PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake armour 25cm fan troubles

Jon
02-13-07, 04:33 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but since I bought my thermaltake armour case the 25cm fan has never worked. So I bought a new one for $18 (Its a proper thermaltake one). So I connected up the new one and that doesn't work either.

The fan just has a standard molex connector which I have tried on 2 power supplies now. Has anyone got this case that knows of something special I have to do to make the fan work?

Surely I can't have two broken brand new fans!

DiscipleDOC
02-13-07, 04:51 PM
Have you tried connecting it to other plugs on your mobo? I had the Armour Jr. and I hated that case.

Jon
02-13-07, 05:44 PM
The power connector on the fan has a pass through... so I put one fan before it and one fan after it in the chain.

The fans either side spin, but the 25cm one doesn't. After that I connected it to its own molex on the psu.

I have another pc which has an antec true blue with an external molex connector... doesn't work on this either.

Redeemed
02-13-07, 11:19 PM
Actually, they are working- they're just spinning so fast that your eyes don't recognise the movement. Just don't touch the blades, you'd probably lose your hand and ruin your PC in the process! :p

On a serious note- that is really strange. Maybe both fans are defective. Not extremely likely, but definitely possible.

SH64
02-13-07, 11:35 PM
Nothing special is needed. i just plugged the standard molex connector & it worked.

Jon
02-14-07, 04:11 AM
Ok, problem solved. 1st fan is broken. 2nd fan, the shop I bought it from must have removed the pins to sleeve the power cables. When I checked, it had the 12v going to the black ground cable instead of the yellow 12v.

Swapped the pins and tested on an old power supply and it works now.

I realise this isn't good, could it have done any damage to my PC?

SH64
02-14-07, 06:22 PM
If everything is stable in your system then no.

nmdelrio
02-17-07, 01:33 AM
Ok, problem solved. 1st fan is broken. 2nd fan, the shop I bought it from must have removed the pins to sleeve the power cables. When I checked, it had the 12v going to the black ground cable instead of the yellow 12v.

Swapped the pins and tested on an old power supply and it works now.

I realise this isn't good, could it have done any damage to my PC?

The polarity of the current was reversed going to the fan. If there was a problem due to this on the mobo, it would probablyu no longer boot.

If it still boots, I would say no problem to the mobo.