PDA

View Full Version : 8800gtx + 7600gt in same system. Possible or driver issues?

frozenpenguin
02-13-07, 01:13 PM
For running 3 monitors, not SLI. Can you run the 8800 series and a 7600gt together or do I need to get a non-nvidia card for the 3rd monitor? I'm using Vista btw...

karmadharma
02-13-07, 01:36 PM
I asked the exact question a few days ago in the drivers forum, somebody said they did what you want to do (with a 6800) without any issue

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1161726&postcount=4

personally I am running a 7900GTO (I *love* this card) and a 6800GT with monitor #1 on the GTO and monitors #2 and #3 on the 6800GT and everything works perfectly (although I wish supreme commander demo would let me set the secondary screen on the gt instead of on the second head of the GTO)

kevJ420
02-13-07, 01:44 PM
i would assume you actually could. but i think there's some llimitations (although actually they wouldn't bother me.)
1. you may have to go into your bios and disable a pci express slot, so the the card you don't want to use won't be detected.
2. you may need to go back and forth from one's driver to the other. make sure you always have one pci-e slot disabled in the bios before windows starts. and only start windows with the right cards driver. using a driver clean up utility would probably make things problem free.
3. heat may be issue (actually this would bother me) ; if you have a case w/ a side intake fan (or more than 1) it would be almost a necessity (try to use at least an 85cfm fan for intake, (try 90 or higher though), also, you may want either the i-chill or acs3 versions of each card so that the hot air will be blown out of the case, b/c one cards fan will not be on when the other one is. set the fan to 90-95% on each card.
hope this helps, good luck, and you have a smart idea that many overlook.

frozenpenguin
02-13-07, 03:28 PM
i would assume you actually could. but i think there's some llimitations (although actually they wouldn't bother me.)
1. you may have to go into your bios and disable a pci express slot, so the the card you don't want to use won't be detected.
2. you may need to go back and forth from one's driver to the other. make sure you always have one pci-e slot disabled in the bios before windows starts. and only start windows with the right cards driver. using a driver clean up utility would probably make things problem free.
3. heat may be issue (actually this would bother me) ; if you have a case w/ a side intake fan (or more than 1) it would be almost a necessity (try to use at least an 85cfm fan for intake, (try 90 or higher though), also, you may want either the i-chill or acs3 versions of each card so that the hot air will be blown out of the case, b/c one cards fan will not be on when the other one is. set the fan to 90-95% on each card.
hope this helps, good luck, and you have a smart idea that many overlook.

Your post has totally lost me ;)

Why would I need to disable a PCIe slot? I want to use both cards at the same time to run 2 monitors off of the 8800 and 1 off off the 7600. Heat won't be an issue. I've got a coolermaster stacker with side intake.

hokeyplyr48
02-13-07, 03:58 PM
he was thinking to use them individually. not at the same time.
what you want to do should work, because the drivers aren't written for only one card but all cards so it should work. tell me if you have any problems because i wanna run a 8800 gtx and a 7900 gtx

SlieTheSecond
02-13-07, 04:45 PM
Why don't you try it and see if it works.