PDA

View Full Version : What you must know about Resident Evil 4 (PC) before purchase

Pages : [1] 2 3

JemyM
02-13-07, 01:29 AM
I think this warranted a new thread because this thread contains what everyone should know before they purchase the PC version of Resident Evil.

Capcom made the original version.
Ubisoft is the publisher for US/Europe/Australia.
The PC game is actually made by a company called NextSource.
It's already published in South Korea, Taiwain and a French website have a preview copy and posted screenshots to verify that Ubisoft's version is the same.

Graphics:
* Darkness is removed. Where the console version covers the game in eirie darkness, night is almost as bright as daytime in the PC version removing most of the feel.
Top images PC, Bottom GameCube: Screenshot 1 (http://www.hidebehind.com/9390F650) Screenshot 2 (http://www.hidebehind.com/4D34550E)
* Daylight is removed. Where the console version is lit up by yellowish daylight, the PC version is just grey dull textures.
GC/PS2/PC comparision: Screenshot 1 (http://www.hidebehind.com/65F336B8) Screenshot 2 (http://www.hidebehind.com/33644324)
* Haze/Fog is removed. You can see at any distance and when opponents run into the supposed fog (that cannot be seen) they just vanish in thin air.
* The PC version uses low quality models from the PS2 version rather than the higher quality GC models, meaning that everything like tree's etc uses alot fewer polygons than the GC version. Look at the daylight screenshots for reference.
* There is no support for Anisotropic Filthering or Antialiasing.
* Despite the lack of effects/shaders the PC version still requires a graphiccard with Pixel Shaders 2.0 to play.

Sound:
* There is no support for EAX, modern soundcard features or surround sound.

Controls:
* There is no mouse support. You are going to need a joypad with two sticks to play it.
* Aiming is corrupted. Analog controllers work as digital ones. You have some kind of threshold that must be passed before the aim start to move and when it does it moves too fast. This makes it almost impossible to hit smaller targets even when they are perfectly still. I hail thoose who manage to pick down the crows in the beginning while they are on the ground, or pick down the 10 blue medallions with just 10 shots despite the fact that they do not move.
* Buttons in-game will be refered to 1-10 rather than "USE", "MENU", "SHOOT" etc. When you look at the in-game players manual it will describe how to do things by using the Playstation 2 controls with the Playstation 2 setup (which might not be the same as how you set up the joypad). You are pretty much forced to guess the buttons on your way through.
* Many keys on the keyboard, such as F1-F12, TAB, DEL, Insert etc cannot be bound at all.
* They did not bother about a real "quit game" function, you quit the game with ALT+F4.

This is not only a sloppy port, by removing the fog, daylight, darkness and screwing up the controls they have removed most of the feel the original version had both if you liked it based on the eirie horror or the smooth action gameplay. When a consolefan tipped you about playing this game, they had never tried the PC version.

What's left is only a rather annoying and dull actiongame with graphics that was hot four-five years ago and frustrating gameplay both because the lack of quicksaves and the messed up controls.

You are better of renting/borrowing a GameCube or waiting for one of the GameCube emulators to be good enough.

crainger
02-13-07, 01:58 AM
I other words. DO NOT BUY!

Stoneyguy
02-13-07, 01:59 AM
Wow! that's lame. Thanks for the heads up. Guess I won't be playing this game.

mojoman0
02-13-07, 02:12 AM
so like a group of highschoolers who live in their basements ported it to pc?

Bokishi
02-13-07, 02:17 AM
Holy crap that is bad :thumbdwn:

Bearclaw
02-13-07, 02:18 AM
Holy crap that is bad :thumbdwn:
QFT. Wow, not getting that now.

Becoming
02-13-07, 02:31 AM
Why in the name of all that is holy would they ever want to release such a neutered piece of garbage? They can't possibly hope to sell enough of this trainwreck to even make back whatever they paid those butchers to ruin the game completely. I don't get it.

JemyM
02-13-07, 02:36 AM
Im so pissed that I am actually looking for a previously used GameCube with RE1+RE4 on the pre-sales market... and I said I would never buy a console.

Not sure I will go THAT far though. They are not worth my money.

Edge
02-13-07, 03:55 AM
Yeah, this seems like a pretty botched port. Looks like they took the quick and dirty method for getting it on the PC (ironic, since the game has been out on the Gamecube for almost 2 years now). UBIsoft's console-to-PC ports are generally fairly good, at least as far as the graphical transition and controls are concerned, but the group that did this one really didn't seem to know what they were doing.

The thing that REALLY confuses me is why the game would require a PS2.0 card to play. Does the game even USE pixel shaders? It looks look a DX7 game, at best. I have a feeling they just rebuilt a low-end graphical engine instead of porting the Gamecube/PS2 one, since it really looks nothing like the original aside from geometry and textures.

