PDA

View Full Version : What's the most stable mobo for 8800 GTX SLI?

Pages : [1] 2

Sc0rp10n
02-10-07, 07:44 PM
There are only 4 nForce 680i boards listed. I'm most familiar with EVGA and BFG brands, but I'm hearing bad things about the EVGA board. What would be the most stable board for an SLI setup with 8800 GTX's? I'm not planning on overclocking and will be using an 850-watt PSU.

Zelda_fan
02-10-07, 07:48 PM
ASUS Striker Extreme from what I've heard.

But if you need absolute uncompromising 100% stability, then you need to go with an Intel chipset. They make the most stable chipsets in the industry bar none. I am personally using a genuine Intel BadAxe2 motherboard in my new build because it is considered the most stable motherboard (short of a $1000+ server board) available today. I ditched SLi support and went with a 975 board for this very reason. The chipset is tried and true and a proven stability champ.

Yes, this means you have to give up SLi, but they do have crossfire support and the R600 is just around the corner :)

Sc0rp10n
02-10-07, 07:58 PM
Yeah, despite the recent driver fiasco for nVidia, I think I'm still going to stick with them. I've always gone with Intel boards in the past and had good luck, so I'm a bit nervous going outside of that. I'm wondering why Intel offers a board with Xfire since AMD is in bed with ATI these days. It would only make sense for Intel to focus on nVidia instead. That move always surprised me.

Zelda_fan
02-10-07, 08:10 PM
Yeah, despite the recent driver fiasco for nVidia, I think I'm still going to stick with them. I've always gone with Intel boards in the past and had good luck, so I'm a bit nervous going outside of that. I'm wondering why Intel offers a board with Xfire since AMD is in bed with ATI these days. It would only make sense for Intel to focus on nVidia instead. That move always surprised me.

It's not Intel that has the problem it's nVidia.

The 975x chipset was supposed to support both crossfire and SLi... and it does, you just need drivers that will let SLi work. Some enthusiasts have actually hacked nVidia drivers to allow SLi to work with a 975x chipset. Unfortunately, as soon as they were released nVidia came down and demanded their removal. You can still find them if you look hard enough, but they are really outdated, and if you want Vista support then it isn't going to happen.

Bottom line is that nVidia wants SLi as a proprietary technology so they can gain a bigger foothold on the chipset market. Notice how you are still going with the 680i because you can't do SLi on an Intel chipset? That is exactly what nVidia wants you to do.

Sc0rp10n
02-10-07, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, makes sense I guess. But you'd think they would also want a stable setup out there too. Too many bad experiences on sub-par 680i mobos drives business the ATI/AMD way.

a12ctic
02-10-07, 08:16 PM
Nvidia makes some very nice, stable boards, from what I've heard the 650 series is VERY stable. I'd check that out.

Roadhog
02-10-07, 08:21 PM
Nvidia makes some very nice, stable boards, from what I've heard the 650 series is VERY stable. I'd check that out.

Nvidia doesn't make Boards....

Dazz
02-10-07, 08:22 PM
The 680i is very stable if you cool your motherboard right these chips get VERY HOT hence peoples failing and stability issues. I am RMAing my P5N32-E as it simply does not like my Corsair Dominator PC6400 memory i am trying out ABIT's offering IN9 32X MAX Wifi. Nice to have a PCI-E 1x wireless card :)

a12ctic
02-10-07, 08:23 PM
Ok fine, I've heard that the 650 series CHIPSETS are very stable.

jAkUp
02-10-07, 09:00 PM

The 680i board is an NVIDIA board ;)

TiKiMaN1
02-10-07, 10:13 PM
ASUS Striker Extreme from what I've heard.

Sure is nice to hear someone say that besides myself.;)

I actually believe all the different 680i boards have their good points. I also have great faith in the EVGA board since many of my friends here use it.

Abit may be another place look. I have had some really nice boards by them.

Personally I just really like the 680i chipset what can i say?:D

Roadhog
02-10-07, 10:44 PM
The 680i board is an NVIDIA board ;)

the chipset is.. Nvidia doesn't manufacture the boards in house... or do they.. lol

stevemedes
02-10-07, 10:53 PM
the chipset is.. Nvidia doesn't manufacture the boards in house... or do they.. lol

well i guess they drew up the reference design that all of them follow, i dont know if they actually *MAKE* the boards themselves.

nvnews-reader
02-11-07, 05:20 PM

They designed the board and outsourced the production to a contract manufacturer. EVGA, BFG, and others buy the finished boards direct from NVIDIA.

So yes, it is an NVIDIA made board as much as an HP PC is HP manufactured or a Cisco router is Cisco manufactured.

I really wanted to buy one but data corruption freaks me out. I guess I'll buy an Intel board now. :|

Roadhog
02-11-07, 05:38 PM
They designed the board and outsourced the production to a contract manufacturer. EVGA, BFG, and others buy the finished boards direct from NVIDIA.

So yes, it is an NVIDIA made board as much as an HP PC is HP manufactured or a Cisco router is Cisco manufactured.

