PDA

View Full Version : Dual GTS or Dual GTX?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DiscipleDOC
02-13-07, 10:05 AM
Ok...I know this question has been done to death, but I need to make a decision.

I'm looking at the DX10 titles, and I'm thinking that I'm going to need more power. I was already planning on getting another PNY 8800GTS, but I was wondering, with the rig I have in my sig, should I just get another GTS and run SLI, or should I get 2 8800 GTX?

Discuss.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 10:09 AM
My vote goes for another GTS. You already have the one, it would be more cost effective to just get another. And remember, if you went dual GTXs you *would have* to get a beefier PSU. Atleast with dual GTSs there is a chance that it'd run just fine. After all, I'm running two GTSs on a 700 watt PSU, and I've got quite the loaded setup.

So again, go with a second GTS. You'll love it- I guarantee it. It should be enough juice to power any of the upcoming titles with ease.

DiscipleDOC
02-13-07, 10:14 AM
My vote goes for another GTS. You already have the one, it would be more cost effective to just get another. And remember, if you went dual GTXs you *would have* to get a beefier PSU. Atleast with dual GTSs there is a chance that it'd run just fine. After all, I'm running two GTSs on a 700 watt PSU, and I've got quite the loaded setup.

So again, go with a second GTS. You'll love it- I guarantee it. It should be enough juice to power any of the upcoming titles with ease.
That's what I was thinking, bro....but I just wanted to confirm it. I'm planning on getting another psu in a couple of weeks, but I think for now it should do fine.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad crainger was able to let you come outside and play....:captnkill:

Redeemed
02-13-07, 10:30 AM
That's what I was thinking, bro....but I just wanted to confirm it. I'm planning on getting another psu in a couple of weeks, but I think for now it should do fine.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad crainger was able to let you come outside and play....:captnkill:

:lol:

Just cause he chooses me over you, doesn't mean you can bash me. :p

Anyhow, you will love dual GTSs. My cpu is a massive bottleneck right now (s754 3400), so I really haven't seen the best these GTSs can do. But even as "crippled" as my setup is- there isn't a single game that I own that wont run smoothly at 1920x1440 w/ 16xAA and 16xAF. Quake4, FEAR, HL2, HL2:LC, HL2: EP1, CoD2 (doesn't support 1920x1440, so I run it at 1600x1200, same with Quake4), etc. All super smooth at those settings. And I'm sure once I get that Opty 185 pushing these babies my fps will recieve a nice little boost.

Furthermore, DX10 is supposed to remove a ton of overhead, thus decreasing the performance penalty better graphics would normally cause. As such, any DX10 game should run quite nicely on a setup such as yours with two GTSs.

Enjoy bro. :D

Roadhog
02-13-07, 10:33 AM
GTX

DiscipleDOC
02-13-07, 10:36 AM
GTX
:headexplode:
:lol:

Just cause he chooses me over you, doesn't mean you can bash me. :p

Anyhow, you will love dual GTSs. My cpu is a massive bottleneck right now (s754 3400), so I really haven't seen the best these GTSs can do. But even as "crippled" as my setup is- there isn't a single game that I own that wont run smoothly at 1920x1440 w/ 16xAA and 16xAF. Quake4, FEAR, HL2, HL2:LC, HL2: EP1, CoD2 (doesn't support 1920x1440, so I run it at 1600x1200, same with Quake4), etc. All super smooth at those settings. And I'm sure once I get that Opty 185 pushing these babies my fps will recieve a nice little boost.

Furthermore, DX10 is supposed to remove a ton of overhead, thus decreasing the performance penalty better graphics would normally cause. As such, any DX10 game should run quite nicely on a setup such as yours with two GTSs.

Enjoy bro. :D

Yea...that's one reason why I decided to build this machine. I didn't want a bottleneck. I will probably be getting another gts next month.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 10:36 AM
GTX

A single GTX is no match for two GTSs.

Then again, DD, if you can afford, two GTX's would smoke two GTSs. So, if $$$ is not an issue (meaning you can afford to get a new PSU at the same time of purchase that you get both GTXs) then go for the two GTXs.

