PDA

View Full Version : Matx mobo's with optical out?

shabby
02-12-07, 09:55 PM
Im trying to find a matx 775 mobo with optical out(toslink), and decent overclocking features, but i cant find any. I could always buy a sound card with optical out, but i'd prefer it to be built in.

darkrider01
02-12-07, 10:58 PM
All you need to do is ask the magic egg...:D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186109

I believe it has all you require - C2D support and optical out for audio

shabby
02-13-07, 04:54 PM
Not exactly the brand i was looking for, i think i have some more searching to do.

Zelda_fan
02-13-07, 05:08 PM
One thing as far as optical is concerned. Just because it has optical outputs does not mean it will encode it in 5.1 surround (either DTS or DD). You want a board that either has dolby master studio or DTS connect.

shabby
02-13-07, 08:59 PM
My audio receiver will handle the encoding, this will be my htpc.
I think i've given up on finding a mobo with optical out, that foxconn mobo has a x16 slot that apperantly runs at x4. And most matx mobo's have an onboard s/pdif connecter, so all i need is a $15 card with s/pdif outputs.

Zelda_fan
02-13-07, 09:39 PM
My audio receiver will handle the encoding, this will be my htpc.
I think i've given up on finding a mobo with optical out, that foxconn mobo has a x16 slot that apperantly runs at x4. And most matx mobo's have an onboard s/pdif connecter, so all i need is a $15 card with s/pdif outputs.

no that's not correct.

Unless the motherboard EXPLICITLY states that it supports Dolby Digital Live! or DTS-Connect, it will send a stereo signal over the s/pdif, and your receiver won't do anything.

If you want 5.1 sound coming from your computer, you need something inside your computer (either motherboard or sound card) that supports DD Live! or DTS-Connect.

shabby
02-14-07, 05:26 PM
I learn something new every day, hows the auzentech hda x-plosion card? Seems like the cheapest option for a dts card.

Zelda_fan
02-15-07, 12:25 AM
I learn something new every day, hows the auzentech hda x-plosion card? Seems like the cheapest option for a dts card.

I don't personally own it, but I've heard very good things about it. If my motherboard didn't support 5.1 encoding, I'd probably buy it.