case appears to be lacking any sort of intake fan. The bottom left ones are sectioned off and are just for the HDDs. I think you can do better for the amount of cash your willing to pay.

Hmm... I really do like that particular tower though. Maybe it'd be moddable so as to allow intake- or I could just get some of those hard drive coolers like that one person did. Hmm...

I realised that there really wasn't any intake the first time I looked at it, but you have 2x120 mm fans up top to exaust heat, as well as twox92mm fans to exhaust the heat. That's a lot of suction unless you get some crappy fans. For 120mm fans I go with ones that move atleast 80cfm though I try and shoot for 100cfm+, for 92mm I try and go for around 60cfm as any more than that and they literally sound like a vacuum. :p

There is the vent off to the side of the case, just above the expansion slots. You could probably mount 3x40mm fans there or something, and that might work as intake, though that top 40mm would be getting kinda' high for cool air. The hard drive cooler method would probably be best for intake to cool the video cards.

Any other suggestions or comments are still appreciated! :D

crainger
02-10-07, 07:44 AM
These guys are very picky when it comes to Cases http://www.silentpcreview.com/article602-page1.html

Even though they look for silence, you'll find the review great as they go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I was wrong. I don't think you'd need to mod. The cooling is top notch. Should be a good tidy case.

Roadhog
02-10-07, 01:17 PM
I hate it. It's a Lian-Li and Antec Ripp off.. Cant this company come up with anything original?

Redeemed
02-10-07, 02:03 PM
I hate it. It's a Lian-Li and Antec Ripp off.. Cant this company come up with anything original?

lol
Um... I was hoping for something a little bit more constructive than that. :p

Thanks for the review Crainger- reading it now.

There are a few other cases that really intrigued me... except they came with complete water cooling kits- and I'm not sure I want to go that route yet.

So, for air cooling only (except for the FreeZone on the CPU), this is the best case I've found so far (in my opinion).

Please, keep the comments coming. Feel free to recommend other cases that would work just as well or better.

Thanks. :D

CaptNKILL
02-10-07, 02:11 PM
Just throwing this out there, I LOVE my Antec P180B. Its a hell of a case. :)

Redeemed
02-10-07, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I know. Again I'm wanting to be a tad different than the rest. The case I'm asking about seems just as functional- while remaining different. That is why I like it so much. :)

Though I have not ruled out the CM Stacker or Antec towers either. I'm just trying to consider some alternatives. ;)

CaptNKILL
02-10-07, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I know. Again I'm wanting to be a tad different than the rest. The case I'm asking about seems just as functional- while remaining different. That is why I like it so much. :)

Though I have not ruled out the CM Stacker or Antec towers either. I'm just trying to consider some alternatives. ;)
Yeah I think thats the only thing I dislike about the Antec is that its very plain and unless you do permanent modding or painting, you can't do much to make it different. I added a 120mm blue LED fan to the top of mine and that looks pretty sweet. Thats as much as I'm going to bother doing with it though.

nmdelrio
02-10-07, 02:29 PM
Stacker 830 Evo nVidia Edition ftw! (nana2)

Redeemed
02-10-07, 03:08 PM
It seems most everybody is implying that I should go with the CS Stacker 830 or one of those spiffy Antecs. Hmm...

I really did like this tower though. I'll keep thinking about it. Meanwhile, please feel free to keep on commenting. I haven't made my mind up yet. ;)

Also, I've heard many mixed reporst in regards to mobo's for the Core2s. Could you guys recommend a solid mobo for a Q6600 that also supports SLi?

Thanks again in advance! :D

**Could a mod please move this to the appropriate forum? I was tired and not feeling to well when I made this thread- though I had selected the "General Hardware" forum but obviously I was mistaken. Thanks. ;) **

Roadhog
02-10-07, 06:40 PM

i second that to the 12th power.

Redeemed
02-10-07, 08:14 PM
Okay, how about this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811107001

I'm not sure that I want to go water cooling, but if I did what do you think of that tower? Seems like a well-rounded solution to me, but I've never done any sort of water cooling before.

Roadhog
02-10-07, 08:24 PM
ew, that case looks like something I left in the toilet a few minutes ago..

Redeemed
02-10-07, 09:13 PM
ew, that case looks like something I left in the toilet a few minutes ago..

Now c'mon- it doesn't look that bad. ;)

crainger
02-10-07, 09:21 PM
A proper water kit would be the best way to go. The case intergrated ones are never really that good.

CaptNKILL
02-10-07, 09:22 PM
I kind of like it but for that much money? No way.

Plus, all that light weight metal probably rattles.

Redeemed
02-11-07, 03:32 AM
So the first case you guys like over the one with the water cooling? Would that be correct?

crainger
02-11-07, 05:47 AM
Yep. Get the first and then get a proper water cooling setup.

Redeemed
02-11-07, 05:50 AM
Yep. Get the first and then get a proper water cooling setup.

Not sure I really want to got water cooling at the moment. I'm thinking that the Coolit Freezone should work nice to cool that quad-core. Then, after that, I might consider full-blown water cooling later on.

crainger
02-11-07, 05:53 AM
:thumbsup:

Baronvonimel
02-11-07, 08:24 AM
Man I think that first tower looks pretty sweet. I got the P180B also and I always regret not having a window. I mean if your gonna go dual 8800's you are gonna want to sit and stare at them sometimes, right? :captnkill:
And I mean for that much money, that first case HAS to have some cool features!

That water cool case on the other hand - I say nooo. Looked kinda plastic-y and cheap.

DiscipleDOC
02-11-07, 09:12 AM
I'm planning a new build in a couple of months. Wont know if it'll actually happen till that time. But I'm wanting to build a rig around a Q6600 after Intel cuts the prices. I'm going for a Q6600, not sure of the mobo, the CoolIT Freezone cpu cooler, dual 8800GTXs, 2xGB DDR2 1066, and probably 4x150GB Rapters in RAID 0+1 running Vista Ultimate x64 edition. The PSU will probably be an 850 or 1KW psu, not sure which though- Silverstone and OCZ have some pretty awesome offerings that I'm considering.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if you guys think this would be a suitable case. I really like the lay out of it, plenty of fan positions (I could care less about noise- I didn't get this uber-audio setup for nothing :firedevil), and it looks like it'd be easy to manage the cables. Anyhow, here is a link to the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163067

I'm trying to go with something that not many people have, and the CM Stacker series seems popular. I'm wanting something that would be comparable. How do ya'll feel about that tower? Is it worth the money? From my POV it is but I've never really been super picky about cases.

I appreciate all your feedback an input. I'd prefer to order through the egg, but if you know of a better case that isn't much more $$$ I'd gladly consider it if it is from a reputable site.

Also, if you could possibly recommend some mobo's I'd appreciate that as well. I'd like to have a mobo that is SLi and OC friendly.

Thanks again. ;)
I thought you were gonna go with 2 gts?

What's wrong with the stacker 832?

Anyways...those are some good choices. Even though I would have went with the stacker....but that's my personal choice.....