Otherwise, dual GTSs would be your best bet. Heck, if I had known that availability would remain steady before I purchased my two GTSs- I'd have saved up a tad bit longer and went with daul GTXs my self. Hind-sight is wonderful, ain't it? :p

Eitherway though, I do not regret getting these GTSs either. It's the fastes setup I've ever owned. No game that I have can slow these cards down. Even FEAR:XP runs great with these cards. Not much for me to complain about.

skoprowski
02-13-07, 10:42 AM
I anticipated on going with dual GTS', but decided to step up my GTS to a GTX and am really happy. With the driver situation the way it is I would just get one GTX and be done with it for a while. Nvidia already admitted SLI is hard to program in Vista and if your intention is to get SLI to run DX10 (which will only run in Vista) games then I would just save your money and put it towards 4g of memory and a faster cpu instead of 2 8800 GTXs.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 10:49 AM
I anticipated on going with dual GTS', but decided to step up my GTS to a GTX and am really happy. With the driver situation the way it is I would just get one GTX and be done with it for a while. Nvidia already admitted SLI is hard to program in Vista and if your intention is to get SLI to run DX10 (which will only run in Vista) games then I would just save your money and put it towards 4g of memory and a faster cpu instead of 2 8800 GTXs.

You know what, this is a pretty good idea.

If you can wait, this isn't a bad alternative.

DiscipleDOC
02-13-07, 12:16 PM
I still think that I'm gonna go with the GTS (since the prices are coming down), and run that in SLI.

Spartan 117
02-13-07, 05:28 PM
duel GTX if you have the money, nuff said

Redeemed
02-13-07, 07:03 PM
I still think that I'm gonna go with the GTS (since the prices are coming down), and run that in SLI.

Not a bad choice. It's the least expensive alternative in the end, and you wont be dissappointed. ;)

skoprowski
02-13-07, 07:18 PM
Look at Jimbob's SLI benchmarks in Vista with the brand spankin new Vista drivers released today:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86260

They're horrible. I would not rely on SLI to get increased performance in Vista. A GTX would benchmark in the middle between a GTS and properly working GTS' in SLI. I would got for the sure thing and get a GTX- you won't have to rely on SLI.

Roadhog
02-13-07, 07:27 PM
A single GTX is no match for two GTSs.

Then again, DD, if you can afford, two GTX's would smoke two GTSs. So, if $$$ is not an issue (meaning you can afford to get a new PSU at the same time of purchase that you get both GTXs) then go for the two GTXs.

Otherwise, dual GTSs would be your best bet. Heck, if I had known that availability would remain steady before I purchased my two GTSs- I'd have saved up a tad bit longer and went with daul GTXs my self. Hind-sight is wonderful, ain't it? :p

Eitherway though, I do not regret getting these GTSs either. It's the fastes setup I've ever owned. No game that I have can slow these cards down. Even FEAR:XP runs great with these cards. Not much for me to complain about.

well, according to the SLI 8800GTS review posted a while ago, my card is faster in its current state.

Xion X2
02-13-07, 07:42 PM
Look at Jimbob's SLI benchmarks in Vista with the brand spankin new Vista drivers released today:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86260

They're horrible. I would not rely on SLI to get increased performance in Vista. A GTX would benchmark in the middle between a GTS and properly working GTS' in SLI. I would got for the sure thing and get a GTX- you won't have to rely on SLI.

Come on. Performance w/ SLI in Vista won't remain that bad. It's a beta driver for crying out loud--and the very first SLI driver on the OS, at that.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 07:46 PM
well, according to the SLI 8800GTS review posted a while ago, my card is faster in its current state.

In Vista, yes.

Compare it to the more functional drivers for XP and you are wrong. Your oc'd GTX still wont outperform dual GTSs. And in most cases I'm confident that it wont even match the performance of dual GTSs.

Roadhog
02-13-07, 07:53 PM
In Vista, yes.

Compare it to the more functional drivers for XP and you are wrong. Your oc'd GTX still wont outperform dual GTSs. And in most cases I'm confident that it wont even match the performance of dual GTSs.

last time I checked his review was in windows xp.

