PDA

View Full Version : Connecting front audio ports

mojoman0
02-11-07, 12:21 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to connect the front audio ports on my case to my sound card. I've got an audigy 2 value and was wondering if this was possible. I know it worked fine with the onboard sound chip, but is there a way to hook these ports up with a sound card?

crainger
02-11-07, 12:49 AM
There is, but it's kind of fiddly.

What kind of case do you have? Shouldn't make a difference, but it might help in finding something on Google.

I know it's fairly simple to do this with my Coolermaster 830 and my x-fi. I never bothered with though.

Starscream
02-11-07, 01:55 AM
http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/

Starscream
02-11-07, 05:11 PM
I was bored so I built this for myself today at work.

http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfifpmodbq5.jpg

It works very well with my X-Fi Extreme Music.

mojoman0
02-12-07, 06:54 PM
hah well I've got a Coolermaster Centurion 5 and the audio ports have little black female single headers on there...I've done all that crimping and stuff in lab before but it looks like too much of a pain in the ass...there isnt just a pin on the sound card for input and one for output that I can directly hook my ports up to?

Redeemed
02-12-07, 07:09 PM
I've never plugged any of the front ports (audio, USB, firewire, etc) in. I've tried to attempt it, but gave up. :p

Too much work! :p

mojoman0
02-12-07, 07:33 PM
yea u need small fingers to hook em up to the mobo...or pliers and steady hands, but does anyone know if the headers are ready to just plug onto the sound card?

Starscream
02-12-07, 11:12 PM
yea u need small fingers to hook em up to the mobo...or pliers and steady hands, but does anyone know if the headers are ready to just plug onto the sound card?

Yes you can just plug them straight into the sound card if they are individual connectors and not a block.

The problem is the pins on the X-Fi are smaller than the regular ones on a motherboard and the case connectors will tend to fall off. Take a look at the links I posted one of those sites explains what each pin on the X-Fi does. Take that info and match it up to what your headers are labeled.