PDA

View Full Version : New Build Problems

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 02:15 AM
Ok,so i know that all the components work... i think.

The mobo im using is a 680i and Quadcore Q6600 and 2Gb of OCZ mem, as well as 2X 250GB WD HDD and 2 Optical drives...

So heres the lowdown.

I have these two optical drives and they wont even work(aka open or light up) unless i disconnect the stupid IDE cable from them, in which case i cant do anything with them at all. Once the cable is disconncted they work fine. What i want to know is... has anyone experienced this problem and how to rememdy it as well as Why wont it post? I have an 8800 GTX btw. And i dont get anything on the screen when i boot(haha since it doesnt post).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Signed 8 Series Noob.:D

crainger
02-10-07, 02:19 AM
So when you hit the power button does it start then go off right away? Or nothing at all?

As for the optical drives, well lets just get the PC posting first :)

First things I would do is only plug in the basic stuff. No drives, USB headers etc. If it still fails to post remove the RAM and video card. Still nothing try another PSU, still nothing. Could be the CPU or motherboard.

Bearclaw
02-10-07, 02:22 AM
As far as it not starting up, check the simple things. I have found when I build a PC everytime it doesn't start up it is something simple that I miss or just think I have covered but haven't.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 02:23 AM
The computer stays on for as long as i keep it on for... It doesnt shut down at all.

ANd i will try what you suggested. My PSU is a 700watt OCZ GamerXstream

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 02:24 AM
As far as it not starting up, check the simple things. I have found when I build a PC everytime it doesn't start up it is something simple that I miss or just think I have covered but haven't.
I have the bloody hands/knuckles from replugging stuff in thanks to my zalman... battle wounds they are.

Xion X2
02-10-07, 02:34 AM
Is there a code on your motherboard? If so, tell us what it is.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 03:12 AM
Not a code to be seen i would have told you guys if i saw a code... =/

Code... DASH DASH= No code.

Muppet
02-10-07, 03:30 AM
You have probably already tried this, but have you tried resetting the bios and loading setup defaults.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 03:48 AM
hasnt done a thing

Muppet
02-10-07, 03:57 AM
I'd start from the beginning then. Unplug everything except the hardrive with the OS on it and see if that boots. If so then plug in one thing at a time and see what happens.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 04:06 AM
we dont have a hard drive with the OS on it...its a brand new build.

Muppet
02-10-07, 04:12 AM
You may need to take it out of the case and see if it will boot up with no drives pluged in. About the only thing i can come up with is a short or a faulty mobo.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 04:21 AM
Just ran it out of the case... its not grounding issue.

Hmm.. looks like a bad mobo. It still gives me dashes... Newegg say... RETURN! How good are their RMAs? I just got this board on wed.

Muppet
02-10-07, 06:38 AM

Hmm.. looks like a bad mobo. It still gives me dashes... Newegg say... RETURN! How good are their RMAs? I just got this board on wed.
That's bad luck, it can happen to anyone.

SLippe
02-10-07, 07:11 AM

I don't know how good Newegg's RMA is, but when I had to RMA my eVGA NF41 mobo I bought from Newegg, I just RMA'd thru eVGA themselves. They cross-ship! :thumbsup:

Amuro
02-10-07, 07:21 AM
Did you try to boot the board with just one stick of RAM in various slots to see if the problem remains?

Xion X2
02-10-07, 11:15 AM
Not a code to be seen i would have told you guys if i saw a code... =/

Code... DASH DASH= No code.

Make sure your CPU power cable is plugged all the way in. This is the only time I've seen two dashes on the LED. I also had no video, like you.

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 11:56 AM
1. I have quadruple checked the CPU cables (dual 4-pin=8pin) as well as the 24pin Mobo.
2. I have tried running it with one stick of ram only.... to no avail
3. I was running on the Black Slots, but have not tried the blue slots

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 04:02 PM
RMA???

Its only 3 days old, should i EVGA it or Newegg? Im not sure which will be faster.

Muppet
02-10-07, 04:24 PM
RMA???

Its only 3 days old, should i EVGA it or Newegg? Im not sure which will be faster.
I thought you worked for EVGA along with jAkUp

RussianHAXOR
02-10-07, 04:48 PM
Haha im a mod, not an employee.

Plus its a weekend. And Newegg ships fast, plus i still have to register the mobo and the videocard they are so new. I think that it would make more sense to send it back to newegg since its DOA but i think that EVGA might be faster, imho i ono.

buffbiff21
02-20-07, 05:57 PM
Yeah I have the exact same problem. - - post code.

My guess is short circuit on mobo.

Though, my rig was up and running a few days ago... Try RMA.

haxor try unplugging BOTH Ram sticks, and take the CPU out. Power on. If it sort of powers on but does not POST beep, the we have the EXACT same problem.

Scratch
03-06-07, 01:09 AM
Hi, new to the forum but have the same issue and the EVGA board is down. I called them and was given a probable doa
My issue is that this is the 3rd board I'm on. I bought 2 boards and built 2 rigs one of which I am very happily using.
The other had two led dashes on boot. The board and accessory fans all start, the dvd rom starts and it sounds like the HD starts but that is all I get. I called EVGA and did as asked removing all components until I was down to a stick of ram and the cpu with the zalman heatsink...nothing worked
I rma'd the board and received the new one today. Put everything back together and I have exactly the same problem OMG
Any helpful suggestions would be nice otherwise I am sending this one back to EVGA and saying screw the middle guy send me a board that works

daveao
03-11-07, 05:56 PM
Are u using the stock cpu HS? Add on brackets can cause shorts and some HS's have trouble fitting.