I really wanted to buy one but data corruption freaks me out. I guess I'll buy an Intel board now. :|

really :o So the other companies like Asus just buy the boards and slap their name on it?

Zelda_fan
02-11-07, 07:21 PM

They don't actually do the manufacturing , but the actual board layout and PCB design and engineering schematics are made by nVidia. Companies like eVGA just contract out someone to put all the components on the PCB.

Sc0rp10n
02-11-07, 09:11 PM

/me raises hand to being freaked out by data corruption also

D!Z
02-12-07, 12:37 AM
i have the evga and its been stable for me. each time a bios was posted had no probs and me being the computer noob i am and hateeee touching anything that has too do with bios, its been smooth sailing.

Spartan 117
02-12-07, 04:13 PM
EVGA 680i mobo has been really stable for me, had a few issues with my ram, but it stook sum adjustments to my timings and it works good now :)

Shaitan
02-14-07, 07:08 PM
I am gonna add another GTX by Summer. Or Crysis, whichever arrives 1st.

Xion X2
02-14-07, 07:45 PM
All the 680i boards are bugged. If Intel made an SLI compatible chipset I would be all over it like white on rice and never look at an nvidia chipset again as long as I lived.

I loved my BFG 680i until the last 3 days when I've been pulling my hair out trying to achieve a stable overclock. It just will not run stable with an FSB over 350--no matter what I try. Memory timings, memory voltage, MCP voltage, SPP voltage, FSB voltage--whatever you adjust just has no effect. I was working on the thing last night from 10p-7a this morning.

The strange thing is that the platform will zip through processor stress-tests all day long, but the moment you try to run a blend test in Orthos or Prime it will just freeze randomly out of the blue when doing casual things like surfing the web or opening up windows explorer.

I think this board has a real bug with the memory syncing properly when you overclock the FSB a little. I had it at what appeared to be stable at 400mhz on the FSB for a night, but once I started to get into some applications that used up some memory it began freezing up randomly and corrupting Windows files all over the place. This is all on the newest BIOS release that BFG has put out, the P24.

I know the P25 just came out and is supposed to improve the memory issues, but honestly, I just don't know if I have the patience to go through all of this again. I just want to play some games for crying out loud so I'm probably just going to leave it at 3.2 and be done with it.

To summarize, the 680i's are great if you care more about SLI than you do about overclocking. Unless you have an unlocked multiplier, the chance is too great that you're going to run into some problems when trying to up the FSB past a certain point.

Sc0rp10n
02-14-07, 08:10 PM
What about if you don't plan on doing any overclocking (I know, that's blasphemy around here). But seriously, if I'm taking everything stock, would the EVGA 680i board be stable?

Xion X2
02-14-07, 08:38 PM
What about if you don't plan on doing any overclocking (I know, that's blasphemy around here). But seriously, if I'm taking everything stock, would the EVGA 680i board be stable?

Pretty much, yes. As long as you flash to the P24 BIOS or later.

buffbiff21
02-14-07, 09:18 PM
All the 680i boards are bugged. If Intel made an SLI compatible chipset I would be all over it like white on rice and never look at an nvidia chipset again as long as I lived.

I loved my BFG 680i until the last 3 days when I've been pulling my hair out trying to achieve a stable overclock. It just will not run stable with an FSB over 350--no matter what I try. Memory timings, memory voltage, MCP voltage, SPP voltage, FSB voltage--whatever you adjust just has no effect. I was working on the thing last night from 10p-7a this morning.

The strange thing is that the platform will zip through processor stress-tests all day long, but the moment you try to run a blend test in Orthos or Prime it will just freeze randomly out of the blue when doing casual things like surfing the web or opening up windows explorer.

I think this board has a real bug with the memory syncing properly when you overclock the FSB a little. I had it at what appeared to be stable at 400mhz on the FSB for a night, but once I started to get into some applications that used up some memory it began freezing up randomly and corrupting Windows files all over the place. This is all on the newest BIOS release that BFG has put out, the P24.

I know the P25 just came out and is supposed to improve the memory issues, but honestly, I just don't know if I have the patience to go through all of this again. I just want to play some games for crying out loud so I'm probably just going to leave it at 3.2 and be done with it.

To summarize, the 680i's are great if you care more about SLI than you do about overclocking. Unless you have an unlocked multiplier, the chance is too great that you're going to run into some problems when trying to up the FSB past a certain point.

1:1 ratio? That is what solved all my problems, i had similar memory problems up to 375 fsb.

Xion X2
02-14-07, 11:28 PM
1:1 ratio? That is what solved all my problems, i had similar memory problems up to 375 fsb.

[Edit] Actually, I did take a look at that. But I just checked in my BIOS and realized why I never did it. It sets my memory @ 1334mhz on a 400FSB, and it just will not run at that speed. It's rated at 1000mhz.

I did try the other ratios that would allow me a speed within reason with no success.

What speed is your memory rated at and what speed do you have it running on a 1:1 ratio when overclocked?