PDA

View Full Version : Does Vista Ultimate 32bit need SATA Driver before install

john19055
02-12-07, 06:10 AM
I was trying to instal my beta copy I have and how do you do the SATA drivers for running raid ,I have my Ultimate Copy ready to go but I have never installed Vista before and I need to know is there a driver I need to install like I do in Win XP.With XP I have to push F-6 and then load the raid drivers ,Is Vista the same way or do you not have to load any driver to get raid to work.

pingu2
02-12-07, 06:15 AM
my sata raid-0 was detected without needing any additional drivers ;)

bigjohns97
02-12-07, 08:17 PM
no driver needed :thumbsup:

john19055
02-13-07, 09:52 AM
Does that include the Beta-2 of Vista because when i tried to install it ,it said it could not reconise my hardrives.

Ancient
02-13-07, 10:04 AM
It's unlikely to be in there for Beta 2 since the 600 series chipset wasn't even released at that time.

Not every SATA driver is in Vista RTM either. I used the GigaRAID SATA ports in my motherboard and had to use the Gigabyte pre-install SATA driver to have the drive recognized because it refused to install properly when using the Intel SATA ports. Fortunately you don't have to hit F6 in Vista like you do in XP, and you aren't limited to only using a floppy drive, which is nice.

Q
02-13-07, 10:46 AM
Be careful after you install Vista, though. The official Nforce drivers and the one ones Windows Update pushes might cause you issues. I get a BSOD after installing either (doesn't matter 32 or 64 bit). After the BSOD, all is well, except my array has to rebuild. No big deal, but a bit of warning.

fivefeet8
02-13-07, 11:58 AM
I was trying to instal my beta copy I have and how do you do the SATA drivers for running raid ,I have my Ultimate Copy ready to go but I have never installed Vista before and I need to know is there a driver I need to install like I do in Win XP.With XP I have to push F-6 and then load the raid drivers ,Is Vista the same way or do you not have to load any driver to get raid to work.

Vista asks you during the install where to install it. During that time, you can install additional HD raid drivers using a floppy. Or if you're installing it while running/within winXp, you can install the drivers from other sources.

yakumo
02-13-07, 02:00 PM
You can use other sources irrespective of doing the install from within another OS, or booting from DVD.

john19055
02-14-07, 02:00 AM
I was useing a floppy and had all the drivers I could find for the Vista 32bit SATA raid drivers ,but it kept saying the drivers I had could not be found ,I tried it even with the CD,I guess I could make my life a little easier by installing my Full copy of Windows 32bit Vista Ultimate,but I was wanting to try the Vista beta-2 first to get the feel of vista before I do my real install.