Looks like i'm Right.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800gts_sli/index.shtml

skoprowski
02-13-07, 07:55 PM
Come on. Performance w/ SLI in Vista won't remain that bad. It's a beta driver for crying out loud--and the very first SLI driver on the OS, at that.

I would agree- but that is a huge gap. What worries me is that Nvidia is going out of their way to let it be known that SLI is a lot more difficult to program in Vista than XP. I really think it is indeed an issue. If the OP didn't mention his concern for DX10 games then it would be a different story. I'd definately recommend SLI for XP. Who knows though- when I get my tax refund back I may be putting my foot in my mouth. It's so much fun playing around with this stuff :)

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:00 PM
last time I checked his review was in windows xp.

Looks like i'm Right.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_8800gts_sli/index.shtml

There are no GTX performance results in that review. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that you did.

Also, read the thread about that review- his scores are definitely lower than what others with dual GTSs are getting.

No, a single GTX will not outperform two GTSs. As to why his results were lower than most others get- never did figure that out.

Roadhog
02-13-07, 08:03 PM
There are no GTX performance results in that review. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that you did.

Also, read the thread about that review- his scores are definitely lower than what others with dual GTSs are getting.

No, a single GTX will not outperform two GTSs. As to why his results were lower than most others get- never did figure that out.

I come up with the results because _I_ have an 8800GTX, and I'm pretty sure its faster than stock SLI 8800GTS's. Hell, I just ran the css stress test like in that review, but with 16x AA and I got an average of 380fps.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:07 PM
I come up with the results because _I_ have an 8800GTX, and I'm pretty sure its faster than stock SLI 8800GTS's. Hell, I just ran the css stress test like in that review, but with 16x AA and I got an average of 380fps.

That's a sweet average. Haven't ran that yet. I think I'll have to give it a go.

I'm using a s754 3400 right now, so there is quite a CPU bottleneck. an Opty 185 is on its way to my doorstep- should be here soon.

I'd like to see just how much of a bottleneck this old s754 3400 is.

Roadhog
02-13-07, 08:08 PM
That's a sweet average. Haven't ran that yet. I think I'll have to give it a go.

I'm using a s754 3400 right now, so there is quite a CPU bottleneck. an Opty 185 is on its way to my doorstep- should be here soon.

I'd like to see just how much of a bottleneck this old s754 3400 is.

im pretty sure still that my card is faster than stock SLI 8800 GTS'.. BTW, what was your 3dmark06 score?

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:08 PM
im pretty sure still that my card is faster than stock SLI 8800 GTS'.. BTW, what was your 3dmark06 score?

Too low. :o

Let me find 'em... just a sec...

Redeemed
02-13-07, 08:14 PM
3DMark06:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=661915

3DMark05:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2377273

3DMark03:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5084670

I have no idea why my scores are so low- except for maybe my CPU being that huge a bottleneck? But I doubt that is it cause games fly on my rig- I can run FEAR at 1920x1440 w/16xAA and 16xAF and all in-game options maxed with out a hitch. In fact, I play everygame I own at those settings without a problem (FarCry, Hl2, HL2: LC, HL2:EP1 w/ full HDR, Quake4, CoD2, GRAW, etc.) I don't have Oblivion so I can't say how well it runs.

Roadhog
02-13-07, 08:22 PM
3DMark06:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=661915

3DMark05:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2377273

3DMark03:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5084670

I have no idea why my scores are so low- except for maybe my CPU being that huge a bottleneck? But I doubt that is it cause games fly on my rig- I can run FEAR at 1920x1440 w/16xAA and 16xAF and all in-game options maxed with out a hitch. In fact, I play everygame I own at those settings without a problem (FarCry, Hl2, HL2: LC, HL2:EP1 w/ full HDR, Quake4, CoD2, GRAW, etc.) I don't have Oblivion so I can't say how well it runs.

hmm, they seem really low...

SM 2.0 Score 2867 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 3922 Marks
CPU Score 900 Marks

decentish... cpu score

EDIT: whats odd is your 3dmark03 cpu score is lower than the 05?