PDA

View Full Version : Which driver for AMD x16 series?

tutu
02-14-07, 04:58 AM
I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard (Socket 939) with the nForce 4 x16 chipset. This particular model isn't listed under nForce downloads - but the Intel x16 is.

So which Vista driver do I use?

garikfox
02-14-07, 09:43 AM
None :D

There arent any yet, Vista has them built in. ;)

tutu
02-14-07, 10:15 AM
There are other nForce 4, 5, 6 drivers. :thumbdwn:

So I don't think so. Performance can be improved.

JaxMacFL
02-14-07, 10:50 AM
I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard (Socket 939) with the nForce 4 x16 chipset. This particular model isn't listed under nForce downloads - but the Intel x16 is.

So which Vista driver do I use?

From nvidia's download section, click on 'plateform/nforce drivers', then select 'nforce4 series AMD' in the next section, and then pick the vista chipset drivers (32bit or 64bit) in the last window.

link: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp :)

tutu
02-14-07, 01:29 PM
I'm aware of that - but it used to list "nForce AMD x16" as a seperate entity. Intel still has its own specific x16 driver.

I guess the nForce4 series driver must also apply to the x16.

garikfox
02-14-07, 01:31 PM
I'm aware of that - but it used to list "nForce AMD x16" as a seperate entity. Intel still has its own specific x16 driver.

I guess the nForce4 series driver must also apply to the x16.

That's correct.

tutu
02-14-07, 01:47 PM
I've installed the nForce4 package and both the "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" and the "NVIDIA nForce System Management" have been updated.

The "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" however remains normal and so the SATA/IDE driver did not install. It should say "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" and the driver/date should be provided by Nvidia - but it's still Microsoft.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

garikfox
02-14-07, 01:58 PM
Yeah it does that, When I was using them I just let it be, But others here make there own IDE nvidia driver from other packages.

But in my opinion if nVidia wanted it too install why didnt it.

So on another words, Yer fine. ;)

tutu
02-14-07, 02:07 PM
Well I've done my own investigation.

In device manager under "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller":

[Hardware ID]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053&CC_0101

In the nvstor64.inf provided in the nforce4 package:

[NVIDIA.ntamd64]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053&CC_0101

NVSTOR_DESC= "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller"

So for some reason even though the driver matches, it does not install. It prefers to keep to the Microsoft driver. I can install it with "Have disk" method but I dont want to hose my system at the moment :p

inSpirAcy
02-14-07, 03:08 PM
In device manager under "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller":

[Hardware ID]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053&CC_0101Same on my A8N-E with 15.00 drivers installed.

I thought I remembered reading something about a partial install on nForce 4 motherboards but the driver link is broken so I can't check.

Yaboze
02-15-07, 03:19 PM
In device manager, choose on of your standard IDE controllers update the driver , pointing to the Nvidia folders from the install, it should list 3, 2 SATA and 1 normal PATA/IDE. 2 of these are SATA, once you find the correct 2, they will both accept the driver.

I have done this and it's working fine.

inSpirAcy
02-15-07, 04:39 PM
In device manager, choose on of your standard IDE controllers update the driver , pointing to the Nvidia folders from the install, it should list 3, 2 SATA and 1 normal PATA/IDE. 2 of these are SATA, once you find the correct 2, they will both accept the driver.Out of curiosity I gave this a shot. My machine froze during the subsequent boot 7 out of 7 times. By booting into safe mode and rolling back the driver, it booted fine again. Having said that, this installation usually fails on 1 out of 4 boots in that way so it's probably not directly related to the driver; it just aggravates whatever the real problem is.

Ah well, doesn't matter - HD Tach said my drive averages 75MB/s on reads with Microsoft's driver. :D

shungokusatsu
02-16-07, 02:22 AM
Listed as Nforce series AMD -

Products Supported:
nForce4 SLI AMD
nForce4 Ultra AMD
nForce4 AMD
nForce4 AMD X16

Latest Vista drivers:
Version: 15.00
Release Date: February 5, 2007

Slammin
02-16-07, 08:22 AM
I can install it with "Have disk" method but I dont want to hose my system at the moment :p

That's exactly what I had to do to get my raid working. It shouldn't hose your system, but it will make Vista rediscover all your drives, thus forcing a re-activation.