PDA

View Full Version : Which is faster...?

DiscipleDOC
02-11-07, 10:53 PM
1 Raptor HD, or 2 160GB WD HD with 16mb Cache in RAID?

I want to have one of these configs as my os drive.....

Roadhog
02-11-07, 10:55 PM
raptor

Q
02-11-07, 10:57 PM
Depends on what you're going to be doing. For general OS and Gaming, the Raptor will likely be faster.

Zelda_fan
02-11-07, 11:07 PM
As far as HDs go, I am more concerned about quietness. As long as your system has a decent amount of RAM a faster HD isn't going to do much unless you get one of those uber-server SCSI drives which will set you back 3 grand.

But that's just my two cents and if you are totally concerned with speed then go for a raptor.

Q
02-11-07, 11:13 PM
As far as HDs go, I am more concerned about quietness. As long as your system has a decent amount of RAM a faster HD isn't going to do much unless you get one of those uber-server SCSI drives which will set you back 3 grand.

But that's just my two cents and if you are totally concerned with speed then go for a raptor.

I'm with you on this. I have 4 HDs in my system. I have 3 WD (2 320's and a 500) and a 500gb Samsung. All four of these together are quieter than a Raptor.

DiscipleDOC
02-12-07, 12:08 AM
Dang...are the Raptors that loud? :(

Rytr
02-12-07, 12:15 AM
I think you would benefit the most from the Raptor.
I say this having four 74GB Raptors now running in my P160 case plus a WD 200GB IDE drive for storage (I am using the IDE drive because the P5N-E has only 4 SATA connections but it does have two separate IDE connections). I just finished formatting the Raptors and they make no desernable noise. At 10K they do vibrate but the drive bay mountings use rubber grommets that prevent any metal to metal contact.