PDA

View Full Version : I want all my savegames on a flash drive

XDanger
02-13-07, 01:52 PM
is that too much to ask for?
they should add a save to flash option in all pc games or somebody make an app that will do the job.
every time I reinstall my saves are gone, tried just copying the files on some games ,doesnt always work.
It should be as easy as saving on a playstation or xbox or whatever
even amiga games let you save games to disk..

Rakeesh
02-13-07, 01:59 PM
Well, here is what needs to be done IMO.

The OS should mandate that all programs store all user files (e.g. savegames, word documents, mp3's, etc) in the users home directory by default, under an appropriately named subdirectory. Then where the home directory is physically located can be dynamic.

In windows vista that could work as follows: c:\users\username could be a flash drive mounted directory, or be files physically located on the hdd.

I know linux supports this feature, but I don't know if windows vista does.

XDanger
02-13-07, 02:13 PM
all it would take is for game makers to send all saves to a single user specified folder yes.
Im sick of playing the first 3/4 of riddick.

stncttr908
02-13-07, 02:33 PM
Well it could be a pain to do, but use backup software, schedule it, and point to the savegame folders individually.

J-Mag
02-13-07, 02:41 PM
You could just write a quick batch file too. As long as you were alive in the DOS days you should be able to remember the copy command ;)

DRen72
02-13-07, 02:49 PM
Can't a game be installed on a USB drive these days? If the game stores saved games in the sme folder...there you have it.

J-Mag
02-13-07, 03:02 PM
Can't a game be installed on a USB drive these days? If the game stores saved games in the sme folder...there you have it.

The problem is he wants all of his saved games, which I am assuming means multiple games. Even with an 8gb flash drive you will be hard pressed to fit more than 3-4 modern titles.

|MaguS|
02-13-07, 03:14 PM
I just copy all my save games to a folder on another hard drive so unless it fails I have a backup of my save games... hell still have my original EQ saves. :D

einstein_314
02-13-07, 03:20 PM
I just copy all my save games to a folder on another hard drive so unless it fails I have a backup of my save games... hell still have my original EQ saves. :D
Yup that's what I do too. I haven't come across a game yet that I can't just copy the save game and have it work...some are a little tricky to find. But they are still there.

CaptNKILL
02-13-07, 03:39 PM
is that too much to ask for?
they should add a save to flash option in all pc games or somebody make an app that will do the job.
every time I reinstall my saves are gone, tried just copying the files on some games ,doesnt always work.
It should be as easy as saving on a playstation or xbox or whatever
even amiga games let you save games to disk..
Did you check my documents? I've never seen a game that saved anywhere but my documents or the game's folder.

|MaguS|
02-13-07, 03:43 PM
Yup that's what I do too. I haven't come across a game yet that I can't just copy the save game and have it work...some are a little tricky to find. But they are still there.

Only game that gave me issue was UT2004 which considers my saved game a cheated game...

Capt. Picard
02-13-07, 03:46 PM
Did you check my documents? I've never seen a game that saved anywhere but my documents or the game's folder.

NFS U2 saves elsewhere. Under Local settings if I remember correctly.

SH64
02-13-07, 10:25 PM
Problem is that every game uses different folder for its savegames. usually though most of them are located in the documents & settings folders.
best way would be saving your whole doc & set folder to the flash drive.

crainger
02-13-07, 10:29 PM
all it would take is for game makers to send all saves to a single user specified folder yes.
Im sick of playing the first 3/4 of riddick.

Groundhog game?

nmdelrio
02-14-07, 04:05 PM
BF2, BF2142, NFS-C, NFS-MW saves profiles in My Documents.

I always change the default location of My Documents in another drive other than my OS drive so in case of disaster, I get back my games' latest profiles (savegames). So when I need to re-install the OS, I just copy back the profiles.

Unfortunately GRAW stores savegames in the games install folder. I wish knew a tweak for it to save in My Documents. :rolleyes:

crainger
02-14-07, 04:41 PM
San Andreas puts saves in My Documents also. I just reinstalled the game and when I loaded it up I didn't need to rebind any controls and I had a heap of saves :D

Bman212121
02-14-07, 05:53 PM
Before you reinstall just make sure that you have a copy of "my documents", and that will get a lot of your saves. If they aren't there they are usually under program files.

You could technically change the location of my docs to a flash drive, but then you'd have to have that drive in your pc at all times if you wanted to access your data. That would be a simple way to keep most of your gamesaves.

XDanger
02-15-07, 04:33 PM
Theres only a few save games in my "My Documents" folder
Halo ,Oblivion ,Prey ,Company Of Hero's,R6Vegas and 2 GTA games
Still thats a start
Im putting files on dvd as im having to do a clean dualboot xppro/vista install for my new build.

SH0DAN
02-15-07, 05:22 PM

Same here,I have an older 60gb maxtor 7200rpm,I use it just for save games.More recent stuff goes on one of my many Corsair Voyagers (2x 4Gb ,1x 512mb ,2x 1Gb) They are very useful for stuff like that,as well as hauling around a few jpegs of important pics,a iso or two,and important utilities,my resume,contacts list for Outlook,a rtf with every phone number I could ever need,a few dozen sets of drivers,etc...