PDA

View Full Version : Quad FX 680a Motherboard

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 02:00 AM
First one I have seen. I didn't think the actual Quad FX cpu's came out until fall, maybe it's just the motherboards though. I tried searching for the CPU's on Newegg with no luck. Just letting you guys know who might be interested in it.

It's pricey though, it will be interesting to see who actually goes with the new Quad FX.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-146-04.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131146

jAkUp
02-10-07, 02:05 AM
The CPU's have been out :o

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103866

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 02:07 AM
The CPU's have been out :o

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103866
Oh, I thought they were coming out later. Sorry jakup. I knwo your a mod so if you want to delete the thread, go ahead. :o

crainger
02-10-07, 02:11 AM
Two CPUs? 4 Graphics cards?

How about we make a better engine, rather than just adding engines to the car... :D

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 02:15 AM

How about we make a better engine, rather than just adding engines to the car... :D
I agree with you crainger. Although I haven't many tests comparing the new AMD Cpu's with the Core 2 so I can't really say on how "good" they are. I agree with you completely, make a better engine, don't add another one. Plus, it's extremely expensive for the motherboard and the 2 Cpu's.

I am kind of hoping someone on the forums here get's this setup just so he can benchmark it, and just tell us how it is.

..I'm surprised A12tic doesn't have it yet...

jAkUp
02-10-07, 04:26 AM
Yea there are a few benchmarks out there... but they are honostly not entirely impressive...

AMD is posing this as a Gaming Platform, when I can only think of 1 game that uses 4 threads. Not only that, in every other game that uses single CPU's, a Kentsfield, or even a Core 2 would absolutely destroy it not only in performance, but also power requirements.

crainger
02-10-07, 05:06 AM
I agree with you crainger. Although I haven't many tests comparing the new AMD Cpu's with the Core 2 so I can't really say on how "good" they are. I agree with you completely, make a better engine, don't add another one. Plus, it's extremely expensive for the motherboard and the 2 Cpu's.

I am kind of hoping someone on the forums here get's this setup just so he can benchmark it, and just tell us how it is.

..I'm surprised A12tic doesn't have it yet...

A12tic may be an AMD fan, but he's not stupid, or made of money :D

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 05:32 AM
Haha, like i said earlier, it will be interesting to see who actually buys this.

TiKiMaN1
02-10-07, 10:30 AM
In the most recent Maximum PC the QUAD FX gets it's trash kicked by the QX6700 and the X6800.:D

lee63
02-10-07, 10:38 AM
In the most recent Maximum PC the QUAD FX gets it's trash kicked by the QX6700 and the X6800.:DYeah, I don't know why they wasted their time on it (lee63)

Mr_LoL
02-10-07, 03:52 PM
In the most recent Maximum PC the QUAD FX gets it's trash kicked by the QX6700 and the X6800.:D
Does it give yuou wet dreams?

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 07:23 PM
Ya I subscribe to that magazine also, haha. I saw that also.

CaptNKILL
02-10-07, 07:49 PM
I have a feeling Quad FX will probably go down as one of the least used high end components in recent history. Really, WHY would someone buy one? It isnt faster than Intel's setups, it uses up a lot of power and creates a ton of heat.

Just seems like a total waste right now.

It may have made some sense if it was something that could have been useful as an upgrade (ie, using your existing dual core, add one CPU to get quad cores) but it requires a completely new setup to use.

I'm still trying to figure out why AMD even made Quad FX honestly...

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 07:50 PM

CAN I HEAR AN AMEN?! :D

Bman212121
02-10-07, 07:54 PM
I'm not liking the layout of that board at all, but I'm not really sure how much they can do with it. If you had a pair of Zalmans, your power wire would have to either go right across on of those, or over all of your periphrials, depending upon the case layout.

If they wanted to have 4 PCI-E slots, they really should have used that 7th position on the mobo. If they are going to make a board with that much **** on it, it's time to look an an e-atx formfactor. Most of the cases that are going to house dual gpu's + dual cpu's are not going to be small. If they did that, then they could move the power connector to a better location, moved all the slots over 1, and added in another pci-e x1 between the two x16 that are right next to each other. That would allow 3 dual slot cards + another 16x slot for whatever. Also, they could probably relocate the 12 satas so that the gpus won't cover them up. But what do I know, I'm not a mobo maker. ;)

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 07:58 PM
I have a feeling Quad FX will probably go down as one of the least used high end components in recent history. Really, WHY would someone buy one? It isnt faster than Intel's setups, it uses up a lot of power and creates a ton of heat.

It may have made some sense if it was something that could have been useful as an upgrade (ie, using your existing dual core, add one CPU to get quad cores) but it requires a completely new setup to use.

QFT. All those reason's you mentioned Captn plus money. I know for a lot of people on this forum who have high paying jobs and spend a lot on their PC's it wouldn't be an issue but when its 350 for the motherboard and 500 a piece for a CPU, it's getting out of control. Ecspecially when there is no performance increase from anything else out right now. AMD has some major work to get done if they want to pass Intel.

It goes in strides though, give it a few years and they will. Then a few years more and Intel will pass again. This time however, it just seems AMD will never recover, there in serious trouble it looks like to me.

Bman212121
02-10-07, 07:59 PM

If the price was right, it could be a much more viable solution. The bonus of seperating the cpus is that less heat is produced in one area. Right now everyone with a quad Core 2 is either using a very high end air setup, using liquid, or maybe even phase. If you had a board capable of running two x6800's, it would be about the same as a quad, but using a pair of much smaller cooling solutions could produce the same result. I could probably get better clocks on the box cooler than you could with a quad on air because the heat is spread across two of them.

Bman212121
02-10-07, 08:02 PM
QFT. All those reason's you mentioned Captn plus money. I know for a lot of people on this forum who have high paying jobs and spend a lot on their PC's it wouldn't be an issue but when its 350 for the motherboard and 500 a piece for a CPU, it's getting out of control. Ecspecially when there is no performance increase from anything else out right now. AMD has some major work to get done if they want to pass Intel.

It goes in strides though, give it a few years and they will. Then a few years more and Intel will pass again. This time however, it just seems AMD will never recover, there in serious trouble it looks like to me.

The biggest thing is IMO is they need to be doing this with mainstream processors that don't have the huge markup. If you can get both processors for less than a single FX, the price / performance would increase a ton and might make it more viable. People are already paying about the same price for a board if they are buying a Striker, it is just the CPU prices that need to be worked on.

a12ctic
02-10-07, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big gamer, and never have been, video games generaly arent deep enough for me to enjoy (although some of my favorite games have been very shallow [ok, only doom 3]). So, Im happy with my single core 3000+. Also, I use a pretty minimal/customized linux installation, so I dont really need the extra speed. I was raised pretty frugal, so I'm not a big spender. In all honesty, I cant stand spending over 500$ on a entire rig, much less a single component.

Spartan 117
02-12-07, 05:09 PM
ahh, good to see that my CPU is still the king (nana2)