PDA

View Full Version : Plugging a 1080i HD device to PC?

JemyM
02-13-07, 06:10 AM
Is anyone around here aware of a hardware solution for plugging a 1080i HD device (HD DVD/Blu-Ray/XBox 360) and play the video/audio output in windows (window/fullscreen)?

Nvidia makes a great fuzz about "PureVideo HD" but I do not exactly have a "HD In" port on my 8800gtx.

Ancient
02-13-07, 07:58 AM
You can plug an XBOX 360 HD DVD player into the USB port of a PC and use PowerDVD or WinDVD to play an HD movie. You can also buy Blu-Ray players for the PC and do the same thing with PowerDVD/WinDVD.

Why would you want to run an XBOX 360 through your PC though? An XBOX 360 has its own processing/graphics power and you would gain nothing by routing it through the PC, if that were even feasible. If you simply want to output the 360 to your PC monitor, use an XBOX 360 VGA cable and connect it directly.

saturnotaku
02-13-07, 08:06 AM
Why would you want to run an XBOX 360 through your PC though? An XBOX 360 has its own processing/graphics power and you would gain nothing by routing it through the PC, if that were even feasible. If you simply want to output the 360 to your PC monitor, use an XBOX 360 VGA cable and connect it directly.

It's especially easy if you have a monitor with DVI and VGA connections. Connect the PC to DVI and the 360 to VGA and you're set. The 360 supports pretty much any resolution that a monitor does, including 1280x1024, 1366x768 and more.

JemyM
02-13-07, 09:15 AM
You can plug an XBOX 360 HD DVD player into the USB port of a PC and use PowerDVD or WinDVD to play an HD movie. You can also buy Blu-Ray players for the PC and do the same thing with PowerDVD/WinDVD.

A few reasons:
1. The HD AV cable only works for XBox 360, not Wii or Playstation 3. Im looking for an universal solution that would allow me to connect any HD device in the future, preferably with the option to record the stream.
2. I have to mess around with cables back and forth to my monitor.
3. I would not mind to take advantage of my 7.1 speakers I have on my PC.

Ancient
02-13-07, 09:36 AM
Your only option at this point would be to purchase a capture card that has component inputs and route the 360 through that. However, they are not cheap and there may be restrictions on their output ability anyway. Content providers don't like people to be able to freely capture 1080i or 1080p sources.

You can already connect the 360 to your PC sound system either through TOSLink (S/PDIF) or by using the RCA connectors, if your PC has those sound inputs available.

JemyM
02-13-07, 09:50 AM
Your only option at this point would be to purchase a capture card that has component inputs and route the 360 through that. However, they are not cheap and there may be restrictions on their output ability anyway. Content providers don't like people to be able to freely capture 1080i or 1080p sources.

You can already connect the 360 to your PC sound system either through TOSLink (S/PDIF) or by using the RCA connectors, if your PC has those sound inputs available.

I would probably pay up to $300 for the solution, if there is one. Problem is, I barely know what to look for. I had a look at Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Plus 710 USB that is supposed to support import from HDV camcorders but I do not think that do the trick.

My Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro have a number of ports including SPDIF input and output.

JemyM
02-13-07, 10:03 AM
Black Magic Intensity (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity)

I do not know if this would do the trick.

Ancient
02-13-07, 10:12 AM
Black Magic Intensity (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity)

I do not know if this would do the trick.
It wouldn't work for one big glaring reason...the XBOX 360 doesn't support HDMI out at this time. There are rumors of an HDMI capable 360, but they are only rumors at this point.

Additionally, the Black Magic Intensity only works for unprotected content. For protected content, like Hi-Def originating from Set Top boxes, all you'll get is a blank screen. It's likely that if MS does produce an HDMI capable 360 then all its output will be HDCP protected. If you search the AVS Forum there's a thread or two on the Black Magic Intensity and the failures people have encountered trying to use it as a capture device to circumvent content protection.

MustangSVT
02-13-07, 10:25 AM
I think you should forget about a universal solution. There isn't one. Just plug the 360 addon via USB, or else you need to connect 360 direct to monitor.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 11:14 AM
you need one of these

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/

Ancient
02-13-07, 11:42 AM
you need one of these

To use that you'd need to use the VGA cable on the 360, then a VGA-->BNC convertor cable to connect to the BNC connectors on the breakout cable, connect that to the card, and then hope it would work. At first glance it seems that those are component inputs on that card but if you look at the connection diagram, they aren't.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 11:59 AM
yes i know what BNC is

I use them at work with XL H1

JemyM
02-13-07, 12:27 PM
Maybe this was overkill. I was merely looking for a way to play console games on my PC without the need to switch monitor cables back and forth, also being able to use the 7.1 speakers on PC.

Being able to record the stream was more a bonus.

nekrosoft13
02-13-07, 12:31 PM
if you had a good monitor, that wouldn't be a issue

mine has DVI, VGA, compoment, RCA and s-video, the last two are useless.

npras42
02-13-07, 02:39 PM
Is this not the kind of thing you need to start off with:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3ZNK&CategorySelectedId=11127&NavigationKey=11127

As for sound, I'm sure there are similar boxes/switches to split sound from various devices and input them on your 7.1 system.

ViN86
02-13-07, 04:59 PM
you need one of these

LOL $1000

gl with that....

Zelda_fan
02-13-07, 05:31 PM
I would probably pay up to $300 for the solution, if there is one. Problem is, I barely know what to look for. I had a look at Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Plus 710 USB that is supposed to support import from HDV camcorders but I do not think that do the trick.

My Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro have a number of ports including SPDIF input and output.

What you need is either a video processor or an A/V receiver, but that depends on a couple things.

Does your monitor have a DVI or a HD15 (VGA) connector?
What speakers are you using?