PDA

View Full Version : Installing AMD Opteron 170; Any Patches/Hotfixes To Install?

Pages : [1] 2

SLippe
02-12-07, 11:24 AM
I'll be replacing my current CPU with an AMD Opteron 170 here in a few hours and I was wanting to know a few things for preperation. Are there any Patches or Hotfixes I need for this CPU? Any help along with links to what I need to install would be greatly appreciated. I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. Thank you.

- SLippe

darkrider01
02-12-07, 01:37 PM
I installed the Dual-Core hotfix for XP and I installed the Cool-n-Quiet software from AMD's site. All has been well.

Are you planning on just a CPU swap?

If you are planning on just doing a CPU swap, be aware that you will have to change the HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor PC in order to have both cores functional. From what I have read, you can do all this from the device manager.

Aside from all that, I love my Opty 170 and see no reason to upgrade any time soon. I modestly overclocked mine to 2.5GHz at 1.45V (10x250). It runs fantastic for weeks on end. Enjoy :D

Xion X2
02-12-07, 03:05 PM
Whatever you do, don't install the dual-core optimizer off AMD's site. I can't speak directly for Opterons, but I know for a fact that it screws the X2's up.

Q
02-12-07, 03:47 PM
Whatever you do, don't install the dual-core optimizer off AMD's site. I can't speak directly for Opterons, but I know for a fact that it screws the X2's up.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I noticed a slight general *omph* which could just be placebo, but definitely an improvement in quite a few games. Not higher MAX fps, but less stuttering and a higher MIN.

Xion X2
02-12-07, 04:16 PM
I've had the exact opposite experience. I noticed a slight general *omph* which could just be placebo, but definitely an improvement in quite a few games. Not higher MAX fps, but less stuttering and a higher MIN.

Man. I've seen that tool screw up three straight computers that had X2s in them. Caused stuttering and sudden framerate drops all over the place.

I'd advise installing the latest driver, but no utilities or the dual-core optimizer.

Gregor976
02-12-07, 04:20 PM
I installed 2 things when I swapped my Venice 3000+. The newest AMD cpu driver and the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer. It fixes a lot of apps "games" that have problems with dual core. It hasn't caused any stuttering on my system.

Enjoy the dual core. I hope you get a nice oc out of it. :)

SLippe
02-12-07, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I've read about the Optimizer thing, but this isn't an X2, so I may give it a shot. Anyone got links to the Windows Hotfix?

And yes, just a CPU swap only. I'll look into that HAL thing.

I'll report back when I get it installed, hopefully things go a lot damn smoother than they did with my video card swap! :D

grey_1
02-12-07, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I've read about the Optimizer thing, but this isn't an X2, so I may give it a shot. Anyone got links to the Windows Hotfix?

And yes, just a CPU swap only. I'll look into that HAL thing.

I'll report back when I get it installed, hopefully things go a lot damn smoother than they did with my video card swap! :D
I just use the driver myself, from amd. I had major issues with the optimizer too, but you shouldn't need both driver and hotfix, just one will do.

Edit: Linky (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256) for hotfix.

Redeemed
02-12-07, 07:04 PM
I installed the Dual-Core hotfix for XP and I installed the Cool-n-Quiet software from AMD's site. All has been well.

Are you planning on just a CPU swap?

If you are planning on just doing a CPU swap, be aware that you will have to change the HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor PC in order to have both cores functional. From what I have read, you can do all this from the device manager.

Aside from all that, I love my Opty 170 and see no reason to upgrade any time soon. I modestly overclocked mine to 2.5GHz at 1.45V (10x250). It runs fantastic for weeks on end. Enjoy :D

lol I noticed you got that quote from infinity directed at me back in the original spam thread. That sure was creative. :p Great quote. :D

Anyhow, thanks for this heads up- I'll be getting an Opty 185 soon to replace my aging 3400. The Opty should ship if not today then probably tomorrow. Can't wait to finally receive it. :D Sure will be awesome.

Bearclaw
02-12-07, 07:10 PM
Quick question guys - I am looking to get a socket 939 opteron for my CPU upgrade maybe and on newegg under CPU type it says server. I know they are mainly used more in servers but will it work in my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe board? If so, are they better chips than the x2 series? Thanks, sorry for hijacking slippe.

Redeemed
02-12-07, 07:13 PM
Quick question guys - I am looking to get a socket 939 opteron for my CPU upgrade maybe and on newegg under CPU type it says server. I know they are mainly used more in servers but will it work in my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe board? If so, are they better chips than the x2 series? Thanks, sorry for hijacking slippe.

How dare you hijack SLippe's thread. You be careful Bearclaw, or he'll Bearclaw your Bearclawin' behind.

Fear the wrath of the SLippe(ry) one! :firedevil

Thou hath openethed a canneth of SLippe(ry)-fury!

*Runs and hides in fear*

darkrider01
02-12-07, 10:37 PM

If I answer, am I an accomplice to his hijacking?

