PDA

View Full Version : Am I really going to see a hugh difference going from a 8800GTS SLI to a 8800GTX SLI

john19055
02-14-07, 02:26 AM
The highest resolution that I will ever run is 1680x1050 and with my 8800GTS SLI set-up. I can run every game with everthing maxed and it runs smooth.If I get them am I going to get that wow feeling of the extra speed,or why did I speed the money for this.

firehawk
02-14-07, 02:30 AM
your going to get a **** load of screen tearing, thats for sure

Xion X2
02-14-07, 02:34 AM
your going to get a **** load of screen tearing, thats for sure

O rLy?

Don't listen to him. No screen-tearing at all here (as you probably know.. since you already OWN SLI.. ???). SLI runs perfect and the image quality is as good as a single-card setup. Nvidia seems to have perfected it with the 8800 series.. the screen syncs perfectly now whether you're in AFR or SFR mode when vsync is enabled.

To answer your question, you probably won't notice a big increase right off the bat, because 8800GTS SLI is overkill for games right now, so 8800GTX certainly would be. But later on down the road when games like Crysis come out I think you'll be able to tell a difference.

buffbiff21
02-14-07, 02:39 AM
I can run every game with everthing maxed and it runs smooth.

If this is true, WTF are you doing asking us?

But anyway... :p Weigh the consequences.

The GTX costs ~540. 2 of them = ~1200 (tax shiping).
so lets take 1200 bucks... and subtract it by what you will get from your GTSs.

one GTS = ~360 brand new, but yours are used. lets say 325 MAX. that is 650.
So,
1200 - 650 = 550.

Is five hundred and fifty dollars worth it?

I would say no.

EDIT: also factor into the equation a new PSU.

jAkUp
02-14-07, 02:52 AM
No screen tearing here either... for high resolutions and/or AA/AF it is recommended :D :D :D

Bokishi
02-14-07, 03:11 AM
So Xion have you confirmed whether or not DX Triple Buffering is a feature of 8800 GTX SLi?

Xion X2
02-14-07, 03:31 AM
Triple-buffering + vsync has been working together just fine in all of my games so far without using DXTweaker. I've played Fear Extraction Point, Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legend, Dark Messiah, Prey, and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes--and all of them have worked without having to use DXTweaker.

And I'm running them all on XP.

Go figure? I don't understand it, but I'm not complaining! I've always hated the double-buffering issue, and it's great to see that it hasn't been an issue w/ the 8800 SLI so far.

Redeemed
02-14-07, 09:51 AM
Triple-buffering + vsync has been working together just fine in all of my games so far without using DXTweaker. I've played Fear Extraction Point, Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legend, Dark Messiah, Prey, and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes--and all of them have worked without having to use DXTweaker.

Go figure? I don't understand it, but I'm not complaining! I've always hated the double-buffering issue, and it's great to see that it hasn't been an issue w/ the 8800 SLI so far.

Really? I was unaware that TB+vsync now worked. I shall try it for myself.

Thanks. :D

SwedX
02-14-07, 10:03 AM
So v-sync does work with SLI now, that was really great to here :)
Not that I use it with my old 6800 GT anyway as it's to taxing of course!

Nice to know that the 8800 series handles that in SLI tho.

maxima420
02-15-07, 04:36 PM
NO you will not. period.
they money spent would be better saved.
the bang for buck is certainly not worth it.
if you find yourself limited atm wait a few months tops and buy two r600s or 2 of the NV refresh. obviously you crave high end with the money you save now and the extra cash you can save up you can buy two of either companies flagship models. otherwise you are just wasting your money on gen 1 dx10 cards imo.
QED

Bman212121
02-15-07, 04:42 PM

Hmm, I tried it and couldn't really tell. I'll have to play around with it some more. The biggest thing is that you really need to crank on games, cause otherwise it never drops below 60 anyway. I use vsync here as well on a few games mainly cause this dell does like to tear. Some games bother, others don't.