PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux on PS3

|MaguS|
02-11-07, 09:18 PM
Has anyone done it yet? Im thinking about doing it but don't know which OS is most compatible with the hardware.

saturnotaku
02-11-07, 09:29 PM
Yellow Dog Linux was specifically written for the PS3, though I've read about Ubuntu working. There are several guides online, though Yellow Dog seems to have the best documentation. I'm not going to install Linux unless I upgrade to a larger hard drive, which won't be for quite a while yet.

|MaguS|
02-11-07, 09:39 PM
Bah YDL isn't free...

Mathesar
02-12-07, 10:02 AM
I'd like to install Linux on my PS3 just so I can play .x264 / .ts hd files , but ive heard its a big hassle to get these programs working in yellowdog? (such as VLC player).

Lyme
02-12-07, 12:04 PM
The specifications and api for the ps3 graphics hardware (RSX), has not been released at this time. Sony/nVidia do not want to release those specs to the public. As such, until a 3rd party makes drivers, your really only using a small amount of the system capability when you use linux.

|MaguS|
02-12-07, 01:37 PM
The specifications and api for the ps3 graphics hardware (RSX), has not been released at this time. Sony/nVidia do not want to release those specs to the public. As such, until a 3rd party makes drivers, your really only using a small amount of the system capability when you use linux.

I don't care... I don't plan on coding anything for it. I just want multimedia capabilities. If I wanted to code for the PS3, I would go back to work for EA but yeah... thats not going to happen.

OWA
02-12-07, 08:16 PM
Are you planning to run a media center type replacement or what?

|MaguS|
02-12-07, 08:22 PM
Are you planning to run a media center type replacement or what?

Well not a replacement since well I dont have a MC PC but would like to substitute one with my PS3.

Lyme
02-12-07, 10:12 PM
Well not a replacement since well I dont have a MC PC but would like to substitute one with my PS3.

You could pickup a usb tv encoder and beyondtv, both should work fine on the ps3 for being a media extender.

crainger
08-12-07, 08:42 PM
Bit of a thread dig, but has anyone tried Yellow Dog on their PS3? Good? Bad? Ugly?

|MaguS|
08-12-07, 08:53 PM
Bit of a thread dig, but has anyone tried Yellow Dog on their PS3? Good? Bad? Ugly?
I didn't want to try, you gotta reformat the PS3 and I got alot of things on it.

nrdstrm
08-12-07, 09:02 PM
@ Magus...

X264 won't play through Nero Home wireless to the PS3? I could have sworn I've done that...Could be wrong though...

|MaguS|
08-12-07, 09:07 PM
@ Magus...

X264 won't play through Nero Home wireless to the PS3? I could have sworn I've done that...Could be wrong though...

Hmm, Let me test it.

Nope, Doesn't even list them on the media server.

crainger
08-12-07, 09:14 PM
I didn't want to try, you gotta reformat the PS3 and I got alot of things on it.

PS3 takes a normal Lappy drive doesn't it? I have a spare 20gb one round. I might test it with that...

penitent_one
08-13-07, 09:12 PM
What I can't wait for is a Cell optimized video encoder in Linux. The app would run circles around most other ones.

Nobody on handbrake wants to do this though, so ... :(