The Opteron processors made for socket 939 (all of the 1xx series) should work fine in your A8N. I believe that the opteron series is aimed not only at servers, but also workstations. From my experience, Opteron/Xeon processors are held to higher standards than the desktop variants.

stevemedes
02-12-07, 11:42 PM
How dare you hijack SLippe's thread. You be careful Bearclaw, or he'll Bearclaw your Bearclawin' behind.

Fear the wrath of the SLippe(ry) one! :firedevil

Thou hath openethed a canneth of SLippe(ry)-fury!

*Runs and hides in fear*

wtf? :p

Bearclaw
02-13-07, 12:01 AM
wtf? :p
Ya, I don't know. Funny although I was actually looking for an answer. Haha, oh well, it got answered eventually.

SLippe
02-13-07, 12:03 AM
Okay, got it installed and installed the AMD driver and the Hotfix. How do I know if everything is running correctly? I haven't tried to overclock it, yet.

Bearclaw
02-13-07, 12:04 AM
Okay, got it installed and installed the AMD driver and the Hotfix. How do I know if everything is running correctly? I haven't tried to overclock it, yet.
Let us know how it runs compared to your 3400 (I think that's what you had). I am ecspecially interested because I am considering upgrading to the opty 185 within the next few months.

SLippe
02-13-07, 12:30 AM
Let us know how it runs compared to your 3400 (I think that's what you had). I am ecspecially interested because I am considering upgrading to the opty 185 within the next few months.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2.7GHz (270x10) 1.55v
So far, great. Just got the Opty set at 2.7GHz on stock voltage. It didn't like 2.8GHz, but I bet I could get it there with a little added voltage. I'll update my Sig in a little bit.

Uberpwnage
02-13-07, 01:24 AM
The only real difference I noticed in any game or app after installing the hotfix was with Halo. Without it installed, the animations in would start to speed up after about 30 minutes, and it would get progressively worse. Fortunately after installing, the problem was gone. Other than that, I've had no problems, fixes, or higher performance.

Bearclaw
02-13-07, 01:58 AM
I'm excited to upgrade to a Opteron now. How is going from a single core to a dual core slippe? Is it noticeably faster in windows when running multiple apps?

Bman212121
02-13-07, 02:36 AM

You'll know if you try a game like BF2 or UT2004. Your frames will be great, but the game itself feels funny. If everything feels good, then it's not a problem. The easiest way to check if it is a placebo or not is to set the affinety of the app. You can bring up task manager, and right click on the process, and set affinetly. If you tell it to only use 1 core, and the game feels better, then it is the dual core stuttering issue.

I run the optmizier and processor drive and I think it seemed to help more than hurt. I don't install the hotfix, but it might be downloaded via windows update.

SLippe
02-13-07, 05:28 AM
Okay, I installed the AMD Driver first, then the Windows Hotfix and then the Optimizer. So far so good. NFSMW plays like smooth as silk! I have the

*computer just froze, rebooted, removed Dual-Core Optimizer and Firefox restored session*

CPU overclocked at 2.6GHz on stock voltage right now. Anything higher didn't seem to stable and would pass Prime95 at all. Keeping it this way for now. I'll run the usual benchmarks tomorrow.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:33 AM
Okay, I installed the AMD Driver first, then the Windows Hotfix and then the Optimizer. So far so good. NFSMW plays like smooth as silk! I have the

*computer just froze, rebooted, removed Dual-Core Optimizer and Firefox restored session*

CPU overclocked at 2.6GHz on stock voltage right now. Anything higher didn't seem to stable and would pass Prime95 at all. Keeping it this way for now. I'll run the usual benchmarks tomorrow.

:wtf:

Interesting. I hope you don't top out at an oc of 2.6GHz. I should have my rig with the Opty 185 running by the end of next week, I'll be sure to post my results.

I've heard that the Opty's are great at oc'ing- so I'm wondering if maybe your mobo or ram might be holding you back- or just that you got an Opty that doesn't like oc'ing much?

Hope you get it worked out. Keep us updated on what seems to work best.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:35 AM
Ya, I don't know. Funny although I was actually looking for an answer. Haha, oh well, it got answered eventually.
Didn't mean to annoy or upset you dude- was just messin' around. Sorry if I did annoy or upset you though. :o

SLippe
02-13-07, 11:33 PM
Seems that 2.6 is it for me. I can't overclock my memory, as I have four stick of Corsair Value Select and it doesn't like to be overclocked, plus I'm too chicken sh!t to add more voltage to it. I always put the Divider under 200 in my BIOS settings for the memory. Also, maybe if I had better cooling, I could get a higher overclock as it seems that if I add any extra voltage, it kind of heats up quick. At least I got this overclock on stock voltage, which is more than I can say for my old 64 3200+ Venice! :D

mullet
02-14-07, 12:01 AM
Awsome SLippe welcome to the dual core club!!! congrats man. :D