PDA

View Full Version : PS3 March Update

Marvel_us
02-10-07, 10:49 PM
On the same day as playstation 3’s euro launch SCE are to distribute there march firmware update with features including:

*multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the *xmb and its features/ gameplay).
*new xmb display options
*new animations for audio playback.
*new photo album options.
*playstation store auto resume
*psp remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your ps3’s content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Firmware will be constantly updated, with the view of a tv tuner and tivo like service to be available in the 3rd quater of 2007.

Also it is hoped that the same week as the euopean launch of the system will also see the worldwide launch of the ps3’s HDip Camera (specifications to be announced at a later date). In terms of other accessories, Sony dont see it as a necesity to manufacture playstation branded headsets, keyboards or mice, as put to me by Jonathun of SCE’s threespeech.com ‘Third party companies can offer these accessories to the consumer at a price which SCE could not compete’.

A extension to the Sony online store will also make its debut in march. Titled ‘Sing Store’, PS3 owners will be able to purchase songs for there ‘Sing Star’ kareoke programme from a slew of artists and will also be given the option to view the songs purchased as music videos via the video playback option within the xmb.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=219

Can't wait to try out all the new features when the update hits. Keep them comin' Sony!

Also the Tivo service will be interesting...looking forward to info on how that is going to work, as well as the camera.

EDIT: Now that I look this might be old news....oh well.:o

Bad_Boy
02-11-07, 04:06 AM
I'm interested in the new Eyetoy (rumored to be called EYE3 from some trademark logs). I have a feeling it wont be out until a couple months after the euro launch though. Eye of Judgement is no where on the launch window list IIRC.

PSP worldwide remote play and resume/background downloading are also nice though. :)

hoop
02-11-07, 09:58 AM
nice and motostorm comes out that month too woohoo!

Marvel_us
02-11-07, 11:00 AM
nice and motostorm & God of War 2 comes out that month too woohoo!

Fixed.:p

OWA
02-12-07, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I've been reading some of the "rumors" on the march update. Sounds pretty good so I hope they end up being true.

Bman212121
02-12-07, 10:15 PM
Real Multitasking FTW!! That is the biggest thing to me. It is nice that you can play music and surf the web, but I would really like to be able to download content and do other stuff at the same time.

Hopefully they'll push a browser update too, and make the browser better.

saturnotaku
02-13-07, 05:07 AM
Hopefully they'll push a browser update too, and make the browser better.

Yeah, I would like to browse sites without the browser asking me on every since Web page if I want to run the embedded scripts.

OWA
02-26-07, 11:58 AM
I was browsing at the PS3 forums and one guy posted that he thought the March update would include the ability to take screenshots. I would love that feature but I'm not sure how they could even implement that. Most games use all the buttons on the gamepad so what would you press to take a screenshot? Anyway, just curious if anyone knows anything about this and if it would even be possible to implement such a feature.

Toss3
02-26-07, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I would like to browse sites without the browser asking me on every since Web page if I want to run the embedded scripts.
Can't you just install Linux on it and use it to browse the web, watch movies etc.? That would at least be a better option until all of the functions in the ps3 functions properly! :)

Toss3
02-26-07, 12:20 PM
I was browsing at the PS3 forums and one guy posted that he thought the March update would include the ability to take screenshots. I would love that feature but I'm not sure how they could even implement that. Most games use all the buttons on the gamepad so what would you press to take a screenshot? Anyway, just curious if anyone knows anything about this and if it would even be possible to implement such a feature.
Doesn't pressing the ps-button result in a pop-up menu of some sorts? If not then they should just copy some of ms stuff and just put a little button there called "take screenshot"! :D

Mr. Hunt
02-26-07, 12:27 PM

Weird... I have been thinking a screenshot taker would be awesome... glad I am not the only one ;)... I am sure they could work something out... right now simply pressing the PS button does nothing really (well, while in a game), so it could be set to that... or something else... not sure but it would be awesome, and it would make me getting a new wallpaper a billion times easier (especially when they allow us to change the PS3 background ;)).

OWA
02-26-07, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the PS button. I guess they could have a quick press of the button take the screenshot and holding it down bring up the menu. Toss3, I don't know if adding the screenshot to the menu that comes up would work or not. You have to hold it down a few seconds before the menu will come up and that might make it hard to get the screenshot you want. But, it seems like they could just make a quick press of the button be for screenshots and if you hold it down, the normal menu comes up. Anyway, it does appear there is a button that could be used so I hope it gets added at some point. I like taking screenshots almost as much as playing the actual game. So, a lot of games that I might purchase for a console I end up getting for the PC instead just for that reason. Having that capability on a console would blur the lines a little more for me I guess.

Bad_Boy
02-26-07, 02:16 PM
I think capturing video would be even cooler. And then be able to share it with your buddy list friends.
But I could settle for screen shots. :)

Mr. Hunt
02-26-07, 02:18 PM
I think capturing video would be even cooler. And then be able to share it with your buddy list friends.
But I could settle for screen shots. :)

Lets take it slow? ;) But yeah... video and screenshots would be better, and hell... give us customized backgrounds that can play the videos WHOAS!

Marvel_us
02-26-07, 02:23 PM
Well as long as the screenshot or video capture was saved in a file you could just attach it to a message on PSN and send it to whoever is on your list.

GDC is almost here.:)

Mr. Hunt
02-26-07, 02:29 PM
Stop getting my hopes up lol... I would love to get some perfect quality screenshots from some of the BDs I own... but my camera sucks and my photography skills suck... not a good combo.

OWA
02-26-07, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I'm trying not to get my hopes up either but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about it some more.

I was wondering if we'd be able to copy the files from the PS3 to some other media but I just verified that is already there (I'm probably the last to know). I'm still learning what the PS3 can do since I've only used it for movies and gaming. Anyway, a while back, Marvel_us sent me a jpeg attachment to test that option and trying just now I was able to copy that file to a USB thumbdrive. So, if they do provide the capability, screenshot thread, here I come. :)

Bear in mind though, the post I saw was just from a guy that said he had read it somewhere on the web. So, the possibility of this happening is probably not good. I kind of wish I hadn't read that b/c now if they don't provide it, I'm going to be disappointed.

Marvel_us
02-26-07, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I'm trying not to get my hopes up either but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about it some more.

I was wondering if we'd be able to copy the files from the PS3 to some other media but I just verified that is already there (I'm probably the last to know). I'm still learning what the PS3 can do since I've only used it for movies and gaming. Anyway, a while back, Marvel_us sent me a jpeg attachment to test that option and trying just now I was able to copy that file to a USB thumbdrive. So, if they do provide the capability, screenshot thread, here I come. :)

Bear in mind though, the post I saw was just from a guy that said he had read it somewhere on the web. So, the possibility of this happening is probably not good. I kind of wish I hadn't read that b/c now if they don't provide it, I'm going to be disappointed.

Did you know that I can copy a game save to usb and upload to you via email on pc? I think you can even send it via PSN mail. Just a heads up if you didn't know that already.

OWA
02-26-07, 08:40 PM
No, I didn't know that. That would have come in handy especially since I lost all my saves when I reinstalled the system.

Mr. Hunt
02-26-07, 11:58 PM
You can also copy individual saves from a PS2 internal memory card... pretty sweet... too bad I can't find any websites that has a bunch of them (guess not enough demand)... lost my MGS3 Sub data a while back and would love to get everything back... but nobody wants to do it for me :(... I did test it with a Shadow of the Colossus save game with everything unlocked and the guy that got it said it worked... pretty nice.