It's really a shame though, it might've been interesting to see how the aiming would work with a mouse and how it would look in high resolution with Gamecube-quality graphics. Unfortunately, it seems neither is a possibility with this release of the game.

saturnotaku
02-13-07, 05:10 AM
Yeah, this seems like a pretty botched port. Looks like they took the quick and dirty method for getting it on the PC (ironic, since the game has been out on the Gamecube for almost 2 years now). UBIsoft's console-to-PC ports are generally fairly good, at least as far as the graphical transition and controls are concerned, but the group that did this one really didn't seem to know what they were doing.

At this point, if they charge $50 for the PC version, you'd be better off buying a used GameCube and the game.

crainger
02-13-07, 05:16 AM
It's priced budget as far as I know. Over here it's 1/2 the price as a full priced title. Honestly right now it's not worth it.

I've spotted rumors on Gamefaqs that a user mod may be possible to add the missing graphic effects. I'm not sure if this means that it's all there and just turned off for the PC or if a committed fan has a lot of time on his hands.

NaitoSan
02-13-07, 05:24 AM
Yeah that's so disappointing. I'm looking for GC emulator so I can play RE4 in high res with AF/AA.

JemyM
02-13-07, 05:44 AM
At this point, if they charge $50 for the PC version, you'd be better off buying a used GameCube and the game.

Yeah, lol, I actually found a previously used GameCube on the pre-sales market for that price.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 07:11 AM
Yeah that's so disappointing. I'm looking for GC emulator so I can play RE4 in high res with AF/AA.

there is a working GC emulator?

ralinn
02-13-07, 07:16 AM
there is a working GC emulator?
Not yet...

This is really frustrating. Sometimes I wonder why some developers even bother porting a console game. The market isn't as big as the console market so they tend to put little effort as possible into it. But surely that'll just make sure no one will buy it. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation I guess...

Still, I doubt just mouse support takes alot of resources... such a shame, I know a lot of PC gamers would enjoy the game. I prefered it over HL2 myself.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 07:38 AM
i would give it a try, but in current situation there is no chance in hell.

but thats ubi for you they been really droping the ball latelly on everything they touch

Roliath
02-13-07, 07:50 AM
i'm am extremely pissed...
I was waiting for this game for a long ass time!
I bought a gamecube SOLEY for this game! I sold it after I beat it a few times though.

CaptNKILL
02-13-07, 08:26 AM
Wow is this for real? What freaking morons release a PC game with no mouse support?

I've never liked Ubisoft at all (Dark Messiah is the only Ubi game I've even remotely enjoyed and I've played dozens of them), but this takes the cake.

They must have given this team like 2 weeks and $100 to port this game over to PC. How sad.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 08:46 AM
They must have given this team like 2 weeks and $100 to port this game over to PC. How sad.

well by how long it took, i would say they got 5 chimps together for one year, and supplied bannanas. After a while chips started to learn, and slapped this thing together.

JemyM
02-13-07, 09:07 AM
Rumours has it that SourceNext is actually a company focused on educational softwares.

S.I.N
02-13-07, 10:41 AM
How the hell do you release a pc game with no K/M support? They're a bunch of ****ing idiots.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 10:51 AM
keyboard works, just no mouse

JemyM
02-13-07, 12:45 PM
There's a piece of software done by a german resident evil community that allows you to emulate joystick output with your mouse.

MouseAim (http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~06896726d/mouseaim/)

However, since the joystick controls are crap regardless, do not expect perfect output with a mouse.

Edge
02-13-07, 08:40 PM
Not going to happen for a long time. The only semi-mature Gamecube emulator available right now is Dolphin, and while it actually does play some games, the speed is attrociously slow. You'd be lucky to get 5FPS out of a modern computer. They're working to add 64-bit, multi-threading, and more advanced dynamic recompiler options up and running in it to improve the speed, but it will probably be a while before games are playable on it.

On the other hand, while it does run like a slideshow, the games themselves can look quite good (http://i16.tinypic.com/44u10s6.jpg) in high resolution and with antialiasing and anisotropic. I'm almost tempted to try running RE4 on it to see what it would look like in high resolution.

This is really frustrating. Sometimes I wonder why some developers even bother porting a console game. The market isn't as big as the console market so they tend to put little effort as possible into it. But surely that'll just make sure no one will buy it. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation I guess...
More developers should learn from the example set by Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Now there's a game with an excellent execution, both in its original form and in its PC port. They took the extra time to not only port it properly, but also add a few features and areas to the game.

Maybe they should rename this game to Resident Evil 4: Escape from the Butchered Port

stevemedes
02-13-07, 09:05 PM
How the heck do you release a PC game without mouse support...